boot disk

Buzzard

Spaceman
Ok, i have read your threads and have learned about dos a little but i still need help creating a boot disk. I have a pentium 133 with 96mb ram. I can't access my cd drive through dos though. My cd drive is on drive E. I have 2 harddrives(C,D). In dos when i type in e: its says invalid drive specification.

So a couple people told me to create a startup disk through windows. That worked great i can access my cd drive, but now i have insufficiant ram available because the startup disk only allows 2mb of ram or something. I tried a config.sys file that i found here, but that didn't work because i don't have a clue what my driver is for my cd rom drive. Windows says that it doesn't need one for this device so i'm guessing it's some generic driver that works for all cd drives.

I don't have Internet access at my house so i don't have my config.sys file nor my autoexec.bat on hand. I can tell you that my config.sys file has only three lines the middle one being emm386.exe. and my autoexec.bat file has only two that i think work the sound.

So if you need more info to help let me know and i will get it. Thanks

Which game are you trying to get working? What is are OS and sound card? Post your c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys and c:\windows\dosstart.bat.

Sorry, I'm trying to get Privateer 1 working and i'm using windows98. I will get a copy of those files and post them. thanx

Ok here ya go

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

Autoexec.bat
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2

Dosstart.bat
C:\SBAP64V\APINIT.COM

My cdrom driver is in c:\windows\inf\mscdrom.inf
just as i thought i opened that file in notepad and it was a universal driver. Also i don't think that dosstart.bat works because when it loads its says pci driver or device detection failed or something.

I found a driver for my cdrom drive from sony that works in 95 and DOS. Atapi_cd.sys, If you know where to find a better one let me know. My cd model is sony cdu4821.

I got the game running, but no sound. Do i have something wrong in my autoexec.bat? Should i search for another driver for my soundblaster 16 as well? The game keeps telling me that i have my sound configuration wrong and unloads the game.
IRQ=5
PORT=220
DMA=1

Here a autoexec.bat and config.sys. You'll need to fulling the CD-ROM info in the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Also add the mouse in the autoexec.bat.

BUZZARD
CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
DOSSTART.BAT
C:\SBAP64V\APINIT.COM

----AUTOEXEC.BAT-----
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
ECHO=OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBAP64V
(There is a posting restriction on how long a line can be without spaces. The two above lines should be one. Please remove this bold staetment from the autoexec.bat.)
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$P$G

REM ---THE BELOW LINES ARE FOR THE SOUND CARD---
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\SBAP64V\APINIT.COM

REM --THE BELOW LINES IS FOR THE MOUSE.--

REM --THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM--

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
ECHO=ON
C:

-------CONFIG.SYS--------
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE 16384

REM --- THE BELOW LINE IS FOR THE CD-ROM ---

DOS=HIGH, UMB
STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

The sound still does not work. The line in the dosstart file is wrong because it says it can't find the device or something. I think that its for a different sound card anyway. I have a soundblaster 16 and it runs off a generic driver. any ideas?

Forgive me for butting in, but do you have any disks or CDs which came with your sound card? That'd be a good place to start. I think if you look at your sound card's web site, there might be some drivers there.

My computer was given to me. No cds. So give me step by step instructions. Do i go and get new dos drivers for dos from SB? Where do i put them, what do i write in the config.sys/autoexec.bat/dosstart? Stuff like that. Thanks a lot.

Ok guys i got sound. It works great!!! I went to the sb site and downloaded the CTCM and CTCU download for dos. I put this in my autoexec.bat file:

SET CTCM=<C:\CTCM>
<C:\CTCM>\CTCU /S /W=<C:\WINDOWS>
Loadhigh=c:\ctcm\ctsb16.sys

and this in my config.sys file:

DEVICE=<C:\CTCM>\CTCM.EXE

It works!! Thanx for all the help.

Back