WarSong

Captain
(Link removed)

This runs Privateer, floppy version from a ramdisk, with
4meg virtual disk
SB live support
mouse
cd support
transfers your save file to and from a floppy disk (b:)

The CD boots up, the minipriv version only has Privateer, it does not include Rightous Fire, no speech pak. If you do not have a SB live then your out of luck for now, I will post the boot disk image soon, but for now just burn the iso and let the machine boot up off of it. I've tested it, standard joysticks function just fine, the ramdisk is 4096k big, the do environment is limited to 8192k the available conventional memory is capped at 590k, so you need at least 12 megs, 16 just to be carefull. If the game runs too fast, disable the CPU cache from your bios.

The privateer game itself is available from , the original boot disk image was from abandonia.

Read the rules, no warez allowed here.

Instead, you could put up instructions for people to make their own.

Alright, then is posting my boot floppy's image against the rules?

11) Linking to, offering, requesting, or hinting at the existence or whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez or other illegal content, can result in immediate banning.

That seems it would cover the files within an image, after all EMM386 isn't free now is it? I want to be sure before I "Link to, offer, request or hint at the existance or whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez or other illegal content".

I don't suppose I could post the contents of my AUTOEXEC.BAT either, as that file is provided by Microsoft and had to be paid for.

Just trying to blend in.

Yeah look, I'm just a little miffed k? No one wants to do all the work to get this game running. I got something that works and I'm quite willing to share it, but it seems other people like to decide what I can and cannot share, so why bother?

On the other hand, people want this info, such as it is. So I will provide what I am ALLOWED and nothing more, I'm just not too cheerful about the restrictions.

eh'... lets not be nazis here guys...

i find it amazing that this is an issue considering this very site has contraband on it...

using the same logic i heard about the files hosted here, 'no one will bother us blah blah, if they cared they woulda said something by now blah blah', i doubt anyone would bother anyone else over a boot cd, given that you can google boot disks and get a zillion of them.

in any case,
just do a stand alone boot cd that doesn't have the game in it.
get a few sound drivers / cd drivers
and make a boot-menu that gives users a choice which ones to load.
prolly have a mouse driver menu too.

goto : http://www.freedos.org/

get emm386 over there where it's free...
along with anything else you need.

then nobody will be able to complain.

-scheherazade

Thnx, I had issues with Freedos running privateer properly tho, thats why I used Win98 DOS with a handfull of Freedos progs. I'll give it a second try since someone was willing to vouch for it.

scheherazade0xf said:
eh'... lets not be nazis here guys...

i find it amazing that this is an issue considering this very site has contraband on it...

using the same logic i heard about the files hosted here, 'no one will bother us blah blah, if they cared they woulda said something by now blah blah', i doubt anyone would bother anyone else over a boot cd, given that you can google boot disks and get a zillion of them.
This isn't about a stupid bootdisk. The full Privateer game is in there and our no-warez policy is pretty clear. If we're hosting something that you think is warez, then please e-mail the staff at news@wcnews.com. We'd be happy to tell you why you're wrong.

privateer help

Hi there,
ages ago i had a good ol 486 up and running fine on this game. Then the pc died. I got a newer one that had w95 on it and never got it running. gave up. Recently i purchased a used 200 mhz machine with no OS or drive on it. I took an old 130 mg drive i had laying around,put my dos 6.22 on it and my w 3.1. i have the dos mem managed it appears (600 k free) and the xms looks good too. Running standard auto exec and config but keep coming up with an error code of EA01-FFFF
then jemm unloads.
Has a mem thing on near, high and far above this line..Where do I go to get info on these eror codes so I know what to fix... I don't know if this MS code or Origins... Can somebody help me...I have played a lot of games but this one is special to me as i never got to finish it...
Thanks

Back