BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander LP Inbound (December 29, 2022)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
It turns out 2022 isn't going to go out without a little bit of good news! Supercade has just announced that they will be launching a campaign to offer a vinyl record version of George Oldziey's Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Project:

This has been such an epic project and it’s bittersweet to finally be nearing the end. Gearing up to launch a new campaign for Supercade’s first soundtrack release on vinyl, the WING COMMANDER Orchestral Recording Project, and would be so grateful for your support! Update soon… pic.twitter.com/nhGx03TcLC— Van Burnham (@supercade71) December 29, 2022[/quote]

Wing Commander III, IV, Kilrathi Saga and Prophecy composer George Oldziey crowd funded a beautiful album of Wing Commander tracks recorded with a live orchestra several years ago which was offered at the time as a CD. Supercade began as a lavish history of video games with a project titled Supercade: A Visual History of the Videogame Age 1971-1984. They've since funded a second history book covering 1985 to 2001 and produced a variety of video game-related merchandise; this will be their first vinyl record. In fact, this would be the first Wing Commander music ever released on vinyl, a format which has seen a surge in popularity in recent years both because of its unique sound and for the more impressive presentability of the records and their larger format art. From the looks of the teaser image, this new release may be a limited edition that's minted in an impressive nebula-like colorway. We'll bring you all the details as soon as they're available!

--
Original update published on December 29, 2022

Hopefully it'll be available on CD or at least digitally as FLAC. Vinyl is nice, but far too often it's the only option - no CD, no digital download as FLAC (if you're lucky, you'll get MP3).

Hopefully it'll be available on CD or at least digitally as FLAC. Vinyl is nice, but far too often it's the only option - no CD, no digital download as FLAC (if you're lucky, you'll get MP3).
Unless I missunderstood something this is just a vinyl release of the already existing Oldziey orchestral project. You can buy CDs and digial downloads from his site and if you never did that already, what are you waiting for? ;)

Ah, I see. Well, I know I have that on CD and on high res recording around here somewhere.

The wonder, of course, is if it's just a vinyl pressing of that album, or if they're going to do something else with it.

George is pretty busy/laid back (semi retired but traveling/doing live music/etc) these days, so I don't believe there is any kind of additional remastering going on here.

As much as I like his Kickstarter work my favorite Oldziey composition is still the arrangements he did for the original game music. It's too bad he hasn't been able to go back to that, but at least we have the Swedish orchestras to fill the gap.

Has there ever been a post tracking down all the orchestrations that have been done over the years? I was surprised to see how many I had missed just this year alone.

Back