BWS Intrepid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I finished WC4 today, and started to wonder.

What did the Intrepid look like before the upper decks were blown off? I doubt there's a picture anywhere... but maybe someone out there knows.

I believe that the Intrepid had the little tower adjacent to the ship's fighter bay like the Victory. When the bridge got torpedoed and all the lower decks were blown out, I think that the tower peice was just blown clear off.

I don't think there is a picture of what the Intrepid looked like before the loss of it's bridge. :(

You have to remember two things about the Intrepid;

1) it was two Durango-class Destroyers with a flight deck strapped between them.

2) Maniac looks up and sees holes in the hull. This means that the births and the bridge were above the flight deck, not below it.

Good point Grey, but I think that the "hole in the ceiling" was more about the ship coming apart than the bridge literally being above the flight deck (or the kitchen as the case might be).

Good point about the whole destroyers thing though. ;)

[Edited by LeHah on 07-12-2001 at 20:37]

hm... so what did the upper decks look like interior-wise and on the outside? it also makes me wonder if they just made the Intrepid model how it was and then just said the decks were blown off, or had upper decks planned, but didn't model them.

I think they just got lazy and didn't model the bridge and all that.

heh... I'd imagine that's the case. I suppose the loss of the bridge, etc. makes it more dramatic and conveys the emergency of the Intrepid more... and it's cool how they had a backup bridge on the level right above the Flight Deck.

Most carriers have a backup bridge in case the main one gets spaced. This is mentioned in End Run when they're rather annoyed with the Tarawa's lack of one.

TC

I think I've seen a pic of the Intrepid's bridge in concept art...as I understand, it's basically a kleenex-box shaped protruision on top of the flight deck. I neved did understand the whole thing about the hangar, though...

If the Intrepid was made from two destroyers .... What happened to the destroyers' original bridges? I figure it would save that much more work for the builders to just use one of those for the bridge .... ;)

-pen

The Intrepid is *not* two destroyers -- that's a darned crazy old rumor. It's a *single* Durango class destroyer, the TCS Delphi.

Originally posted by LeHah
I believe that the Intrepid had the little tower adjacent to the ship's fighter bay like the Victory. When the bridge got torpedoed and all the lower decks were blown out, I think that the tower peice was just blown clear off.

I don't think there is a picture of what the Intrepid looked like before the loss of it's bridge.
From the outside, the Intrepid looked pretty much the same when it had the bridge, except that parts of the hull weren't charred :). If you want a picture, go to Speradon - the BWS Tango is the same class as the Intrepid, and is undamaged.

Thats what I thoughht LOAF! I did read the WC4 novel and it didn't say anything about Destroyers but I didn't feel like arguing for once in my life.

This is a strange twist of fate but the name of the class of ship the Intrepid is (Durango) is also the type of car Malcolm McDowell steals in A Clockwork Orange! (Durango '95)

What's so strange about that? Durango, Intrepid, Avenger (Banshee?) are all cars made by Dodge.

OSI probably just copied the names.

Originally posted by Earthworm
What's so strange about that? Durango, Intrepid, Avenger (Banshee?) are all cars made by Dodge.

OSI probably just copied the names.

no, dodge stole the names from osi :p i don't care that they had them first ;)

Yeah. In the WC4N, they have to fight a cap ship or something, and Blair is worried, but someone says something about the Intrepid keeping her torpedoes from when she was a destroyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back