Catscratch and Vagabond

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew why Ohlander and Forstchen decided to more-or-less leave Vagabond and Catscratch out of the WC4 novel. Both essentially had one scene in the book. Moreover, Blair alludes to the fact that neither defected before he torpedoed the bow of the Lexington wondering if they would be casualties of the hit.

I loved these two characters. I wasn't happy that Vagabond was lost (glad to see the actor in that new flick he's currently in, of which the name escapes me) and perturbed by the complete wright out of Catsratch no matter which path you choose in WC4. I thought that character had a lot more developing to do.

I loved these two characters. I wasn't happy that Vagabond was lost (glad to see the actor in that new flick he's currently in, of which the name escapes me) and perturbed by the complete wright out of Catsratch no matter which path you choose in WC4. I thought that character had a lot more developing to do.

Yeah, it's a weird omission if you happen to save his life. He just kinda disappears from the FMV. It was obviously a money issue since they probably didn't want to shoot everything with and without him, but it would have been nice. That's were the current gen has a big advantage. It costs a lot less to have alternate scenes when you can just use voice over work and in game cinematics and it looks pretty good.

Catscratch could have been good used in prophecy. by this time he would be a major or colonel and could have acted as a (pilot)guide for casey, just like blair.

Any idea why Ohlander cut both characters? From the perspective of novel, it doesn't appear that they defected with Maniac, Blair, and Eisen.

The rush to get the novel out at the same time of the game. IIRC, they used an early script/outline to base the novel around.

The real answer is that they reworked the script to work as a straight narrative and decided the characters didn't really work in that format. Which is true, especially in the case of Catscratch: he disappears midway through the story. That's okay (although still awkward!) in a game but isn't really excusable in a book.

Vagabond was a little stranger a choice, but again it doesn't quite work in a novel to have him die at the end of the first act and then never to be referenced again. It has a point in the game--you need to be convinced to 'hate' Confed in order to fly increasingly direct missions against them--but it doesn't work so well in print.

The novel surprised me in a couple of ways. For one, prior to his defection, Blair came off as a pretty weak character. From his assignment as the Lexington's wing commander, Blair seemed to play only a minor role in flight operations. Eisen had full authority over missions. In fact, Blair did not even learn about the operation in Tyr until Eisen briefed him along with the other pilots. What was he doing this whole time? He obviously wasn't involved in planning.

Later, during the operation to capture Eisen's shuttle, Seether suddenly shows up and attempts to usurp authority. Blair would have been well within his rights as both mission commander and wing commander to blow him and the other Project Hellcats out of the sky.

When hinted to Paulsen that he saw Seether come onboard, he danced around the issue as if he was afraid of what the captain might do. Instead, he should have confronted Paulsen directly. Paulsen may have held seniority as captain of the ship, but they were both the same rank (o6). Also, Blair could have asserted that everything involving flight operations (from shuttle landings to dispersing the maintenance crews) fell within his jurisdiction.

All in all, it seems that if Blair would've used his authority as wing commander, or at least his prestige as a famous war hero, the situation might not have escalated to the point where he would have to defect. Why did he act so timidly?

The real answer is that they reworked the script to work as a straight narrative and decided the characters didn't really work in that format. Which is true, especially in the case of Catscratch: he disappears midway through the story. That's okay (although still awkward!) in a game but isn't really excusable in a book.

Vagabond was a little stranger a choice, but again it doesn't quite work in a novel to have him die at the end of the first act and then never to be referenced again. It has a point in the game--you need to be convinced to 'hate' Confed in order to fly increasingly direct missions against them--but it doesn't work so well in print.
Well, it had already been established in the WC3 novelization that Vagabond, Maniac, and Blair were the only survivors out of Blair's squadron, so who else would they use? It was either use Vagabond or cast somebody as one of the surviving WC2 characters--there weren't really any other "old friends" available to use for the story.

Back