Capt. Paulse(o)n

I like him because he was FBI Director Walmack in The Rock. He plays the role well and is not too over the top a villian. (Think Jazz, Thrakhath, novel Tolwyn, ect). He seemed to convey another point of view, which would have been ruined were he any of the above characters.

I don't think either Jazz or the novel Tolwyn were over the top villains... in fact, the novel Tolwyn was portrayed in a much more positive manner than the game Tolwyn. I can agree about Thrakhath though, at least after SO2. Before then, he didn't seem too bad.

I agree with Quarto about Tolwyn. the game portrays him as thinking as he did because of the war, and implyed that he enjoyed killing (at leasts thats the impression i got). The novels show that he burned out trying to get the behemoth online so the belisarius wouldn't be able to launch their coup. it was only after he burned himself out that he got those crazy ideas.

with Jazz, however, i must disagree. he IS one of the over the top villians. he betrayed the confederation because the his brother died, killed by the cats, and yet he sells confed out to the cats. i find it strange that he would hate those who were defending Goddard (though they weren't there) instead of those who destroyed Goddard. But that is still no excuse for betraying confed. as palidin says "this is war laddie. we've all lost someone dear to us. that does not make you special"

Thrakhath i've always hated, because WC3 was the first i played (besides priv 1)

and i believe my feelings for Paulson have been clearly stated.

Originally posted by Aries
I agree with Quarto about Tolwyn. the game portrays him as thinking as he did because of the war, and implyed that he enjoyed killing (at leasts thats the impression i got). The novels show that he burned out trying to get the behemoth online so the belisarius wouldn't be able to launch their coup. it was only after he burned himself out that he got those crazy ideas.

Hmmm...I tend to agree with Blair that Tolwyn used and sacrificed people for the Behemoth. Tolwyn replies with something along the lines that he won't allow anyone to stand in his way. No one.

with Jazz, however, i must disagree. he IS one of the over the top villians. he betrayed the confederation because the his brother died, killed by the cats, and yet he sells confed out to the cats. i find it strange that he would hate those who were defending Goddard (though they weren't there) instead of those who destroyed Goddard. But that is still no excuse for betraying confed. as palidin says "this is war laddie. we've all lost someone dear to us. that does not make you special"

War. Yeah. If I was Philip (my real name is neither Phillip nor Tanaka) and I was alive after Heaven's Gate, I'd want to go fucking hunting. Now. Today.

Thrakhath i've always hated, because WC3 was the first i played (besides priv 1)

No explanation is necessary on this, except to say I believe Chris Roberts wanted debates as to who the biggest asshole was.

Tolwyn wanted to be the one to end the war - hence the won't let anyone get in his way comment. i don't think Blair knew about the Belisarius Group and its plans. yes Tolwyn sacrificed people for the behemoth, but look at what his info was: kilrathi gonna take over earth soon, if they don't, Belisarius launches coup and takes over confed, destroying what he fights to preserve - democracy, and behemoth only tool that will end war soon so cats and Belisarius don't take over. i think he felt he had to sacrifice his people to get the behemoth online.

as for the biggest asshole, i think Jazz. Thrakhath, though i hate him, was the enemy doing what the enemy does, though i'll be the first to admit that he took way to much pleasure in doing that. Jazz was a fucking traitor and i hate traitors even more than i hate things like thrakhath.

We already have a thread for who you hate the most, and I've made my personal opinions clear there. Synopsis: Thrakath-just an enemy doing what enemies do (he does take great satisfaction from it, but he is from a race of warriors). Tolwyn-Misguided hero of the Confederation (too much war and too many deaths for one man to take). Jazz- best villian in WC universe (the only one I truely hated - maybe because of his banter on the Concordia - kindof weak on the motive dept though).

Back to Paulson, just becasue he didn't have combat experience doesn't mean he never captained a smaller vessel. There were 2 years between the Kilrathi War and WC4, he could have commanded a smaller cap ship during that time to try and move up the ranks. Doesn't make it right, though. Wartime kindof weeded out the bad commanders before they got very far. Peacetime military politics suck, in any time.

c-ya

Originally posted by Viper61
We already have a thread for who you hate the most

HAD. It's closed. Actually, both are closed. I started THIS one because the other two got closed.:)

I smell demotion... but I could be wrong.

Either way, may this post be the last post in this topic.

i'm re-reading TPOF and i saw this about Paulson.

he has no line experience.
last time in action was as a junior lieutenant
career in BuWeaps as a program manager (where he got his promotions and commendations)
stayed out of war because of family connections
did R&D work after the war

Originally posted by Ripper
As in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas?

It's a military prison where prisoners are put to forced labour, breaking big rocks into little ones. Much like the Kilrathi Illudium slave mines. I mention it because, I could be wrong, but some opinions are that one or two people may be trying for promotion or swabbie.

I know all about Leavenworth, although not first hand. I just wanted to know if you were talking about the same place.

One or two people might be trying to get a demotion or swabbie (banned) was what I meant. Yeah, that Levenworth. Where, say, some Captain found guilty of a serious offence might go.

Well, I was actually referring to, well never mind what I was referring to. It was meant to be a reply to how Meson thought disciplinary action might be taken.

I had this great reply to post, and the stupid computer ate it.:mad:

It took a while to do, so I'll do it again later.:rolleyes:

Back