BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander IV on GOG (April 3, 2012)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Fantastic news from GOG today: the last of the Wing Commander titles in their current allotment is now available! Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom is out now... and what's more, it's the massive DVD version! The release is just $5.99 and comes with copious extras. Check back throughout the day as we post retrospective updates relaetd to the making of Wing Commander IV. It's going to be a great day!

--
Original update published on April 3, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... guys... I appreciate your effort, but couldn't you have staggered all these retrospective updates over a couple of days? Whenever you do one of these big retrospectives with two dozens of updates, I wind up reading about three of them. I always plan to go back and read the rest the next day, but I never actually do :(. Maybe I'm the only one, but for me at least, it would be better to get these updates over multiple days - I would actually read more of them.

Great news!

...but I agree with Quarto, those are a lot of updates on one day. Also I actually feel a bit sorry for poor Major Payne and his Invasion mod, since I doubt that many people will look that far at the bottom of the page.

It's kind of the other way around. When we do these special huge GOG news slates they're actually mostly (though not 100%) comprised of news posts that have been sprinkled throughout the last few years' daily postings . On the day of release, the CIC usually sees a huge spike in traffic as people who read about the new WC game on other news sites start googling the series and wind up here. So the point is to have a special event that commemorates the launch and puts a ton of relevant information in front of the thousand new faces we might see today. If most of the posts look unfamiliar to you, then this is your second chance to read these awesome stories. :)

Still downloading. Does anyone know if they put the missing cutscenes in? At least the lo-res versions?

Still downloading. Does anyone know if they put the missing cutscenes in? At least the lo-res versions?

No missing scenes. This is the DVD version of the game though. And it now runs without all the fancy crap it needed before!

No missing scenes.
So the Excalibur assault and Bearcat assembly scenes are still missing, like with the DVD version that came with the graphic board? Too bad. Is it possible to patch the lo-res versions from the regular release in instead?

@Youngblood: I remember this problem. I think you have to install an AC3 codec for movie sound.

So the Excalibur assault and Bearcat assembly scenes are still missing, like with the DVD version that came with the graphic board? Too bad. Is it possible to patch the lo-res versions from the regular release in instead?

@Youngblood: I remember this problem. I think you have to install an AC3 codec for movie sound.

Errr I might have been wrong on those. I forget what exactly the team did. AD would be able to answer better, so take my first statement lightly until he confirms. It's been so long since we were testing this I've forgotten. ;)

Workday needs to hurry up and end. Been eons since I could do anything but stare at the damaged cds and play the *gags* playstation version. Still happy to have it and all it cost me getting a sandwich for lunch instead of ordering in!!!

Yahoo! My prayers have been answered!!! :D Wing Commander IV, here I come!!!

Just to clarify since I'm behind on the times, what makes the DVD version special? Is it simply of a much higher quality than the regular PC version? I realize I probably should know this by now, but.... :confused:

Does it use my patch or some other way to get the DVD movies working? :)

We worked out a custom patch that I believe uses elements from dxmci and ddhack... If we haven't yet, I believe the patch source will be made available. [EDIT: They should have included the DXMCI source somewhere in the download... It was in the package we sent GOG anyway]

Yahoo! My prayers have been answered!!! :D Wing Commander IV, here I come!!!

Just to clarify since I'm behind on the times, what makes the DVD version special? Is it simply of a much higher quality than the regular PC version? I realize I probably should know this by now, but.... :confused:

I didn't get the chance to play the DVD version til last year, and it is a very noticeable improvement in FMV quality.

I know this sounds like a totally stupid question (maybe it even is one) but it has been so long since I played any PC game, especially WC4: do I need the DVD patch even when I'm running the GOG-version or this it automatically use the DVD videos? Maybe I have been spoiled by all the Blurays but somehow I don't have the impression that the videos look that much better...

Thanks in advance.

You do not need any patches. The Maniac Team worked out some new fixes that means you should be able to just download, install and launch!

It automatically uses the DVD versions.

Back