BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander IV on PSN! (December 23, 2009)

Having never downloaded anything to my PSP can someone anwer some questions:
Are the games copy protected? That is can they be backupped in any way should the memory card break.

The PSN store keeps a list of everything you've ever bought, and you can re-download them again whenever you want. The files themselves can be copied, but they're tied to the account owner. If you bought a new system, you would just need to activate it with your account credentials to play the file you bought.

The PS3 is a little more versatile than the PSP in that you can have multiple activated accounts at the same time. You coan go to a friend's house, log in with your PSN credentials, activate the system for using your account (you get 5 of these), and download and play the game on the big screen.

Are there any known problems with custom firmwares and downloadable PSP stuff?

Depending on the version of custom firmware you have, certain features might not work correctly, but in general, legit purchased PSN store stuff should co-exist with whatever else you're running.

Personally, I went for official firmware all the way -- got rid of my old fat PSP and the UMD discs and got a slick little PSP Go. There are plenty of games on the store now, I have other ways of running emulators, and I don't really have time to rip my PSone games to memory stick.

Does this play well on the PSP? It's missing two buttons and a stick compared to the PS controller. I know that this makes a some PS1 games virtually unplayable.

Depending on the version of custom firmware you have, certain features might not work correctly, but in general, legit purchased PSN store stuff should co-exist with whatever else you're running.

Personally, I went for official firmware all the way -- got rid of my old fat PSP and the UMD discs and got a slick little PSP Go. There are plenty of games on the store now, I have other ways of running emulators, and I don't really have time to rip my PSone games to memory stick.

Currently, no version of custom firmware is able to download games from PSN. I'm not sure if a game could be downloaded to another PSP, then played in a PSP with custom firmware. I do know that current PSN downloadable games can only be played on the newest versions of GEN firmware.

Does this play well on the PSP? It's missing two buttons and a stick compared to the PS controller. I know that this makes a some PS1 games virtually unplayable.

I don't know, but I don't think it'd work very well, to be perfectly honest. I can't remember exactly, but I think that the PSP's D-pad doubles for the L2 and R2 buttons. Something like left for L2, right for R2 and up for both at the same time.

The PSN store keeps a list of everything you've ever bought, and you can re-download them again whenever you want. The files themselves can be copied, but they're tied to the account owner. If you bought a new system, you would just need to activate it with your account credentials to play the file you bought.

Actually, it depends. For the PSP, you can download anything for PSP an unlimited number of times. For the PS3, you are limited to *5* downloads for games, and 3 for media like games. After that, you have to buy them again. The PSP gets unlimited downloads as it's meant for the PSPGo, which if you don't invest in super-expensive media, means you'll have to download and re-download purchases.

I don't know how this applies to Wing Commander, but I would guess it would be infinite as Popstation was originally for PSP, and later came onto the PS3.

Either way, Sony has a nasty habit of changing the terms suddenly, so I suggest backing up the files onto a DVD or something just in case.

It really depends with CFW. The latest ones still have issues getting onto PSN, but so far it only affects games that have a community mode (e.g., Little Big Planet PSP), as others can be done via your PS3 or PC. There is a special "secret identity" file that is stored on your PSP when you link, and sometimes when you do CFW, that identity file gets overwritten, leading to your PSN downloads getting corrupted.

Actually, it depends. For the PSP, you can download anything for PSP an unlimited number of times. For the PS3, you are limited to *5* downloads for games, and 3 for media like games. After that, you have to buy them again. The PSP gets unlimited downloads as it's meant for the PSPGo, which if you don't invest in super-expensive media, means you'll have to download and re-download purchases.

No, you can download anything you've ever purchased or downloaded on the network as many times as you want. The bit about five installs is that if you purchase a game, you can have it installed on a maximum of five PS3s simultaneously.

Ok I don't know if anyone has played through this entirely yet, but has anyone noticed that the disc four portion is somewhat glitchy? I hate to say it, but thats across the board. When I played it on my original PS1, I had to skip the cut scene in Axius because it would freeze up, and I only managed to get through the full ending once!@ :mad:

Back