BREAKING NEWS: Amazon Lists Wing Commander Academy! (January 21, 2012)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Amazon.com has finally posted a product page for Wing Commander Academy on DVD! This is a day we've been eagerly anticipating since the preliminary Canadian Amazon.ca page went up in September. The new storefront features the box art and confirms the May 29, 2012 release date. It also offers the set at a preorder price of $17.49, compared to the MSRP of $24.98. Super exciting - it's getting closer! Order your copy now!

Product Details
Format: NTSC
Language: English
Studio: Millennium Media Services
DVD Release Date: May 29, 2012
Run Time: 286 minutes

Check out this video for an example of the set's fantastic image quality.

--
Original update published on January 21, 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
That sample vid is amazing, I am definately going to special order this into the UK when its released.

I'm thinking we could have a little party for the release, since we have time to plan. Would folks be interested in getting together somewhere in May?

That's not the region coding. Any DVD in the US, including any region 0 title you might import, is NTSC. But that's not an issue with DVD like it was with VHS, as all PAL players in Europe convert it automatically.

IIRC, not all PAL format DVD players will do it automatically. My DVD player is a Philips from 2007 and it it had to be 'unlocked' to play import DVDs.

Nothing illegal about the hacking process though. This was simply a case of going online, Googling the DVD player model number, finding the 'hack code' and then simply typing a series of digits into the remote. An on-screen notification then confirmed I could play anything.

I'm pretty sure all PAL DVD players can be unlocked in this way.

Hmm, are you sure that isn't a region unlock? Region 0 NTSC DVDs aren't necessarily imports--some companies manufacture them that way when they'll be selling the same release in both regions.

Every PAL player is capable of playing back NTSC, albeit some need to have it enabled(especially the more expensive ones). However, every disc you find on the shelf in a store is PAL, unless it is some sort of import.

You guys are confusing two different things.

NTSC vs. PAL - these are TV systems. NTSC is used in North America, Japan and a few other places. PAL is used in Europe, Asia and other places. PAL DVD players may or may not be able to play NTSC DVDs, and vice versa. (The frame format is different, so some players may not have the necessary framebuffer space). Computer DVD players, consoles, and possibly Blu-Ray players should be able to, but it's not guaranteed.

Region coding - there are 5 regions in the world, (region 1 is North America, for example). When a DVD is manufactured, it may be configured with a region code, or none at all. When a DVD player is manufactured, the factory sets up a region code on it. A region 1 DVD doesn't work in a region 2/3/4/5/6/7 player. A region 0 DVD works everywhere. There are various hacks available for most DVD players to let them play DVDs from other regions.

Blu-Ray lacks the video system (it's got a resolution - 480i/p, 525i/p standard def, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and a frame rate, and these are well specified), but it has a 3 region coding scheme (A, B and C). Blu-Rays may be manufactured without a region code (You'll see "ABC" on the box), or one of those regions. (This applies to game Blu-Rays as well).

Note that video system and region are NOT related to each other. Every DVD made will be "NTSC", "PAL" or "SECAM" depending on its target audience. Every DVD may or may not be region coded, and while there's usually a relation between region code and target video system (because few North American players will successfully play PAL DVDs, for example, even region free PAL), but just because it says "NTSC" doesn't mean it's region locked.

Back OT - Amazon usually lists the region code. For this, they don't know, so it may be region free, or it may not. If it is, or isn't, won't be known until we get the DVD.

However, on something like the Wing Commander Movie, it says "Region: (US and Canada This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)" which means for sure it's region coded.

So everyone eutside North America - if you have a region free player, you're all set. If not, you can hope it's region 0.

Back