Boot Disk Configuation

Hi, I apologize now ... Im stupid!
The first game I ever learned to play on a 486 computer was Privateer. And It ran with out a hitch normal install. But I have never been able to get it to run on this compaq presario 5670 P2 450mgz 128 ram. It says not enough upper memory. Ive tried to figure out the Bootdisk thingy but im just plain scared to go and mess the system....Can anyone help me with a Boot Disk Copy that will solve this problem? I miss Privateer, its like an old lost friend...I miss cruisin all over...runnin away from the cats & running contaband. Can someone with Patience help me? :confused:

First: You're only stupid if you don't ask. :) In any case, Privateer seems to be the hardest game to get working on newer computers, so you're not alone.
Second: If we didn't have patience, there wouldn't be a Tech Support forum.

I've got Privateer to work on my old Compaq P166. Anyway, post the contents of your system files (config.sys and autoexec.bat) and a solution will be worked out (eventually!).

:\Config.sys
Hi Wedge...Thank you for the reply....I sure hope we are successful. The Privateer disk I have is the Privateer/rightous Fire combined (Classic's Disk). In case Thats important. Here Is My
C:\Config.Sys-

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,AUTO,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\C
PQIDECD.SYS /D:IDECDOO1
FILESHIGH=40
BUFFERSHIGH=20,4
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P /E:2048

I'll Use another Thread to post the C:\autoexec.bat-

C:\autoexec.bat-

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D3 T4
LH C:\WINDOWS\ASP4DOS.COM

C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\VIRUSS~1\SC
ANPM.EXE C:\ /NOEXPIRE
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
@ECHO OFF

\CPQS\TOOLS\DNY E:
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO SKIPE
IF EXIST E:\MFGOO.BAT CALL E:\MFGOO.BAT
IF EXIST E:\MFGOO.BAT DEL E:\MFGOO.BAT
IF EXIST E:\CINFIG.BAT E:\CONFIG.BAT E:\CONFIG.BAT

:SKIPE
\CPQS\TOOLS\DNY D:
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO SKIPED
IF EXIST D:\MFGOO.BAT CALL D:\MFGOO.BAT
IF EXIST D:\MFGOO.BAT DEL D:\MFGOO.BAT
IF EXIST D:\CONFIG.BAT D:\CONFIG.BAT

:SKIPED
\CPQS\TOOLS\CPQSLOG D:>>\CPQS\BACKWEB\USERPROF.DAT

:XIT
@REM Next 3 lines are only Required for 1 Boot but are ok to leave permanently

IF EXIST D:\PATCHES\PATCHES.BAT CALL D:\PATCHES.BAT
IF EXIST D:\SEHCTAP\NUL REN D:\SEHCTAP PATCHES
@REM Next Line added by Compaq Service Connection Instal-Please do not Remo
@REM Next 3 Lines are only Required for 1 Boot but are OK to leave Permanently
ECHO bw_workgroup=,"Service Connection">>%DSHD%\CPQS\BACKWEB\USERPROF.DAT
IF EXIST \PIPOST.BAT CALL \PIPOST.BAT
IF EXIST \PIPOST.BAT DEL \PIPOST.BAT
\CPQS\TOOLS\MINIEFER2.EXE CREV=,200 LANG=,"EN"
SET PATH=C:\PROGRA~1\ASYMET~1\ASYM
ET~1\DVP50

Please Note Wedge that some of the lines above wraped from their original single lines to form two lines. And That This (~) Character on the Original File I Typed Copied was Higher, Not in the middle as displayed here. Don't Know if that matters.

My E-Mail Address is RU42BAFLY@MSN.COM I Really Do Appreciate The time Your Taking.

Hey Jill... i just got my boot disk in order... it needs sound and all, but as long as you do like wedge siad in my post and edit the tree file to go to the new directory where you copied the cd to, these files will run a boot disk... you just have to add sound drivers and mouse drivers... they are configured for a windows 98se machine... i think this setup yields like 600+k free

Autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:WINDOWS\COMMAND

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\windows\EMM386.EXE 16384 ram
DOS=HIGH,umb
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25

Oh, and is it just me or do we need Like a board just for Privateer problems? hope that helps some...

Baron Fel...

Hi Guys, Did what you told Baron to do and I was able to get the boot disk to run the game..
But...No Mouse,Music or sound? Joystick would be nce too :) I bey we are on the right track any ideas how to laguage-write them into the boot disk? I have a sidewinder Pro...Feeling teased by this program...so very close. Any idea's? :)

Thankyou Wedge for The Mouse Help...I'll work on that prob next and start hunting for the DOS drivers for my sidewinder, cd player,sound,speech... :)

Don't need the CD player drivers, they'll just take up space <G>

As for the sidewinder, I don't *think* you can use a digital 'stick in DOS... the best thing to do would be to get one of those $5 analog joysticks at CompUSA.

Ehh, I've always managed to get Privateer running from a CD... but that's just me. ;) If memory ever becomes an issue, I'm sure chucking out the CD drivers will be easy.

[Actually, I think the CD drivers already left out...]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I don't *think* you can use a digital 'stick in DOS... the best thing to do would be to get one of those $5 analog joysticks at CompUSA.

ALERT: I guess I'm not clear on what constitutes a "digital" stick, but I know for a fact that ya can use a Saitek X36 stick/combo (is that considered "digital"?...if not, it's still a pretty recent vintage controller, and besides, it flat-out ROCKS!) on old "DOS" games.

I have this (the serial, not the more recent USB version), and eso es no problema with my older WC games... T'would be a shame to use a cheapo $5 stick on a rockin' game like that. Comprendes?...

Hey...So Many ideas to help...Thanks guys...I'll pick up a cheapy stick....And if I dont need the CD to play how can I locate my speech & Music Drivers? If I can nail those, I rule :) Thanks again guys watching privateer play on my cpu is nice but ya know its music and funky speech are what makes Privateer special :)

Jill, you talking about the good old Sidewinder 3D Pro? You don't need any drivers at all for it! One of the COOLEST features of the 3D Pro was that outside of Windows (when no device drivers are loaded) it runs in standard analog mode. It ONLY functions as a digital joystick within Windows. That little switch on the front of the stick is just for these type of situations. One position is for Thrustmaster mode and the other is for CH Flightstick Pro mode (which were two kick-ass sticks back in the day). I used my 3D Pro under DOS all the time for Privateer, WC2 and WC3 without a hitch until the day it died *snif*. Joysticks typically have never needed any drivers to speak of to work under DOS. Any and all programming needed to support joysticks was up to the developer to program into the game itself which is one of the reasons why programmers eventually liked Windows because they only had to program for the API's, not the hardware itself.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. If that stick is indeed the 3D Pro, you don't need to do a single thing other than plug it in. :)

Back