Chapter VI - Danger Zone

Hmm... so I guess he can't be above the flying limit, if he's around Blair's age, since Maniac still flies in WCP, and I don't hear anybody complaining
smile.gif
BTW, test pilots get promoted just as often, if not more, than combat pilots. They face the same risks as combat pilots, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah like, "Bogey on your tail! Oh, no wait - that's just your engine overtaking."
smile.gif

Either way, Talon could guest star in Recall I guess. Although I'd have to find reason enough for him to do so. BTW, the next section is almost done and the following two are already started.

15. Yeah, but they're all guys!
tongue.gif

23. That's why I'm here...to think.

And sorry about the typo Quatro...er Quarto.
smile.gif

Then I guess it be time for me ta post Chapter 7, oui?
smile.gif

Quarto said:
You're not paying attention, Earthworm
smile.gif
. There had been one dogfight, but Weaver had fought the Kilrathi twice in his life. The first time being his patrol flight with Javelin, as described in Chapter I.

Of course I do, but IMO it sounds like he flown against the cats two times while on the current mission.
wink.gif

Quarto said:
Hmm... so I guess he can't be above the flying limit, if he's around Blair's age, since Maniac still flies in WCP, and I don't hear anybody complaining
smile.gif
BTW, test pilots get promoted just as often, if not more, than combat pilots. They face the same risks as combat pilots, you know.

But Blair doesen't fly.
smile.gif
Like I said, he only went on two mission, only one of them was in a fighter, and he flown them because the Midway needed pilots. Commodores don't usualy get to fly fighters.

Also, though test pilots do face risks, I don't think there's as many of them, and they are of a different kind. There's always a risk that there could be something VERY wrong with the fighter and it might just blow up when you try to change the nav point you're going to, but it's definetly not as dangerous as combat flying.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 06, 2000).]

Yes, Earthworm. We've already talked about Blair only flying two missions. Now I was pointing out that Maniac flies all the time, even though he's Blair's age
smile.gif

As for test pilots, the risks they face are always underestimated, but are grave indeed. Not so much during peacetime (but then, combat pilots don't risk much in peacetime either
smile.gif
), but during the war, yes. Especially at times when the war effort is going badly, and new equipment is needed at such a rate that there's no time to test it properly in the labs. You heard what happened to Weaver
smile.gif
. And remember the Morningstar's jump drive troubles?
Thing is though, test pilots don't get much of a reward in the way of medals and such - those are awarded to combat pilots (I haven't heard of a Distingished Test Piloting Cross
smile.gif
). Thus, it is only natural to reward test pilots with promotions instead. There is a limit to this, of course, since you can only have so many Colonels before things get crowded
smile.gif

Quarto said:
Yes, Earthworm. We've already talked about Blair only flying two missions. Now I was pointing out that Maniac flies all the time, even though he's Blair's age
smile.gif

But Maniac is a special case.
wink.gif
They can’t give him command of his own wing, or a capship, so they just let him fly. He already commander a wing in Prophecy, and that didn’t go to well. Maniac should stay in the cocpit, because anywhere else he’s of no use to Confed.

You mean, because he's dangerous anywhere else
wink.gif
. Still, if there's one exception to the rules, there can be others, non?
...But what are you doing in this thread? There's a new chapter waiting for comments. Get a move on, lad!
smile.gif

Quarto said:
You mean, because he's dangerous anywhere else
wink.gif
Yeah, somewhat.
smile.gif
Still, if there's one exception to the rules, there can be others, non?

But why wouldn't Talon be promoted? If his still in Confed at that time he would probably command a capship. Though if his not in Confed, like with some privateers, or maybe the BW than the age limit wouldn't apply.

It was well written, as always, and the fight was cool, but it seems just to be a replay of earlier chapters. That's all right, though, I'm sure it will pick up soon.
smile.gif

Now time to read Chapter VII...

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back