Capital ship engagements

Mordecai said:
IIRC there are NO capship battles in WC1.

It's been awhile since I played the originial WC1, but I know in KS many capships (including the Snakeir so-called "attack carrier") just sits there w/o firing a single flak shot, waiting to be plucked outta space. The Ralari and Fralthi do fire salvos, but I think they're the only ones.
the unarmed snakeir is a bug exclusive to the kilrathi saga, it was supposed to be a real badass

Mordecai said:
If I had to go against the Ves w/o the Pak I'd take Mace missiles instead of torps; they're not as fun to use as in SO2 nor as powerful but they still dish out some good damage.
Are there "Mace missiles" in WCIV? What are they?

Mace missile were the nuclear equivalent in Wing Command 2 Secret Missions and nope they were not used in WV4. If there were I dont remember playing any mission with them.

The Mace ("Tactical Nuclear Missile") is available in Wing Commander IV. If you choose to play Speradon C ('Capture the Carrier'), it's added to your weapons options. Maces are loaded in torpedo hardpoints.

The fact that the mace made an appearance in WC4 was cool, but it was nowhere near as good as it was in SO2. I still preferred the starburst, which was quite effective when fired into the deck of a capship and the coneburst, which could damage or even destroy more than one fighter from an oncoming wing. This isn't as certain to work as the single missile death of the imrec, but just for a change it was still fun to use this shotgun-like missile.

IIRC the Mace did more damage than the Starburst. The only problem was the safety range was longer, so if you were trying to hit a closer target you'd overshoot it completely.

Bandit LOAF said:
The Mace ("Tactical Nuclear Missile") is available in Wing Commander IV. If you choose to play Speradon C ('Capture the Carrier'), it's added to your weapons options. Maces are loaded in torpedo hardpoints.

Time to play WCIV again. :D Never realized that.

Theoretically, WC1 capships had plenty of firepower, but that simply wasn't simulated ingame. They are "there", we just don't see them being used. WC2 had some stuff lige the AMGs and the cutscene-only(IIRC) PTC.

WC3 had cartloads of turrets, and 3 kinds of them! laser, white (i think the whites were tachyons) and yellow (i think these were AMGs). The Corvette was a tough customer, for it had a tachyon turret on the top-aft, and a good cover of 4 lasers, and it was too small to waste a torpedo, so we had to strafe the turrets and all. Also, it didn't have the glaring blindspots the bigger ones had...

WCP had the most variety... HARM loadouts, lotsa turrets you HAD to kill if you wanted your torpedoes to hit (especially those damn transports) and ship components...

But we never got to see some wicked capship-capship combat.

BTW, the WC2 Kamekh *didn't* have phase shielding...

Edfilho said:
Theoretically, WC1 capships had plenty of firepower, but that simply wasn't simulated ingame. They are "there", we just don't see them being used. WC2 had some stuff lige the AMGs and the cutscene-only(IIRC) PTC.

The PTC is used a couple times in the actual game, the main instance I remember was right after Sparks gets killed by the wing of Sartha -- a few seconds later you hear the peculiar sound and then the Concordia "We've destroyed a capital ship!" ::Fralthra:: NO!!!!!

Edfilho said:
BTW, the WC2 Kamekh *didn't* have phase shielding...

According to Joan's, and the CIC Ship's Database, it did.

The PTC is used a couple times in the actual game, the main instance I remember was right after Sparks gets killed by the wing of Sartha

I think you mean "Shadow" and not Sparks. Sparks is onboard the Concordia as Engineer.

Back