Casper Van Dien?

Originally posted by Manic
True.... but most of the characters never use unneccicary language (Stingray: "Sh*t! Ejecting!") I'd say bailing out in a combat zone warrants it ;)

wasn't one of Vaquero's taunts in WCIII
"Eat Sh*t and die, gato!"?

It's the players who use the unnecessary profanity, not the characters... Well, I tend to anyway:D

wasn't one of Vaquero's taunts in WCIII
"Eat Sh*t and die, gato!"?

Yes.

Though in the PSX version they shorten it to simply, "Die, gato!"

And the award for best non-use of profanity in a Wing Commander game goes to... Cobra!

She's a human who was enslaved and tortured by the Kilrathi for ten years... she doesn't take shit from nobody, even her commanding officer... so when she shoots down one of those furball bastards she says... "Yes, got the son-of-a-gun."

*GUN*?

I've worked with a number of Vietnam vets in my career in retail and found in retrospect that only one of them ever swore. I think that they didn't need to swear to get their points across...

That's real life for you though LeHah, this is fantasy, where things tend to be exaggerated. Cobra hates the Kilrathi with an extreme passion, is this reflected in her speech.

One person's fantasy is another person's reality. I still refuse to believe that Batman is not real.

I've spent about half an hour lookin for it but I can't find it. I recall reading a story in the early 90's (not in the onion or Weekly world news, but an actual newspaper) about some guy on a college campus who dressed up as Btamn and patrolled for crime. Can't find it, but if I do, I'll let you know.

LeHah: Have you by chance seen the Batman of the Future/Batman Beyond movie Return of the Joker? If so is it any good?

Originally posted by Shane
I've spent about half an hour lookin for it but I can't find it. I recall reading a story in the early 90's (not in the onion or Weekly world news, but an actual newspaper) about some guy on a college campus who dressed up as Btamn and patrolled for crime. Can't find it, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Gene Siskel, of Siskel and Ebert, was enrolled in an Ivy Leauge school in his youth and dressed up as Batman, running around and asking where crime was. It took the campus two weeks to figure out who it was. :)

Penguin: Which edit? :)

There's two edits running around: The "offical" release and the original cut that sports a great deal more violence (ex: The Joker electrocuting Robin, Joker stabbing Batman in the knee). I have both cuts, including the official DVD release. I suggest waiting for the "unedited" original cut, which Paul Dini says will hit DVD sometime soon.

Is it worth it? God yes.

"Thats...not funny..."

LeHah: Thanks. I was thinking about picking up the official release this Saturday when the store's having a 25% off all DVDs, but I'll wait. Anyways while we're on the topic any thoughts on an anime DVD entitled Blood the Last Vampire? I hear its pretty short duration wise and the plots a little thin, but the animation quality is said to make it all worthwhile.

Blood is supposedly good, but I'd go out and watch the new Vampire Hunter D movie instead. Anything from the director of Ninja Scroll has to be brilliantly violent.

Originally posted by LeHah
Blood is supposedly good, but I'd go out and watch the new Vampire Hunter D movie instead. Anything from the director of Ninja Scroll has to be brilliantly violent.

Hmmm. I hear that Vampire Hunter D is a remake of a previous anime title. Anyways after watching Yoshiaki Kawajiri's efforts with Wicked City and Ninja Scroll, an uber violent Vampire Hunter D isn't a stretch of the imagination.

BTW do you also own an uncut copy of Ninja Scroll, or do have the Region 2/4 DVD that's missing about a minute of footage? This censor is so stupid, they excise some footage from the film, but leave it on the trailer, which is also supplied with the DVD. Jeez if you're going to do something do it right.

No, all I have is an old VHS copy in my room. My friend has the DVD (Region 1, of course, being in American and all).

I didn't know Ninja Scroll was edited. Whats the edit, exactly?

Strange you mention leaving cut footage in the trailer. Going back the the Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker DVD, they have the trailer contain a 360 pan removed from the final cut. What's up with these people? :)

For information on the Ninja Scroll Region 2/4 DVD censors I refer you to:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/NinjaScroll.asp

Note: Region 4 is New Zealand and Australia. I don't know about Region 2 though.

Additional Note: The worst example of anime censorship that I know of has to be Dragon Ball Z. Funimation Inc (owner of DBZ rights) deliberately cuts footage to make the episodes acceptable for free to air TV. But each episode contains a 'previously on DBZ' segment, which sometimes contains censored footage. Funimation goes to the trouble of censoring episodes yet ignores the 'previously on DBZ' segment, which means footage that was never meant to be broadcasted gets broadcasted. With situations like this I just don't what to say :( :mad:

I remember an article on censorship comparison of DBZ. Piccilo's attack was called the "Screw shot" in America, but the original Japanese line was "Satan's Ultimate Demon Fire Purge" or something else fun. :)

Ahh isn't Japanese fun? The Japanese word for Piccolo's attack is makkankasappo (sp?). Isn't it great how they can turn a cumbersome name like "Satan's Ultimate Demon Fire Purge" or whatever into just a single word? :cool:

Anyways censorship of violence has always been stupid. For instance in the movie Gladiator, director Ridley Scott commented that censorship laws prevented him from showing a gladiator being impaled on a spike fitted to a wall. But this is a movie entitled 'Gladiator' . What do you expect? Guys dancing for joy in the Colosseum?

Which brings me to another point. People are constantly talking about how great the Colosseum is, how impressive its design is, how its been around for a long time and so forth. But nobody seems to care that tens of thousands of gladiators (human beings) and wild animals were slaughtered there for the pleasure of the Roman mob. I mean doesn't anyone care? Does awesome architecture whitewash the building's original purpose?

Back