Calling All Pilots: Game 7 and 8 Announcements

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Greetings Everyone,

With capital ships now feature-complete, it is time to announce 2 new test games. Meanwhile, I believe Game 5 will continue pointing out some of the limitations of the large-format maps which I haven't worked around, and Game 6 will continue to be used by me alone for Cap ship testing.

Both games are going to follow a few basic rules, but they will be fundamentally different. Here are the commonalities and rough instructions for posting:
  1. You may apply to both games. When applying (via post below) please list your preference if you can only get into 1 game. The games will both be player-limited, and I will try to sort it out so that the most people can get into their 1st choice. If we are short on pilots, I will happily allow people into both games, on a first-applied, first-served basis.
  2. Since the game doesn't understand 'teams' yet, both games will be split Terran/Kilrathi. You will be playing on the race-appropriate team with other human pilot teammates.
  3. For simplicity, both games will have all pilots set at 'Normal' pilot skill, to eliminate this variable from the testing.

Game 7: Collisions and Line of Sight
This will be a 3 on 3 dogfight in an asteroid field. I will also be dropping in a transport or cap ship in the center. This will be on a very small map, so avoid boosting off the edge! (20x20 squares)

Your mission:
  1. Smash into asteroids at high speeds
  2. Confirm asteroids provide LOS block
  3. Confirm Capships provide LOS block
  4. Defeat opposing race
Rules/Instructions:
  1. Each player may choose one medium and one light fighter from their respective race.
  2. Please specify your race/team, and your 2 ships in your post below. If you are willing to fly either race, specify 4 ships (2 each side) but also list your preference, in case I can accommodate it.

Game 8: Carrier Battle
This will be a 4 on 4 battle. Each side is allowed 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, and 1 Cruiser (or Corvette). Additionally, each side may field up to 5 bombers, 5 heavy fighters, 5 medium fighters and 10 light fighters.

Your Mission:
  1. Find flaws in Capship movement and combat
  2. Fire capship weapons
  3. Test flak fields (fly into them if you have to)
  4. Find flaws with fighter/capship interactions (inappropriate weapon targeting, etc.)
  5. Destroy the enemy Carrier (worth 5 points, +3 points for destroying the Destroyer, +2 for the Cruiser)
Rules/Instructions:
  1. I will hand out the 6 cap ships on a first-come-first post basis.
  2. No one may pilot more than 1 cap ship
  3. Cap ships pilots may not also pilot bombers
  4. Each player may pilot 16 points worth of ships. For this purpose, all cap ships will count as 8 points. (I'm probably going to regret these numbers).
  5. Please list your preferred race and ship set. Unlike Game 7, you may not list for both sides, so pick carefully, on a first-come-first served basis.
  6. When listing your ships, please take into account what has already been posted for your side, such that you do not exceed the team limits. Incorrect posts will result in either me assigning arbitrary ships to you, or worse, forfeiture of play if we have too many applicants.
You may post for both games in the same post below, but please divide your post in half clearly, with either a title or some other divider.

In summary:
  1. Post Below to join
  2. List preferred game if applying to both
  3. Game 7: List preferred side, and ships
  4. Game 8: List side, ships, and be careful not to exceed already claimed team limits by other players
  5. Check back here frequently!

Barring further announcement below, everyone has 1 week to apply. Deadline closes Sunday, March 4th at the last midnight globally. Both games will start at some announced point after that, likely within the following week.

Good Luck Pilots!

I'm in. Preference will be for Game 7 but I'm willing to do both.

For Game 7: I'd be willing to fly either side, though my preference is most definitely for the Confed. That'll be a Rapier-II and an Epee for the Confees, and (since it's the only choice currently possible in the game given the restrictions) a Drakhri and a Sartha for the Cats.

Game 8: Call me again for the Confed. I'll take a Durango-class for the team's destroyer, a Sabre and an Epee. (Need a call here, Avacar...the Sabre is torpedo-equipped but not technically a bomber; can I take both it and the destroyer, or is that a violation?).

Good point on the Sabre.

My intention was to have non-torpedo ships, so although it isn't true, we'll be calling the Sabre a bomber, and not let you take it.

Also since the team breakdown is important, and since you've already claimed a capital ship, as far as I'm concerned you're in Game 8, and a backup for Game 7, irrespective of your preference to Game 7. Is that okay? I think it makes things easier for other prospective Game 8 people. (This will likely be true for anyone else volunteering for Game 8 and claiming a capital ship).

Good point on the Sabre. My intention was to have non-torpedo ships, so although it isn't true, we'll be calling the Sabre a bomber, and not let you take it.

Oh, be that way...... :)

Okay then. The Durango and 2 Rapier-IIs. That should give me the 16 point count.

Are we still doing the business of ship/pilot names? Just in case...
The Durango will be the TCS New Braunfels, under the command of Neander Brownrocks.
For the Rapiers.....eh, let's be somewhat obvious: Goose (Nick Bradshaw) and Merlin (Sam Wells). Can't really think of anything funny this evening...

Also since the team breakdown is important, and since you've already claimed a capital ship, as far as I'm concerned you're in Game 8, and a backup for Game 7, irrespective of your preference to Game 7. Is that okay? I think it makes things easier for other prospective Game 8 people. (This will likely be true for anyone else volunteering for Game 8 and claiming a capital ship).

I suppose that's alright. I got to thinking about how things might go on a 20x20 board full of rocks...

Oh, be that way...... :)

Are we still doing the business of ship/pilot names? Just in case.....

Good question. It isn't necessary since I'm defaulting everyone to no pilot skill, but I can set it up for those of you that want it.

I'd like to apply for Game 7.

Confed choice: Rapier II and Epee.
Kilrah choice: Drakhri and Sartha.

Either one will work for me. :)

Howdy!

I'd like to apply to Game 7

My preference is for Kilrathi (Drakhri and a Sartha) then Confed ( Rapier-II and an Epee)

Pilot names:
Kilrathi - Vonk'Tog & Nak'Mang
Confed - Azure & Chambers

Cheers

Well, it looks like interest was low on new games.... I'm actually a bit surprised that Game 7 garnered more interest, since honestly, I really need you guys to just fly around smashing into things and really acting like beta testers, whereas I personally thought Game 8 would be more fun for the players.

Here's the current plan:
  1. Game 8 is on hold for now, until either enough people volunteer to join, or until we finish Game 5, then I'll re-announce it.
  2. I'll start Game 7 this week with the current players. I don't think I'll get to it today, but hopefully by mid-week. When it is ready, it'll start. If anyone happens to post to join between now and whenever it begins, I'll include them too. Otherwise once I've posted its start thread, it will be closed.

If you catch this before Game 7 goes up, could you drop me in? No side preference. Unless the shipset is expanded from the WCTO manual, Rapier+Epee or Drakhri+Sartha.

Also interested in Game 8. Would be happy to take a Ralatha + 4 Sartha to balance against the Durango and friends.

Back