Blair, Maverick?

Yup, we actually did a frame by frame look at the Knight scene that proved he reached for his d-cord and that it cut away with time for him to have ejected.

one thing that bugged me over everything else..

in the duel between the capships, you see them loading up torps to tubes on the side of the claw..

paladin yells "give them the broadside!!!!"

he should have finished his sentence with "AAAAARRRRGGHHH"

i was referring to the tiger's claw entering battle like a wooden sailship with cannons, not to paladins background.

Mace said:
i was referring to the tiger's claw entering battle like a wooden sailship with cannons, not to paladins background.
My Bad, sorry mace. Yeah I did kinda like the whole Broadside attack, all at once, all guns blazing, thats awesome. I also liked the appearance of the Skipper Missile from WC3... though I think we all did a better Job of taking it out huh?

We have to imagine that actual Space Force pilots don't have the brains to manually target a cloaked object that hasn't changed velocity since it cloaked.

Or that the fighters' targetting system cannot predict where the cloaked object will be given its velocity or change thereof at time of cloak.

Nomad Terror said:
We have to imagine that actual Space Force pilots don't have the brains to manually target a cloaked object that hasn't changed velocity since it cloaked.

Or that the fighters' targetting system cannot predict where the cloaked object will be given its velocity or change thereof at time of cloak.

Yeah, it's REAL easy to predict where a target is, given 720 degrees of freedom to move in. Especially given that his velocity can change as soon as he cloaks, or that his target can change vectors after getting a new lock on said target, it's REAL easy to target that missile. And to hit such a small target, to boot, from several hundred meters away.

Even ITTS failed for me some 30% of the time, and that was with a target that we could SEE.

the Skipper missile does not change velocities under normal operating circumstances without first decloaking temporarily to regain target acquisition and make necessary course corrections

F4U Corsair said:
I also liked the appearance of the Skipper Missile from WC3... though I think we all did a better Job of taking it out huh?

In Angel's defense I don't remember them having as big of a blast radius as they did in the movie an shooting a target wile cloaked is never easy

Mostly the reason that alot of the movie did not look and feel like the game was pretty much due to the copyrights owned by EA. He could not include alot of the copyrighted material. Tiger Claw instead of Tigers Claw, the rapiers didnt even come into play until later in the war, not the begining. Another huge factor was budget, Chris didnt really have a lot to work with, and for some reason his "vision" of making the game into an actual movie was a feel of old WW2 Submarine warfare.

Personally, I thought WC4 was directed and had better screenplay, special effects and a storyline than the movie did. I loved Propehcy, although I thought it was far to easy and just did not have the "pending doom" effect that you had in the rest of the WC games. The gameplay and control was a complete 180 however, which probably what made it so much easier to navigate and control your ship.

The movie was done so horribly I dont even consider it part of the WC timeline.

Mostly the reason that alot of the movie did not look and feel like the game was pretty much due to the copyrights owned by EA. He could not include alot of the copyrighted material. Tiger Claw instead of Tigers Claw, the rapiers didnt even come into play until later in the war, not the begining.

See, ordinarily when you say something it should be a fact... or something that you somehow percieve to be a fact. This is entirely fiction - the movie license was granted by EA in the first place. (That aside, things like 'Tiger's Claw' and 'when there are Rapiers!' aren't copyrighted in the first place... whereas *Wing Commander* surely is. The idea that anyone would ever think this were true is very weird.)

Another huge factor was budget, Chris didnt really have a lot to work with

Three (plus) times as much as WCIV for a movie a third the total length.

The special effects of WCIV are much cheaper to do, so are the sets... It's easy to make it look good on a compressed computer filme, and they didn't even did it well back then. On the WCIV DVD you can notice that it's not as good as it looks like on the game.

On a movie screen, things get much harder to do, and more expensive. But I think the results of WC are pretty good. It's understandable that someone might complain about the desing of the ships, or how the battles were done, but there was nothing wrong with the special effects themselves. They were as good as your avarege hollywood movie, which is pretty good.

I thought the *look* of the WC movie was excellent.

(WCIV used a much cheaper level of actor... but it was also filmed in California, which is a lot more expensive than filming in Luxembourg. I agree that it's generally all around cheaper - but the budget comparison is more of a point of fact in response to the masses who insist that WCIV itself would have made a fine theatrical movie.)

Sure WC IV would have made a great movie.

Help him out. Straighten him out. Help him out. Straighten him out. Help him out. Straighten him out. Help him out. Straighten him out.

I like this kid. What does this kid want from me? I like this kid. What does this kid want from me? I like this kid. What does this kid want from me? I like this kid. What does this kid want from me?

Blair would have to sit there and make a lifechanging decision with the audience's help every few minutes.

I'm sure that if they made WCIV into a movie they would've done away with the choices, and would have done something similar to the book.

I still think that WCM had some fine special effects - if you ignore the black background on Paladin's Broadsword cockpit during close-ups.

All it needs is some touch-up to take out the commonplace "digital fading" that happens from transition from big screen to small screen.

Back