can i do this

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
ok, i will be dating myself but here i go. i have am 8mm film that i sent out to convert to dvd. i will be getting the original film back as well as the new dvd when its done. my question is..this 8mm movie came with a cassette tape for sound meaning at a certain point in the "leader" i have to start the tape and it will play pretty close to the film. Now, is there a way to convert cassette tapes or record cassette to my pc to add to the dvd when i get it back,
i have this program called Movavi that looks like it can do it.

If you have a way to rip the cassette to a digital audio file (like MP3, WMA, etc.) and a way to convert the DVD video over there are a lot of video programs that will allow you to combine the two and get them synched up, but you wind up with a new video file that then needs to be burned to a disk if you want to use it outside your computer.

What Shaggy said. You'd need to create a new movie file in order to add in the audio.

You can record audio and then convert it to an MP3 using a freeware WAV to MP3 converter. I've recorded cassette tapes in the past using a male-to-male 1/8" audio jack and an old stereo's headphone jack. Probably can find one at RadioShack.

Yes there is a way. The dirty solution would be to plug the output into your PCs line-in and using any standard recording software. More elaborate and expensive (and not necessarily better) would be some kind of specialized USB device that is basically a tape player that would come with software to do all the thinking for you.

Great,
i was thinking of using my old video card that has plugs just to get the cassette onto the pc, then i could use that converter to mp3. i will let you know, thanks for the input.

Great,
i was thinking of using my old video card that has plugs just to get the cassette onto the pc, then i could use that converter to mp3. i will let you know, thanks for the input.

The inputs on your video card may or may not be for sound though. There's more likely one on your soundcard that would be a better solution.

right! ok, now i just have to locate a cable that can go from the cassette player to the sound card, someone mentioned one from radio shack..

Yes a RCA to 3.5mm mini jack cable or 3.5mm to 3.5mm (Depending on what your tape desk uses.) should be all you need and a you can pick that up in most any audio store. I did it once and it came out fine.

If you have Vista it has a Movie Maker (it ok but hay it's free right.) which would allow you to add sound to your video.

Back