BREAKING NEWS: More Wing Commander on GOG Confirmed (June 17, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
G4 is running a video interview with GOG's Head of PR and Marketing Trevor Longino in which he confirms that more Wing Commander and Ultima games will be released in the "next few weeks". Here's the relevant quote:
Now we're coming back with a new wave of EA classics. And we'll be bringing you more Wing Commander games, more Ultima games, games from the Lands of Lore series and games from the Sim City series, tonnes of great EA classics all coming to GOG in the next few weeks.
Mr. Longino also confirms that GOG is actively pursuing the rights to release games from the Syndicate and System Shock franchises. You can watch the full video, which explains the GOG service, here. Thanks to Elie for reporting this news! (Note that Lands of Lore is distinct from Chris Roberts' Times of Lore. That would be a cool game to see on the service.)

--
Original update published on June 17, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Wing Commander, Crusader, Syndicate and System Shock. Is it pure coincidence that they're all on my top ten list of my favourite game series of all time? Maybe i'll rethink that whole GoG business and get them all, just for the sake of not having to search for the disks every time. And not having to tinker with the Dosbox settings myself.

you know.. I already have most of these games and I buy digital downloads of games I already have all the time.. steam, gog. . the service matters little.. but it is so very handy to not have to go looking for disks, cds or do config tweaks.

and this is amazingly neat news!

Something I've wondered.

The CIC currently makes a fully playable version of WC1 available for free download, with EA's permission, if I recall correctly (it was the version bunded with a copy of PC magazine, or something like that?)

If WC1 is one of the games that GOG releases...do you think EA will tell the CIC to stop hosting the free version because they want people to buy the one on GOG?

Not a problem...I'll buy the GOG one anyway in hopes of sending EA a message to revive the franchise...but I was just curious.

The CIC is hosting the Kilrathi Saga version. It would be my desire that GOG would release the superior DOS version.

This is like all my birthdays coming at once. I am a big supporter of GOG and I can see me spending a lot of money on a Wing Commander game collection.

They are working on RF--it is a contract issue in that their deal with EA doesn't specifically mention addons. I'm sure it will be worked out soon--it's in nobody's best interests not to allow it and it will be a bigger deal when WC1 and Ultima 7 come out.

Which should be soon! I've heard August... which is now!

Back