Can I run Privateer without speech?

Tetris Ling

Spaceman
I just spent three hours messing with DOS, and finnaly got Privateer to run. One unusual side effect was that all of the characters started speaking to me, instead of providing me with the friendly subtitles I was used to. The last computer I played Privateer on didn't play speech, but, mysteriously, this one does.

And it's kind of grating.

I'd much rather play with subtitles, but the Options menu was mysteriously devoid of a seperate speech toggle option. I scoured the internet and the documentation for some sort of command line option, but came up dry. Does anyone know of any command lines that disable speech without disabling all of the sound?

-Tetris Ling

Did you try to run the install program and select as soundcard for speech none?

You can always find a disk vesion and a speech pack ...
so you will have most of speech during a flight (radio), but characters will use subtitles (and you will have all sound effects)

this is a sane choice IMHO

The "Sound Effects" button in the options menu toggles both sound effects and speech.

I understand where you're coming from, but I find subtitles for in-flight communication to be really annoying because each line is displayed on screen for a ridiculously long period. I suppose the designers wanted to make sure the player had a chance to read everything.

VERY SLOW PLAYERS, you mean :)
Yeah, some of the lines are pretty irritating, But I kinda like the speech. I have to try DOSBox again, now that I have a Barton 2800+ running on an ABIT NF7... :) Funny thing, I need a really fast computer to run a game that was meant to be played on a 486-66 without a hitch.

BTW, probably picking NO SOUND on the install COULD help. Gun shot sounds are pretty useful.

I don't recall if it is working for P1 as well, but in WC1 you could toggle message speed by pressing 'm'.

Quite similar to my machine, Edfilho. :)

That works for WC1/2, cff, but I'm quite sure that doesn't apply to Privateer.

The same trouble

Gemtlemen! I have the same problem...
I'm not a native English-speaker, so it's difficult for me to play without subtitles...
I have a CD-version for DOS, with speech already integrated. So, I have either speech without subtitles, or subtitles without sound: selecting speech card for NONE, as cff adviced, will switch off sounds as well...
Can you help me please?

The option doesn't exist. Privateer CD was one of the first games with full speech ever made, and so it doesn't have all the convenient options we expect today. It's probably a trivial matter to flip some switch in the game's coding to enable this, but someone who's an expert in editing games would have to dig into it.

Privateer 2 actually doesn't have subtitle options at all.

I had to play Priv2 a lot to fully understand all of the dialogues... Which isn´t a bad thing :p

It will be a lot of effort but is it possible to re-pack the TRE file without the speech data? Or acquire a floppy disk version of the game...

Back