Bossman Comic Relaunched (August 11, 2009)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
NinjaLA, winner of the CIC's 2007 art contest, has finished the first four pages of his Wing Commander comic in honor of the anniversary:
Starting things off on a high note for this (the 10th anniversary of the Wing Commander movie) I have re-launched the Wing Commander comic with weekly updates. This series deals with a sticky point from the Wing Commander movie, namely why Commander "Bossman" Chen is dead in the movie but alive when the story of Wing Commander 1 takes place. I hope to explain the 'how's and 'why's of his capture and explore some of his trials in captivity.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured I'd wait until after some of the initial Standoff release excitement died down to call your attention to this :D

Currently I am planning one update per week, but depending on schedule I might increase that to two or three. what is a good update day for everybody?

new page available!

bossmanpage4.jpg

also can be viewed in traditional comic format at:
http://www.comicspace.com/avtcomics/comics.php?action=read&file_id=302211

P.S. the quest for a decent font continues.. any suggestions are welcome.. and I'll go back and redo the text in these once a suitable one has been located.

Thanks for the update. Looking good, though you're right, a nicer font would be helpful. I don't know if Shades is still around, but he seemed to have quite a good eye for spotting WC-related fonts, as is evident in his PDF publications.

Choosing a new font won't necessarily fix the problem, and even if it did it would only be in spite of the actual cause. The text needs to be properly smoothed by the software.

The first question is: What are you using to put this together?

sorry guys, I did a pretty quick upload on this one since I was preparing for a work trip. I'll be home late tomorrow and make it easier to read.

the program I'm using to put it together is a photoshop clone program called photoimpact from corel.

I think my mistake was adding the text before I shrunk it down for upload. I can fix it when I have my own computer instead of company laptop handy.

That's not necessarily the mistake you've been making.

You have to make sure when you alter the dimensions of the image that the application is set to filter everything so it still appears correctly to the human eye. In PhotoImpact there'll be a dropdown labeled "Resample" or something like that.

Unless, of course, you're preventing that deliberately because it's messing up how the art looks, in which case your best bet is to simply add the text after resizing.

After another look, I'd have to concur. The artefacts I'm seeing are just the sort of aliasing effects I'd expect from reducing an image's dimensions without interpolation.

this update'll be a little bit late since I've been at work all week, but I promise I'll get a new page in the next day or two and also fix some of the text on previous comics.

Back