Building a Better Moustrap

Originally posted by Johnl12
It looks like the one sided version. Will it play correctly? Considering Happy's problem with his one-sided version and what TC said about it. I would be a little weary to buy it.:confused:

Oh, sorry, meant that for you -- you can get the one sided version at softwareoutlet.com.

Okay, firstoff, please don't laugh at me for not understanding how Windows works <G>

Running a Voodoo 5 and a Voodoo 1 together makes less and less sense... the drivers would conflict and destroy the universe, right?

Is there some way to have maybe different partitions of windows? One in which I don't install the Voodoo 1 and one where I do? Or would that also cause horrible conflicts?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Okay, firstoff, please don't laugh at me for not understanding how Windows works <G>
Running a Voodoo 5 and a Voodoo 1 together makes less and less sense... the drivers would conflict and destroy the universe, right?
You wouldn't have both of these card on one system. It makes no sense. Voodoo 1 and 2 cards are 3d cards only. You need a 2d card with them. Voodoo 3/4/5 are 2d/3d cards they provide the glide FX and 2d.

Now you can have two Voodoo 2 cards connected together via their SLI ports and one primary card like a TNT 2 2d/3d card. This would give you both glide and OpenGL. Voodoo 2 cards need to be from the same manufacture to be able to work together.

Is there some way to have maybe different partitions of windows?
Yes, you can. I use Partition Magic to do that. A HDD can only have 4 partitions on it. Fdisk can only make only primary partition (c: drive) the rest would be logical partitions (d:, e:, f:). Using a program like Partition Magic you can have 4 primary partitions. It uses a boot program which lets you choose which partition to be active while hide the other primary partitions from each other. Basicly this means whichever OS you're in, the OS believes it's on the c: drive. There's one catch, for the boot program to work from the HDD it needs to be install on a FAT partition. It can't run from NTFS. It needs to run from DOS.
One in which I don't install the Voodoo 1 and one where I do? Or would that also cause horrible conflicts?
Yes and no. Win3.1 is not PNP. It wouldn't know what's going on unless you tell it. Win9x/NT/XP will know but what you would do is disable it in Device Manager. Your OS know it's there but it's not in use. It takes up no resouces.

I need the original Voodoo to stay in there because the Prophecy 3Dfx demo requires the original Voodoo card to play -- won't work with a 2/3/4/5.

I did some searching, though, and found that you can actually run a Voodoo 1 and a 3/4/5 together -- their drivers can co-exist peacefully...

Originally posted by Starkey
My mother board is not an "all-in-one", I thought I made it clear that I have separate Video, Sound and Modem boards, when I said that my SiS 6326 is NOT on-(mother)board.
I comment on quotes after, not before the quote. I was referring to this quote here:
Yes, the ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER card will give you TV-IN/OUT. I would go with your Canopus Pure3D and ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER with a Drx3 card. Go to www.ati.com to learn more about ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER card.

Sorry guys, carry on.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I need the original Voodoo to stay in there because the Prophecy 3Dfx demo requires the original Voodoo card to play -- won't work with a 2/3/4/5.

I did some searching, though, and found that you can actually run a Voodoo 1 and a 3/4/5 together -- their drivers can co-exist peacefully...

get a voodoo rush, i believe the WCP demo runs perfect on it. i'll check and let u know. i rush board is a 2d/3d card as well.
they r on ebay everyonce in awhile. i got one not too long ago.
i got one for like $20.

i like the intergraph intense 3d rush myself. i've had 2 of them.
they r good solid cards.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I read that all-in-one cards are really dodgy... although, since this machine will be purely dedicated to WC, I guess it should be okay.
Wedge, I just re-read this post. I've never use a ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER card before, but it's been my experence if you use a really poweriful Graphic card with a not so poweriful monitor you will get a performance hit. If your monitor can't handle your graphic card's refresh rate you will see it. I got a Viewsonic PF790 to go with my Hercules Geforce MX card so I can get 120 hertz at 1024X768. My old IBM 17v monitor would only run at 65 hertz. Try playing Homeworld at 65 hertz. Talk about doggish when you get to the final battle you can't handle the demands of this game at 65 hertz.

ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER is natorious for having weak 3D. but the rest being realitively strong. the latest redeon base ALL-IN is a really good card. but the pro 128's based ALL-IN's were just too weak on the 3d to b recommended.

Originally posted by Happy
ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER is natorious for having weak 3D. but the rest being realitively strong. the latest redeon base ALL-IN is a really good card. but the pro 128's based ALL-IN's were just too weak on the 3d to b recommended.
I'll take your word on it. I could never justify spending over $200.00 for a graphic card.

i was able to run the WCP demo on an intergraph intense 3d rush. u have to use the drivers available at intergraph's site, http://www.intergraph.com/ITservices/voodoo/.
the demo ran fine, the the 3dfxtest did fail, i can't fgiure it out, but found it to be odd.

ps. this card also has imbedded vesa drivers. and runs WC3 great, admittedly never played the first 2 WC games on this card, but privateer ran just fine, and i would guess privateer2 as well.

I'll take your word on it. I could never justify spending over $200.00 for a graphic card.

my friend has a gf4 4400, and it is worth every damn penny.:cool:
all 20,000 of 'em

You know, it is possible to have multiple quotes in one post. That's what the Quote button in the Reply to Topic window is for. Just scroll down, copy the quote you want, paste it into your reply, and you'll only have to post once.

i know, i didn't make the replys at the same time
i went to the general chat, and then came back.
i also forgot i could have edited the posts.

Originally posted by Happy
my friend has a gf4 4400, and it is worth every damn penny.:cool:
all 20,000 of 'em
A geforce 3 or above would require me to upgrade my CPU and maybe get a new monitor to handle all that power. I am wanting for the AMD new Hammer CPU for my next PC build. :cool:

Back