Bringing Back the Battle Book (December 26, 2009)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Playstation version of Wing Commander 4 introduced just a tiny bit of new fiction. The 'New Officer's Handbook' mentions CONFED READYNET. Later, Wing Commander Arena picked up on this reference and spun it as an alternative to the future world wide web. This handbook and the 'Battle Book' made up the game's documentation. You can download both booklets from the CIC Game Manuals section here.

You have entered CONFED READYNET. Unauthorized access strictly prohibited. Password:XXXXXXXX. Welcome ENSIGN. This is your first visit to READYNET.

Have a question, comment or tip for your fellow warriors? Contact us at editor@
starsoldier.tnc.media or visit us on ReadyNet, keyword StarSoldier.

--
Original update published on December 26, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if someone would catch that. :) It's an issue with the documentation, not anything different with the fighter itself. As you can see from the stats, it makes a very light "heavy" fighter.

I was wondering if someone would catch that. :) It's an issue with the documentation, not anything different with the fighter itself. As you can see from the stats, it makes a very light "heavy" fighter.

*scratches head* I always had trouble with that. The Vindi was clearly a Medium fighter (Tach/Laser... AWESOME!!!), though I don't think the Banshee is what we'd consider a light fighter either.

It is fast, but it also has a decent array of weaponry including missiles, a scatter cannon, and 4 laser cannons. Also, lets not dismiss the lasers that quickly, they may be light weapons by comparison, but the Banshee has a decent core that allows all four to continue firing constantly for a very long time. Let's all remember a certain WC2 fighter that was vicious with three laser cannons. It's pretty tough for a light fighter.

Yeah, that mistake has been there in every version of WC4. Check out the PC manual, too.

I suppose it's possible to take this mistake and run with it - maybe the Banshee originally was a heavy fighter, before the Border Worlds got their hands on it?

Back