Can't get joystick to work properly in WC Armada

B

Bob

Hi all, I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and am trying to use it with WC Armada. My current settings are

joysticktype=4axis
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

I've played with all the settings a lot, if I set timed to false, I am unable to calibrate the joystick in game. Yes I applied the joystick calibration patch from this web site.

Currently, the joystick *sorta* works. If I move the joystick in any direction, there tends to be a 1-5 seconds delay. When I stop moving the joystick in that direction, there's another 3-10 second delay before my ship stops moving.

I don't see this delay in windows, I don't see this delay when moving the cursor in WC with the joystick. The joystick appears to calibrate just fine in WC, and yes the joystick is calibrated in Windows.

I'm running Windows Vista Prof x64. I've tried Windows built in driver as well as the latest driver from logitech's website. I can't think of anything else to try.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Or could someone suggest a joystick that works better with dosbox/wing commander armada?

Have you tried any of the patches for armada? If so, which file are you using to start the game?

Here's some basic settings for dosbox for armada (also you should be using dosbox 0.72):

In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=10000, joysticktype=fcs (this actually enables Thrustmaster emulation in DOSbox), timed=false, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.

For more info about installing Armada and to play online see this update: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/9196

If your joystick continues to not calibrate download download the Armada Joystick/IPX Patch patch and unzip it to your Armada directory. Start the game by typing armadadb and attempt to recalibrate your joystick. PATCH: http://download.wcnews.com/files/arma/armadaonline.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I'm not sure which of those changes fixed it, but its fixed.

i play Wing commander armada on dosbox 73 with a joypad (got the ps2 desing)

You ask how i configurate the pad? got the same problem so i press alt-o (the configuration menu) and configurated it 30-50 times.

and at last it works.(by the way,back inthe old dos days i done it the same way)

ps: sorry about my english (i am from switzerland (yes the anti-minarett-land : ) )

pps: if someone knows how to calibrate the joystick on Strike Commander please help.(its the same problem like Privateer and it asks about a second joystick to configurate,i play both games still on dosbox 65)

I would try playing Strike Commander on a newer version of dosbox. General compatibility has been much improved over the last few versions.

You might try adjusting the joystick options in dosbox.conf. If you have it set for 2axis, try 4axis as 2axis is what supports two joysticks. There are many more joystick configuration options in the .72/.73 builds. I would suggest trying to manually set 4axis and see if trimed=true/flase makes any diference.

Hi, maybe you can help me with this issue:

I just bought a replacement for my joystick, the old Gravis Pro died. I think it was a cable problem as it wasn't recognized by Windows 98 nor any DOS game, even replugging it didn't work as sometimes gameports don't stick tightly.

Got myself a replacement (same model by the way, gameport, no USB) and now I found that the replacement works fine, status is OK in Windows, calibration and buttons work. Under DOS I can play for a long time and nothing happens (testing in the maze of X-Wing). Wing Commander on pure DOS works also fine on my old DOS machine.

But when I start Kilrathi Saga under Windows 98 I can just click 'Start Campaign' press buttons while entering the Name and Callsign and then the joystick just dies. First thing I thought was 'damn I bought a defective joystick', but when I go back to Windows and immediately check gaming devices I still find my joystick as 'OK' and everything works fine, all buttons, just perfect. So the issue cannot be caused by cable error or alike since then the joystick would not be working in Windows after I quit WCKS.
I start WCKS again, same problem occurs, I quit, under Windows, other games, all is fine.

All other tests (calibration or other games played) are ok. Is this another Kilrathi Saga bug which I didn't come across yet? I don't think the cable is broken again as I can shake and move it on other games and still have full control.

Any help appreciated. Maybe some of you came across the same problem. Posting it here as I don't want to open a new topic.

WC4Life

I Might be the shortsighted one here, but have any of you guys tested other games under your configuration and found it did work there?

Hi, maybe you can help me with this issue:

I just bought a replacement for my joystick, the old Gravis Pro died. I think it was a cable problem as it wasn't recognized by Windows 98 nor any DOS game, even replugging it didn't work as sometimes gameports don't stick tightly.

Got myself a replacement (same model by the way, gameport, no USB) and now I found that the replacement works fine, status is OK in Windows, calibration and buttons work. Under DOS I can play for a long time and nothing happens (testing in the maze of X-Wing). Wing Commander on pure DOS works also fine on my old DOS machine.

But when I start Kilrathi Saga under Windows 98 I can just click 'Start Campaign' press buttons while entering the Name and Callsign and then the joystick just dies. First thing I thought was 'damn I bought a defective joystick', but when I go back to Windows and immediately check gaming devices I still find my joystick as 'OK' and everything works fine, all buttons, just perfect. So the issue cannot be caused by cable error or alike since then the joystick would not be working in Windows after I quit WCKS.
I start WCKS again, same problem occurs, I quit, under Windows, other games, all is fine.

All other tests (calibration or other games played) are ok. Is this another Kilrathi Saga bug which I didn't come across yet? I don't think the cable is broken again as I can shake and move it on other games and still have full control.

Any help appreciated. Maybe some of you came across the same problem. Posting it here as I don't want to open a new topic.

WC4Life

You will need to reconfiure/recalibate the stick once you start a windows game, and Dosbox can behave weird...

You will need to reconfiure/recalibate the stick once you start a windows game, and Dosbox can behave weird...

I would suggest this. To be clear, alt+tab out, recalibrate and go back to KS.

Back