boarding

upyr1

Spaceman
Hi,
Not knowing how to realy read code right now I was woundering how dificult would be to alter the game so that you could either beam or lead a team of mercenaries to board nd capture capitol ships? It would be good to march through one of the vessiles and fight of a random amount of guards then take it over.
-upyr1

I am just guessing here. But that would be WAY outside the scope of this project. Your talking about adding a FPS engine to Vegastrike. From what I know of the FOSS FPS engines is not many would be up to this task without a LOT of work. I am not sure about the possability of using the Quake engine as the sorce was opened, but I am unsure of the licence (you may need a licenced copy of the game to play any mods), other possable engines are Cube, Sauerbraten, openFrag, or possably the Existence engine.

Now all that is left is to learn to code, model interiors, have a bunch of fights about ship physics, gravity, how much/little, inertial compinsators effects during manuvers, ship security, etc... and then intergrate it all into the vegastrike trunk. Just so you all dont have to I'll start holding my breath right now. Maybe we could licence the Duke Nukem Forever engine while we are at it.

Sorry upyr1 I'm not picking on you personally. Im sure a lot of us have thought of the same thing and have come to the same conclusions.

Did you read what he said?

Adding that feature wouldn't be a "3rd party addon", it would be a whole new game, and probably more work than making Vega Strike

Mace Griffin also does it.. but none of the games that do both, do both very well. Unreal Champ 2004 has a passable space combat engine, and at one point they talked about adding FPS elements to Starlancer 2.

Are the games you are talking about open or closed source?
Since the privateer remake is open sourced there icould be a lot of potiental development that outherwise be impossible. I don't know how to program so I can't read the source code and state if it is possible or not to add the FPS engine. If there is no way we can
with out sever techincal problems this thread will be moot- I would need some one who can program to sstate this. ypu have mentioned other games have had tried this but didn't do to well, why did they fail in your view? IMHO unless you can code and know it is imposible when it comes to open source projects beleive some one can do it and would do it if there is interest. May be I am a little optimistic here but I hope some one out there reading this thread will prove you ney sayers wrong.

upyr1 said:
Are the games you are talking about open or closed source?
Since the privateer remake is open sourced there icould be a lot of potiental development that outherwise be impossible. I don't know how to program so I can't read the source code and state if it is possible or not to add the FPS engine. If there is no way we can
with out sever techincal problems this thread will be moot- I would need some one who can program to sstate this. ypu have mentioned other games have had tried this but didn't do to well, why did they fail in your view? IMHO unless you can code and know it is imposible when it comes to open source projects beleive some one can do it and would do it if there is interest. May be I am a little optimistic here but I hope some one out there reading this thread will prove you ney sayers wrong.

It's not a matter of understanding coding, you seem to lack a basic understanding on the scope of what you're asking for. Of course some people could make an FPS game from scratch, but it would be an entire undertaking, not some "thrid party addon." The people here have worked for years to put together a space combat game, but the people here aren't FPS programmers and I really don't think a few more years of development to add the boarding aspect is something any coder here wants to touch at all. While they're at it, maybe they could make a full featured baseball game that you can participate in when you're on the planets.

Satori said:
Battlecruiser 3000 AD, the most riddculouly over-hyped game ever.

Groan. Now you actually made me go and look what I was thinking of: It's Battlecruiser Generations, official title "Universal Combat". To say the least, it's a very Smart game.

But apart from the noble notion of incorporating flight/space sim, FPS, sports, micromanagement and strategy into one platform, I'd only ask: What kind of story would that be?
To play a character who commands a vessel or station, jumps into his fighter, runs around with a rifle in his hand, winning the war and saving the universe by having to do every single darn job alone... - that would really be a bit much. I like the WC games because the characters show their personality by displaying and challenging their limits. Suddenly playing a Duke Nukem-character wouldn't fit.

Agreed with -- Wing Commander was a powerful story because Blair, while being somewhat over the top, was a human being -- OK, a human being who happened to be particularly good at flying. In fact the one bit I didn't like about Wing IV was the Axius incursion, having Blair orbit the station and keep up the charade long enough to pick up a video of Tolwyn playing Hitler would have been better. Same reason why I didn't like the movie -- the whole Pilgrim thing. Dude, we already had one Luke Skywalker...

One thing we are trying to make clear in Wing Commander Universe is that THE PLAYER IS NOT BLAIR. No blowing up Kilrah on your own. You can probably fly there and back if you're smart (and make a lot of money selling catnip :p ) and you probably can make some difference in the war if you decide to take your hard earned money and hire a bunch of wingmen and do an incursion on a Kat strike fleet, but that's it.

hi,
I see why the combo stunk in Battlecrusier. The main reason that I wanted to see boarding was becuse I thought it would be cool to make a fast buck by selling a captured ship. If you absolutly don't want the FPS becuse of the risk of it ruining the game then I would be happy with just the following having aweapon designed to disable a ship and being able to higher a squad of mercenaries who ride in your cargo bay who you can order to fly out to board a ship. We could make this a little bit dificult by first having the disabler being an item that you realy have to be looking for in order to find as such a device I would imagine would only be available to confed and militia forces. Then with boarding there would be obviolsy the follwoing out comes
1. the mercs are whiped out
2. can't capure the ship but wind up destroying it
3. capture it destory it (and take cargo)
4. capture and fly the ship and sell it at the nearist planet (and rip you off)
5. capture it take their pay and leave you get the ship.
I imagine this would require a captiol ship.
-Upyr1

I like that idea. Few in their right mind would take out the enemy solo, but having your "mercs" or "crew" fly over to hijack the enemy ship is reasonable, with a random chance of success, failure, etc. At most, I think a "boarding mode" similar to your dinky little ejection pod would be reasonable. You bail out, fly to your target, gun down the bailed-out enemy crew or if the devs really are nice fly through a non-interactive interior of the enemy ship gunning down crew, with no gravity or manuvering since the ship is disabled. Either way it goes, you stand a high chance of getting your head handed to you.

A while back, there was a group doing a Marines mod for something. That's dead of course, but IMO the best way to create WC FPS. Something similar to Counter-Strike (largely objective based and no-respawn, with very lethal weapons) would probably be the most entertaining, with the ability to turn reswpan on and throw into massive unending ground battles, Battlefield style. Actually... custom maps for Battlefield with zero reinforcements would probably be the ticket for smaller engagements, and there's already support for large ships as destroyable, mobile, armed spawn points...

hi,
flying through a ship in the escape pod was more of what I was thinking about at first
sice the gravity would be diabled.

ChrisReid said:
It's not a matter of understanding coding, you seem to lack a basic understanding on the scope of what you're asking for. Of course some people could make an FPS game from scratch, but it would be an entire undertaking, not some "thrid party addon." The people here have worked for years to put together a space combat game, but the people here aren't FPS programmers and I really don't think a few more years of development to add the boarding aspect is something any coder here wants to touch at all. While they're at it, maybe they could make a full featured baseball game that you can participate in when you're on the planets.

hi,
I don't htink I lack an understanding, I thinkyou may lack the understanding of the possiblites of open source
techinicaly it is a matter of what licences this game is using andwaht licesnes the FPS engines available use and how hard is it to graft one on? As I rememeber this is realsed under the CNU licences meaning coders can read the source all ready and do as they want. Now the e next question is what GNU FPS engines are available? If the ansewer is none and there is no way to modify the code then you can say the request is flat out silly and impossible or you can say it would be a bad idea game play wise which going alone may be.

Back