BREAKING NEWS: More Wing Commander on GameTap (June 21, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
This is, by a wide margin, the least likely thing that has ever happened: the GameTap service is planning to add Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom to their extensive inventory of classic games available for legal download and play! I posted to their forum asking about the status of the previously announced Privateer release... there's no word on that yet, but their moderator provided some exciting news:
I did just get confirmation that Wing Commander IV will be coming soon to Gametap, so hopefully that will be some consolation to the Privateer limbo.
GameTap recently brought Wing Commander I to their service, allowing modern gamers to play it alongside nearly a thousand other retail titles for a low monthly fee. The addition of Wing Commander IV, a surprisingly large game even by today's standards, will be quite a coup. Are you ready to go back to the Border Worlds? I sure am!

--
Original update published on June 21, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting move WC4 is still a rather large game I can't imagine any changes will be done to the movie .tre files to make them smaller. Still its a very good move :)

Yeah, this came out of left field... but it's pretty neat! WCIV (on CD) is roughly the same size as Tomb Raider Legend, which GameTap also offers... so it's not without precedent, but it would be one of the largest games on the service for sure.

thats great news! I'd be willing to DL that
I am pleased for you guys on the other side of the pond, I just wish Gametap would hurry up and get over to the UK

I think someone in the UK can share an account with someone in the US - Hades is able to access an account Chris set up for him, I believe.

But I'm certainly all for making sure that Europeans can easily access the service sometime soon...

Back