BREAKING NEWS: Is a New Wing Commander Already In the Works? (September 8, 2011)

I'm so glad you guys have kept the pressure on for the last ten years, I doubt we'd be seeing as much as rumors of another Wing Commander game without all your efforts. Same for all the fan project guys.

Long term will most likely refer to a PC game. Console games have a much faster cycle. Good news indeed!

Cheer,

Long term will most likely refer to a PC game. Console games have a much faster cycle.
I'm not sure why you would think it is faster to produce a console game than a PC game, but it's totally not true. If anything, it's the other way round.

A Detroit Free Press article from May 27, 2011 entitled $25-million incentives cap will slow film business contains this:

May 27--There will be up to $25 million available for made-in-Michigan film projects under the budget approved Thursday by the state legislature.

That $25-million figure, originally proposed by Gov. Rick Snyder, represents a drastic reduction from the past three years, during which Michigan became a power player in the competition for movie, TV and digital work.

While a few previously approved high-profile projects are set to begin filming this summer, the pending applications for the incentives help demonstrate the slowdown that will likely happen under a $25-million annual cap.

. . .

Producers of some of the pending projects are very aware of what a cap means.

"Wing Commander," a video game project that would be a multiyear task, would change gears if it got approval tomorrow, says Chris Roberts, chief creative officer of Blink Media. But at the moment, it's focusing on Quebec as its future home.

"The cap sort of put a spanner in the works," says Roberts.

"My Beautiful Mistake" is still waiting for a response to its application for $6.8 million in incentives. According to producer Warren Ostergard, the movie will be made elsewhere if things don't work out in Michigan.

http://cawidgets.morningstar.ca/Art...uire&r=201105270538MCT_____REG_NEWS5219118_0&

I take it you disagree with his comments about the Wing Commander movie? ;)

A quick look on www.boxofficemojo.com and www.rottentomatoes.com would tend to show it was not a successful movie...Anything but, by the looks of it.

I think it's quite admirable that the CIC has stuck behind the movie all these years, celebrating the fact that it is yet another facet of the Wing Commander experience. It doesn't stop the fact that it was a bad movie. I was horribly dissapointed by it.

Back back on topic now... ;)

I take it you disagree with his comments about the Wing Commander movie? ;)

A quick look on www.boxofficemojo.com and www.rottentomatoes.com would tend to show it was not a successful movie...Anything but, by the looks of it.

I think it's quite admirable that the CIC has stuck behind the movie all these years, celebrating the fact that it is yet another facet of the Wing Commander experience. It doesn't stop the fact that it was a bad movie. I was horribly dissapointed by it.

Back back on topic now... ;)

The issue isn't whether the movie is good, it's the baseless nonsense about how he blames the movie for there not being a game in the last 10 years. Why even make the comment? Also, he's completely wrong about how Chris feels about the film. I would know, since I asked Chris myself recently (he'd like to recut it to fix stuff with CG kilrathi etc).

Or then there's the part about WC4 being the last "real" WC game, and then likening prophecy to a Highlander sequel. What?

The guy basically copy pasted LOAFs CIC update and added those two gems to it. I'm glad this story is getting attention but I can do with out the snark.

AD has the right idea about what I meant. It's one thing to be constructively critical about the movie (and he wasn't), but the remarks that really threw me was his opinion (which should have no bearing in an objectively written article) that Prophecy 'doesn't count'.

I don't usually click on links to read external articles - and I'm not having a go about the stuff you read, c0mc0 - but I really wish I hadn't, in this case.

No offense taken, Wedge. It's certainly not a site I frequent - I'd never heard of it. I found it while doing some more investigating on Google on Bl!nk Media and thought it was neat to see people actively looking to the CIC for updates on the unfolding story. :)

As long as it had good game play and good story, this would have to be epic; how could it not be?! I imagine any new Wing Commander would more than likely be a complete reboot, if a mass market audience of any type is to be captured? That would also enable all the old cast to do voice work as the pilots we know and love...
A good setting for it might be after WC1 but before the destruction of the Claw--that way we can have Tolwyn as the ship's commander, and Blair and Maniac are still on active flight duty.

I dunno about that. I'm worried my head would explode with another "re-telling" of WC1 to fit into the already crowded timeline ;).

I'm a huge fan, but not up on the lore of the secret missions packs etc. Isn't there a period after they finished and WC2 begins? If so, that would indeed be a neat timeline. Only if they preserved the designs though. I love WC1 ship designs. You can't "reimagine" the Tiger's Claw! They already mucked that up in the movie.*

* In my humble opinion. ;)

The K'tithrak Mang-operation is after SM and ends right before WC2. But I don't really know, if this would fit.

I recently played the new Mortal Kombat, which retells the story of the first three Mortal Kombats. That worked pretty well, but on the other hand, MK never had a complex story with that much content. A Wing Commmander Kilrathi Saga retelling would be too much for one game. I would vote for a WC2-timeline game :).

Although, didn't Chris mention a multi-game prospect in one of his interviews regarding Bl1nk Media? Of course, there's nothing to say that other games would be Wing Commander games, I guess...

I wonder if a new game would revisit the existing characters or start in a different section of the universe. I personally hope that if a game is made, its set during the Kilrathi war, but we're following a different group of pilots. And c0mc0 makes a good point - there is an eight year gap in the timeline (2656-2664) between the destruction of the Tiger's Claw and the beginning of Wing Commander II's storyline that we have very little information about. Might be a good place to put a game in.

IMO, that would be a risky choice. Although we would find that very interesting, the "normal" WC-gamer would want a WC with Maniac and Blair in it. It would be a nice thing for a possible second game, but I think it's too risky for a comeback game. I would buy it, though!

Back