Boot disk for Privateer 1

J Man

Spaceman
I just downloaded an old favorite - Privateer 1, but need a boot disk. Can't find the code that I need to write anywhere on the net. I'm not a techy, so if anyone could let me know the exact code that I need to write to a disk.
I do know that I have to write a new config.sys & autoexec.bat, but don't know what goes there. Also, any other files that I need to create on the boot disk?
I did read the FAQs, but it didn't quite make sense to me. BTW, I don't have the CDs either. Seems to me that when I had this game a few years ago, I didn't need it.

Thanks a bunch!:)

Re: boot disk

I have found refernce to an "install guide", but can't find it anywhere on the net. I think that I remember it having what I need on a single page. Can anyone email me a .pdf of it?
Thanks again.
- J Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: boot disk

I've got the files copied to the disk; however, when I start up the comuter, it says "non-system disk" - what's the prob?

Thanks
J Man

Also just downloaded & ran MyJemm, but it "can't run program" Maybe it's a sign???
BTW, I'm running Win 95 w. a 100MHz processor & 64M RAM. This cpu was donated, and am willing to uninstall Windows, if need be, and start from scratch again.

Thanks for the help so far, Chris.

J Man

A boot disk is a lot more than a config.sys and an autoexec.bat (or at least a little more). Go into Windows Explorer, select the A drive with the disk in it and go to File and Format. Format it as a system disk, and then customize the config.sys and autoexec.bat on there.
The MyJemm problem is probably coincidental and not indicative of one unilateral problem. Nevertheless, tweaking of your startup files may fix both.

Originally posted by J Man
Also just downloaded & ran MyJemm, but it "can't run program" Maybe it's a sign???

What version of P1 are you using? Disk or CD version?
Could you post the exact error message?

As to the boot disk: Goto drive C:, then enter:
SYS A:
This will copy the files needed to create a bootdisk.

Chris:

Formated disk as you suggested. Then I edited the config.sys autoexec.bat using code from Ghost -

"Bootdisk to play Privateer or other DOS game

This work for me and others here:
Config.sys

devicehigh=himem.sys
devicehigh=emm386.exe ram 16384 i=b000-b7ff
dos=high,umb
fileshigh=30
buffershigh=30
devicehigh=vide-cdd.sys /d:mscd001 (is my CD-rom driver, replace with yours ) ** I did not write this line - don't really need CD driver**

Autoexec.bat
loadhigh=mscdex /d:mscd001
loadhigh=a:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO ( this is my Sound card Driver replace with yours) ** didn't write this line**
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4 *** didn't write this line - not worried about sound yet.***
Loadhigh=mouse.exe"

This is what came up:
"File missing or corrupted: himem.sys
" " " " : emm386.exe
Warning: high memory area (HMA) not available
Additional low memory (below 640K) will be used instead"

Also, the "loads" from the Autoexec.bat didn't work either

Note: did not load CD-ROM driver or soundcard.

Cff:
I am not running either CD or Disk - I downloaded it. Though now I'm thinking that I'll go out and buy it, w. all the trouble I'm having.

Originally posted by J Man

Cff:
I am not running either CD or Disk - I downloaded it. Though now I'm thinking that I'll go out and buy it, w. all the trouble I'm having.

In that case why you expect that someone will help you getting a pirated version to run?!...

Sides even a DL version hast to have been either Disk or CD in its Origin. Without knowning which troubleshoting is even more problematic...

Originally posted by cff
In that case why you expect that someone will help you getting a pirated version to run?!...

Sides even a DL version hast to have been either Disk or CD in its Origin. Without knowning which troubleshoting is even more problematic...

I was unaware that downloads were taboo. In that case, I'll drop it, and see if I can't pick one up on Ebay or something. Where else could I find a reliable version of Priv 1?
Thanks for the help so far - if I run into problems down the road, I know where to come.
J Man

Back