Capship polygon reduction

Smoothie

Spaceman
I want to convert some models to capships in SO, Is there a easy way of reducing model polygons? all my models are much higher than 1200, vision engines limit. ALOT higher....

In SO Capships consist of different separate object linked together which are not physically connected(i.e. the bridge, engines, etc are all separate, thus lowering the number of faces and allowing an overall much more detailed ship since every component can have up to 1200 polies).

Hmmm...I haven't looked much at editing capships (It's on my list of things to do) but if that's true would it be possible to create a capship with more components, IE: Flight Deck, Fuel Tanks, Engine 1-2-3, and have an even more detailed capital ship? Or is it only possible to add Bridge Engines and Turrets?

I would imagine that to be very possible - the Midway had seperate hangers, launchers, and later, the plasma weapon, targetable in WCP. And multiple engines doesn't seem to be a problem for WCP, SO, or UE for any of their capships.

You can have a lot of components. If there is an upper limit to how many you can have, it is set more by common sense than by game mechanics - that is to say, some components must be destroyed before the capship dies, so if you have too many, it'll take a hell of a lot of torps...

Anyway, from memory, these are the components you can have (and yes, you can have multiple components of the same type).

Bridge - requires torps to kill. If there is a bridge, it has to be destroyed to kill the ship.
Engine - requires torps to kill. If there is an engine, it has to be destroyed to kill the ship.
Tower 1 - this component was used on the Nephilim gate in Kilrah. Can be killed with any weapon (but the AI pilots are too dumb to notice this, so they'll only use torps). If there is a tower, it has to be destroyed to kill the ship.
Tower 2 - just like tower 1, but with a different name.
Tower 3 - [...]
Tower 4 - [...]
Tower 5 - [...]
Tower 6 - [...]
Tower 7 - [...]
Antenna - requires torps to kill. If still alive when the ship is destroyed, will blow up automatically.
Cargo - requires torps to kill. If still alive when the ship is destroyed, will blow up automatically.
Hangar - requires torps to kill. If still alive when the ship is destroyed, will blow up automatically. If destroyed in the player's base ship, will trigger the "You are unable to land" message.
Launcher - requires torps to kill. If still alive when the ship is destroyed, will blow up automatically. When the capship launches fighters, they come out of a launcher. If no launchers are available, nothing is launched. Presumably, it is the destruction of all Midway launcher components that causes that old WCP-crashes-on-mission-start bug.

Note that individual components cannot be renamed (so, if you have two bridge components, they'll both be called 'bridge'), but component types can be renamed (so, the above-mentioned two bridge components can also both be called 'lollipop', if you so desire). This makes the seven tower components quite useful, if you want to have lots of different component types. Never forget, however, that every single component will require at least one torpedo to be destroyed.

Adding some on this thread, largely explained by Quarto, we can not forget other ship component named PART. I don't know if all other components can rotate automatically, on a component named PART we can establish a continue rotation on X, Y and Z axis (or none), being this useful to simulate radar components or anything requesting a constant rotation.

Hrm... don't you need to do some screwing around to get things to rotate around the rolling axis? I seem to recall trouble with making the B5 ship components rotate properly years ago.

I have tested the rotatation of a PART component on "one " axis without problems..., now I have not tested a combined axis rotation angle.

From HCl's website:
Z-Axis rotation patch - This patch was made specifically for Killerwave, for use in the Omega Dreadnought in his B5 Commander project. Normally, WCSO allows rotation of ship components around the the X or Y axis, but not on the Z axis. Although by using a rotation matrix to rotate the coordinate system it's possible to overcome this, the rotation matrix is re-initialized every time the player autopilots, messing up the rotation on the second nav point. This small patch avoids this problem, by preventing this re-initialization to occur. Project status: Completed! Currently being used by the B5 Commander project.

So, it seems that there was indeed some trouble with the z-axis rotation, but it can be solved with a patch.

whats happening with B5 Commander, i know you can download the ships butwasnt suppose to be a "mod" with missions etc,

Back