BREAKING NEWS: First Arena Screenshots! (February 22, 2007)

Wow, crazy news. Just the other day I was thinking they can't possibly leave this franchise alone forever.

I'm so glad to see the beloved WC franchise finally getting some love again! I'm not sure how I feel about it based on the screenshots, but I'll be damn sure giving it a try. We can only hope a positive response will inject a top quality product in to the market later on.

Glad to see wcnews is still kicking! The first place I looked after reading the press release.

Your ollllllllllllllllllddddddd pal,
ShadowLight

Finally, EA actually DOSE SOMETHING with the franchise. Not what I was expecting, but any bit of love is appreciated (especially since this might be the grease that turns the gears of the machine that makes true WC games). Looks like it could be a fun Arcade type title and if it builds a bigger fan base, great.

However I don't own a X-Box360, nor do I have the funds to buy one and I probably won't anytime in the near future. I bought a Wii and a couple of games after Christmas and my mom has been breathing down my neck about how much that cost (reducing overall funds and parental tolerance). Plus my books this semester cost $500, so I'm running low on the ol' Greenbacks.

Yeah, so I just hope that a PC or Wii version comes out. That would be nice.

A Wii version would be awesome, I'd be very excited about the controls on it...

Unfrotunatley thus far, whilst Nintendo has claimed its coming, there is no means for developers to publish original content, furthermore the online buddy system is childish and most developers don't have any SDK to work with yet. To put it short, for a Wii version Nintendo would need to get their online act in gear pronto.

PC, with the new XBox Live/ Vista friendliness promises, and the similarity in PC and 360 development... that's quite likely. Heck this is EA, if the PS3, Wii and Vista all deliver on their promises quickly enough we may see it going massively multi-format.

glad to see a new WC game
for now htat's all I'll say as my thoughts are drifting negative based on the screen shots but it's too early to be making an informed decision

glad to see a new WC game
for now htat's all I'll say as my thoughts are drifting negative based on the screen shots but it's too early to be making an informed decision

Better look again -- you can find Rapiers, Broadswords and Dralthi in there -- this is fantastic!

yeah, and to use another franchise as an example, did mario kart detract from the Mario games? no, in fact it breathed a new life into a franchise by introducing whole new methods of play.

This could be exactly what WC needs to get a proper kick-start!

Yeah, you have to look pretty darned hard -- or just be a big jerk -- to find bad news in *this*!

Looking closer at the screen shots (especially the last one where the background nebula is oddly mapped on a square polygon parallel to the capships) it looks like the game is on a 2D plane (or if there is 3d movement, it's extremely limited). I guess there is nothing specifically wrong with that from a game play standpoint, but it certainly isn't what I was expecting or hoping for.

Ooh. This is going to be interesting! I can't wait. If I needed any additional reason to pick up a 360 Hard drive, this is it!
I must admit, I'm just a little bit disappointed in the graphics. I had hoped the next WC game would blow my socks off, as all the others had. Even though all the ships are there - and more - they just look a bit mundane.
Still, that's such a minor, minor disapointment. And who knows how much they'll change before the release?
MULTIPLAYER WING COMMANDER! On the 360!
Hooooly Shit!
LOAF, you must feel like a proud papa!

Looking closer at the screen shots (especially the last one where the background nebula is oddly mapped on a square polygon parallel to the capships) it looks like the game is on a 2D plane (or if there is 3d movement, it's extremely limited). I guess there is nothing specifically wrong with that from a game play standpoint, but it certainly isn't what I was expecting or hoping for.

Nope, it isn't Descent FreeSpace 3. But seriously, it's slightly more complicated than this -- it's on a 2D plane that also has maneuvering up and down via separate maneuver system... it's very hard to explain -- hopefully there'll be a movie of some sort available in the future.

I must admit, I'm just a little bit disappointed in the graphics. I had hoped the next WC game would blow my socks off, as all the others had. Even though all the ships are there - and more - they just look a bit mundane

I'm kind of surprised with how it looks, too -- the screenshots have a sort of muddy quality that doesn't portray how it feels in HD at all. That said, you're going to find some *very* cool takes on classic Wing Commander fighters.

Nope, it isn't Descent FreeSpace 3. But seriously, it's slightly more complicated than this -- it's on a 2D plane that also has maneuvering up and down via separate maneuver system... it's very hard to explain -- hopefully there'll be a movie of some sort available in the future.

So, its a 2D shooter with a cool innovation for moving up and down on a limited 3rd axis. In that case, I'm very interested to see how this innovation affects the core gameplay. Do you have any idea how the 3rd axis affects the aiming system?

So, its a 2D shooter with a cool innovation for moving up and down on a limited 3rd axis. In that case, I'm very interested to see how this innovation affects the core gameplay. Do you have any idea how the 3rd axis affects the aiming system?

The up-down maneuvers are fairly important to the core game -- they're required for everything from evading your opponents to reaching various areas of the maps.

I'm not sure about aiming, though.

I may not like the art, but having the ability to pound fellow WingNuts into space dust is just too damn attractive. The capships look like ashtrays with stapled accessories, but the fighters are just awesome.

All the fighters in the screen shots look too tiny to make any educated claim about how good they look. personally, I think that from what I've seen that they look like cardboard cutouts, but it's possible that they're LODed and look better up close. The cap ships seem to look ugly when you're very close to them, but from a distance look much better (but too shiny!). The backgrounds look kind of washed out, blurry, and are on weird planes.

But I don't really care about the graphics. It's the gameplay that will make or break the game.

remember, it's just a live game... most of those don't have amazing graphics, they are just fun games...

but this could lead to something else

The press release does say "multiple-teams" so it's possible that there's support for more than two teams in a game. That would certainly be cool!

Im definatly going to buy this game when it comes out. But I think its to soon to tell if its going to suck or not either way its going into my collection.

Why can't they just remake the engine that they used in Armada/Wc3/Wc4 and add some multiplayer to that. I would have a blast playing online in those my fondest memories come from the old armada days.

I really can't wait and this is great news.

Back