Capship weapons

Thymerlord

Rear Admiral
We know from various sources what weapons the various carriers had but what would some others have. uch as the battleships in Action Stations, would it be regular AMG's or what?

Thanks LOAF that's what I was wondering. Would they have AMG's as a secondary battery maybe for small ships or fighters? I'm wondering about this in a Battleship context.

amgs were the secondary weapons of the confederation dreadnought, i believe those would probably be the ones of the battlewagons

AMG's are a newer thing -- they skip shields and stuff... back in Action Stations the best thing anyone hoped to do was overload shields with really really powerful blasts <G>

Because capship shields are weak and it probably wasn't worth the coding effort.

TC

Speaking of capital ship weapons, what kind of weapons do you guys think capships carry in addition to their gun turrets? In the novels, capships seem to make pretty extensive use of torpedoes, and some use seeker or other anti-fighter missiles as well. What kind of solid weapon armament could the various frigates, destroyers and cruisers reasonable have? I'm especially interested in with regard to WC3/4 craft and WC:p/SO ships.

My thoughts are these:

Frigates: 2 to 4 torpedo tubes (traditionally frigates have light anti-casphip weapons) and maybe some anti-fighter missile launchers.

Destroyers: 8 to 10 torpedo tubes (Commodore Pontowski's spread at the the Hakaga in FA), maybe 1-2 CSM launchers (though most likely not
on the same ship.) Possibly some anti-fighter missile launchers.

Cruisers: ??? Torpedo launchers *and* CSM launchers (older ships). Maybe just torpedo launchers on the newer ships.

Best, Raptor

True, but we also frigates using torpedo spreads in the WC4 novel. I guess individual frigates would be fittted with either a few torpedo tubes or a CSM launcher. Packing both would be unlikely for a frigate, IMO.

Best, Raptor

I would think it possible -- since frigates are larger than cruisers and destroyers and mount less energy weapons...

Hmmm, okay. So what what would you say the approximate numbers of torpedo tubes/CSM launchers are for frigates, destroyers and cruisers, LOAF? I'm planning a couple of capship battles for HTL, and I need all the info I can get.

Best, Raptor

I haven't read any of the HTL yet so I don't know where in the line of events it takes place but I do have a few numbers here for you. WC3/4 destroyers had one CSM launcher but no torpedo tubes. The crusiers had no CSM's or torps. The frigates had one CSM launcher and no torp tubes. Even the Vesuvius had a CSM launcher but the Victory and Lexington had nothing. As for WCP/SO ships, Murphy class destroyers had one twin tube torpedo lancher and 2 box type, eight tube auto-loading IR launchers. Plunkett class cruiser have a CSM launcher and a torpedo launcher. The Hades class strike crusier had six torp tubes and 2 twin tube auto-loading IR racks. The Midway had a CSM launcher as well as 6 twin tube auto-loading IR launchers. Not everything here is canon as I have found different armarments looking through the various sites, but I hope this helps.

That's the trouble, you see. There's nothing definite, especially with regard to WC3/WC4 ships. The Vicory Streak only lists their laser turrets (making no mention of the AMGs and CSMs that we see them use in game) making it a little difficult to assume these ships have no torpedo/CSM weapons. At the moment, we're left with the info from various sites, and that relies to great deal on the indvidual webmaster's views of their armament.

Best, Raptor

In conventional naval sense frigates were upgraded corvettes and their mission was to patrol around convoys for submarines. They were never intented to hot battle aganst surface fleet and destroyers were ment to cannonfodder in naval war. I assume that torpedos could be fitted to smaller ships. Even Claw had lots of them in movie.

In FA they menton that kilrathi ships had MIRV anti-torpedo missiles at end of war.

I would avoid trying to dole out CSM's wherever possible... CSMs *suck*. :) They're a popular fanboy thing because people go "WOW! 60,000 DAMAGE POINTS! IT MUST BE THE BEST THING EVER!" and ignore that they're easily shot down and only used by older ships. :)

Everybody should get torpedoes... I would give the destroyer 12 (Fleet Action) and the cruiser 8 (the cruiser has a large circle with eight little circles around directly in front). I would give the frigate 24, since there's clearly 24 tubes of something in two sets of 12 on each side (in those pods).

Give the frigates 3 CSM racks.

I would use the weapons listed in VS as their turrets and the guns you see in-game as their batteries. Hence the frigate would have four dual laser batteries and three laser turrets (and two dual FF tubes)... and so on in that manner.

What would be the differance between a turret and a battery? Very limited field of fire for a battery while a turret has a wide fire arc? Or would batteries be fixed guns with no rotation at all?

Best, Raptor

Batteries would be the high-calibur anti-capship guns... the *big* turrets like on a battleship. They're a lot more powerful than we see in the game...

Turrets would be the flak -- the anti-fighter weapons. Cap-ship mounted versions of the guns that fighters themselves use.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I would avoid trying to dole out CSM's wherever possible... CSMs *suck*. :) They're a popular fanboy thing because people go "WOW! 60,000 DAMAGE POINTS! IT MUST BE THE BEST THING EVER!" and ignore that they're easily shot down and only used by older ships. :)

While I don't disagree with the basic idea that Cap Missiles are obsolete, it is interesting to note that the Nephilim apparently still use them. They're used against the Midway in Prophecy, and later on, at least once against a station in SOP. Of course, Casey is able to take them down singlehandedly, and they'd be even easier if your wingmen were smart enough to peel off after them.

Back