Canada

Rheostatic

Spaceman
So the movie was filmed in Canada, but it's not being released in Canadian theatres? Is there ANY information that says otherwise?

A real shame, especially for people like me who happened to be extras in the film.

It really is a shame... I haven't heard any movement from Alliance Films to indicate they have any plans in that regard. So it's a wait and see kind of thing at the moment.

I would have thought they at least would play it in Halifax...

Im totally astounded that this film still hasnt been released to Canada, nor has there been any mention of it!!! And it was filmed by a Canadian writer/director in Canada!!! Seriously, what has happened to this film?!

Im totally astounded that this film still hasnt been released to Canada, nor has there been any mention of it!!! And it was filmed by a Canadian writer/director in Canada!!! Seriously, what has happened to this film?!

I don't think that Howard or Dirk are Canadian but a lot of the rest of the crew are including the production designer and DP.

I don't think that Howard or Dirk are Canadian but a lot of the rest of the crew are including the production designer and DP.

http://www.visualhollywood.com/movies_2009/underworld_rise/crew.php

Youre right AD, in the link above I guess its true that Howard and Dick arent Canadian as I was mistaken, but as you said, so many of the extras and the ones you mentioned are...Im just amazed that there has been no word on release.

Ive given up looking for theatrical dates now in Ontario and will likely just pick up the dvd when its released...very sad!

maughanl

Yes a huge dissappointment to us all that it hasn't or won't make it to Canadian theatres! With just over a month until a Canadian DVD release it's unlikely to happen. Too bad, would have been really cool to see my son (Bailey Maughan who plays Eric opposite Jim Caviezel in a few scenes) up on the big screen. Ahh but alas We're Canadian...apparently not the "right market"???? Dumb and insulting!!! What a shame could have filled a few theatres alone in N.S. and Newfoundland...there loss for sure!!!

Yes a huge dissappointment to us all that it hasn't or won't make it to Canadian theatres! With just over a month until a Canadian DVD release it's unlikely to happen. Too bad, would have been really cool to see my son (Bailey Maughan who plays Eric opposite Jim Caviezel in a few scenes) up on the big screen. Ahh but alas We're Canadian...apparently not the "right market"???? Dumb and insulting!!! What a shame could have filled a few theatres alone in N.S. and Newfoundland...there loss for sure!!!

I know I echo the sentiments... Ultimately I think we've all ended up victimized (if you can use that term) by the Weinsteins. Their ineptitude essentially scutttled the chances that we'll see a theatrical release here. Someone might be able to arrange a special screening out in Halifax though... Not sure what it would take, but I can put in a word with the Director.

I can't say for sure, but I think the lack of a US promotion essentially is what killed the Canadian release. And with the US DVD coming out on the 19th it makes no sense whatsoever to delay A Canadian DVD since they are the same region coding.

So I sent Howard a message, and the good news is that it sounds like we could probably arrange a screening in Halifax relatively easily... the bad news is that it won't be cheap. Now if everyone pitches in, that does reduce the cost. Or like Howard suggests you might be able to get the local film commision involved.

I think it's worth looking into and spreading word around to build interest. I wouldn't skimp on the theater though as you would want to make sure it has good projection and sound.

Howard McCain said:
1) Have to rent out local theater. Cost between 1000 to 3000 bucks depending on the theater and the day.

2) Chris Roberts has his own personal print – no need to involve Alliance and they wouldn’t help you anyway.

3) It would involve paying myself or Chris to fly with the print up there to screen it. Cost 1000 bucks total. (2 nights in a hotel and air fare)

So… I could imagine the cheapest way to do this would be around 2000 bucks. Someone would have to organize this and I don’t know who has the money – maybe the local film commission would want to. Still it could be fun and the locals deserve to see it this way.

Back