BREAKING NEWS: EA Announces... Something? (February 21, 2008)

I just wanted to say this is great (possible) news! I really hope the rumors are true, it would be wonderful to have such a game! :)

Yeah, for the scenarios between missions I was envisioning more of an FPS feel as opposed to the way it was handled in WCIII. I do agree about having a map, and having to be careful about not making the carrier become to small. I suppose this is an area that will require innovation and new thinking - two areas WC has traditionally excelled in.

To echo another post, I am completely pumped as well...:D

Basicall, combine a Wing Commander-style flight engine and physics (ships fly foreward and use afterburners, and don't strafe, and no on-the-fly upgrades) with a Descent-like setting (anyone remember how great playing Descent I was?)

No, just... no. There's a reason why I bought every Wing Commander game and never bought any Descent game.

Also, there's a source mod that specifically mixed FPS gameplay and space combat. The main thing that really kept it from working for me was the space combat controls. Other than that, the mod is a definite proof of concept. I can't say whether the two distinct sides of the game melded that well ( I don't think they did really) but it goes to show that FPS engines certainly can work for space combat.

The mod you're thinking of is "Eternal Silence": http://www.eternal-silence.net/

No, just... no. There's a reason why I bought every Wing Commander game and never bought any Descent game.

I remember having alot of fun playing the Descent series. I thought it was a great premise. What didn't you like about it?

My money is on a Road Rash game.

Project Redlime.. Redline?

I used to love Road Rash for Genesis, hitting someone in the face on motorbikes with a chain, or checking them into cars.

Good times.

I think it was the other thread where I said this, but making a code name that you can use to guess the end product somewhat defeats the purpose of having the code name. There's probably not too much you can draw from the actual word 'RedLime'.

Surfer Girl Update:
Surfer Girl said:
[...]
4) RedLime is not Road Rash nor is it [insert locale here] Strike (I am not so sure how you crazy kids came up with those ones), but I do see the correct answer amongst the guesses by commenters on a blog post about RedLime (do not bug me about it, you shall find out about it sooner than you expect outside of the blogosphere)
[...]

Sadly, I'm afraid I have to play devil's advocate here and guess Ultima. Seems to me that EA would see a potential cashcow in a revamped Ultima MMORPG. Might even compete with WOW if they do it right.

Of course, this is the pessimist in me talking.

If it is indeed WC, I'm mildly concerned about the changes insinuated. Nothing would ruin it for me more than 3rd person ship view and no joystick controls. Well . . . I take that back. Doing something horrible with the universe and storyline would ruin it for me, too.

Sadly, I'm afraid I have to play devil's advocate here and guess Ultima. Seems to me that EA would see a potential cashcow in a revamped Ultima MMORPG. Might even compete with WOW if they do it right.

If it is indeed WC, I'm mildly concerned about the changes insinuated. Nothing would ruin it for me more than 3rd person ship view and no joystick controls. Well . . . I take that back. Doing something horrible with the universe and storyline would ruin it for me, too.

Except that they just recently revamped UO (which is still being run out of EA Mythic - the same company that is working on puttin out Warhammer Online, which seems to be more of a WOW competitor.

Actually I would love to see a new single player Ultima game. Although I would much prefer Wing Commander, the Ultima series has always been among my favorite RPGs.

Beloved?! So much for CyberMage 2.

I would argue strongly against an Ultima relaunch, simply on the belief that Electronic Arts is smart enough to know that it isn't a very good idea. All of the Ultima "characters" are (somewhat disgruntled) former employees... (plus, Ultima 9 wasn't a big seller.)

True; actually, I believe Richard Garriott owns the rights to the characters. But they did mention "new direction." Never said it'd serve the fanbase of the series.

Hopefully it is not Ultima, seeing as how EA steered IX into a ditch. I'm inclined to believe that it isn't, was just basing the statement off of their wording.

I'd love for it to be Crusader, as well, but I highly doubt it; though it'd be cool if it got the over-the-shoulder FPS treatment.

Something tells me it's either WC or System Shock.

Back