Buying the galaxy...

Grimloc

Rear Admiral
How much money is recommended for buying a new ship in Privateer? If this is of any importance I have maxed out my Tarsus' loadout. Last time I upgraded I had 2 credits after the purchase of a Galaxy. One shot got me!! D8

------------------
Heck, when you think of a better signature, tell me.

Me, once I've maxed-out the Tarsus the game starts with, I basically hang around Troy and the surrounding systems, trying to rack up multiple missions with similar ground to cover (like several patrols for the same system; it's like getting paid 3 times for the same patrol) until I reach like 250K creds. With that, you can buy a decently equiped Centurion with L3 engines, L2 shields, AB, good armor, ECM3, 2 missile launchers w/ ImRecs, 2 tachs, and 2 lasers (which, except for the damage caused, perform similarly... no need to worry about multiple ITTS crosshairs). Though not a maxed-out ship, it's good enough, IMO, to make earning the rest of the upgrade money much easier.

Oh, and if you're using cargo runs to build up your ship, before you accept Guild/computer cargo missions, top off your cargo hold with whatever the mission descriptions say to haul. Even with a full hold, you can load mission cargo without any complaints from the game. Generally the cargo missions are asking you to haul something that would give a good profit were you to haul it without a contract, meaning that contract cargo plus non-contract cargo picked up from the commodities exchange will rack up some serious cash. (Just don't dump your cargo for any reason after loading up like that, or else you won't be able to pick it all back up afterwards.)

Hope that helps...

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited January 07, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
I did similarly, with the exception that the first time playing the game I fitted my Centurion with plasma cannons on all hardpoints. Boy, was that a mistake...

Then after I finished the game, I loaded a new game, worked up to buy a Centurion and fitted it with Steltek cannons on all harpoints (yeah, thru the illegal way). After that most ships would go bang with just one salvo. Takes away most of the fun, but it's handy in a dogfight in an asteroid belt.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Klaus sez:
>Then after I finished the game, I loaded a new game, worked up to buy a
>Centurion and fitted it with Steltek cannons on all harpoints (yeah,
>thru the illegal way). After that most ships would go bang with just
>one salvo. Takes away most of the fun, but it's handy in a dogfight
>in an asteroid belt.

If you go with just 2 Steltek II cannons, you not only still kill the target fast, it doesn't suck as much energy, meaning those with less than perfect aim (not me... I use proton torps more than missiles
wink.gif
) can miss a few times without draining your capacitor dry.

Oh, and as for the all-plasma loadout... Oops.
smile.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death

I did the same thing Death except I got four Tachyons for my Centurion. And it's realy cool how you can choose 3 patrol missions that pay about 10 to 12 thousand credits and fly them all at once.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Earthworm sez:
>I did the same thing Death except I got four Tachyons for my Centurion. And it's realy cool how you can
>choose 3 patrol missions that pay about 10 to 12 thousand credits and fly them all at once.

Actually, that wasn't the loadout which I finished the game with. Just the loadout I could afford with that 250K or so (also including a repair droid, which I forgot to mention the first time). By the end of the game, I had all tachs (minus the Steltek mount, of course). The 2 lasers were just to help kill a little faster without draining power very much; nice refire rate, good range, and a bolt velocity that was close enough to the tachs' that there wouldn't be 2 different ITTS lead indicators, like you get with most combos mixing gun types (and bugs me a little).

On a sorta-related note, for fun, earlier this week, I was flying with 4 lasers on a Cent that was otherwise fully loaded... those 4 lasers kill faster than one would think, in most cases (though that Kamekh I ran into in one non-plot mission took a good deal of time to die; against kats in general 4 lasers is the slow way of doing things). Throws out a sh*tload of bolts, without draining your capacitor after 3-5 trigger pulls, like what happens using 4 tachs, L3 engine, and L2 shields.

------------------
SubCrid Death

I haven't played P1 for quite some time now. But as I read this post there comes a question popping into my mind that bothered me back then.
I finished the game by killing the Steltek drone but what about those artifacts you gathered? Did they have any meaning or were they just space junk?

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

If I'm not mistaken the artifacts contained the Steltek alphabet. When you join the two parts in the meeting with the scientist he sees the alphabet and transfers an eletronic copy to your ship's computer so you can somewhat understand Steltek talk.
And I think that the artifacts also contained some sort of map showing that the Steltek had removed themselves towards the center of the galaxy.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 08, 2000).]

Yeah, it was a Steltek map thing. You have to take it to Oxford and have it examined.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Back