Blair Looses it.

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Throughout the entire story of Wing Commander, Blair has been able to "tolerate" Maniac and somehow their friendship (if it can even be called that) has survived. Then we see something that is somewhat out of character for Blair in WC3 which, while funny, made me wonder about it.

Maniac: What did I tell you about trusting a cat? I'm just sorry Cobra had to die to get the point across.

Blair: *Takes a swing at maniac*

Maniac: Hehe temper temper, you can't afford to lose anymore wingmen.

Blair: You know for once you're right.

Maniac: Wh... I am?

Blair: I guess we'll just have to settle it out there. The next time you're on my wing, I might just rotate my turret, hey... accidents happen.

Maniac: Oooo I'm shaking, you know I got a turret too pal.

Blair: *nods* We'll see...

Then maniac gets this worried look on his face while Blair walks away. I mean given what he was dealing with at that point, I probably would have done the same thing, but after that, to then criticize Casey for attacking Maniac in WCP just seems somewhat hypocritical?

Firstly, Blair lost his temper, he didn't "loose" anything. :(

Secondly, remember that the Commdore Blair of 2681 is probably a much wiser man than the Colonel Blair of 2669.

Thirdly, I don't recall Blair actually taking a swing at Maniac, he just aggressively shook off the hand that Maniac had on him. Even if he did, it's certainly a big contrast from the full-on brawl that Casey appeared to have had with Maniac.

Finally, remember that Colonel Blair out-ranked Major Marshall. A rookie pilot physically assaulting a senior officer is a very Bad Thing. I think that it was very good, and fortunate for the young Casey, that Blair managed to talk Casey out of whatever severe punishment he undoubtedly deserved.

Not hypocritical at all, I think the circumstances for Blair's outburst at Maniac were much more justified.

Blair had just lost (or killed depending on the route you take) a close friend of many years, Hobbes who had defected to the Kilrathi - one of Blair's most trusted allies, turned traitor. This was hours after losing the Behemoth, during the most intensive fighting of the war - and humanity was looking down the barrel of defeat.

Casey on the other hand had lost a wingman during a skirmish, yes it's harsh, and Maniac was out of line with his ridicule - but the circumstannces just don't compare.

Finally, remember that Colonel Blair out-ranked Major Marshall. A rookie pilot physically assaulting a senior officer is a very Bad Thing. I think that it was very good, and fortunate for the young Casey, that Blair managed to talk Casey out of whatever severe punishment he undoubtedly deserved.

Hmm... good point. I didn't think of that.

Firstly, Blair lost his temper, he didn't "loose" anything. :(

Secondly, remember that the Commdore Blair of 2681 is probably a much wiser man than the Colonel Blair of 2669.

Thirdly, I don't recall Blair actually taking a swing at Maniac, he just aggressively shook off the hand that Maniac had on him. Even if he did, it's certainly a big contrast from the full-on brawl that Casey appeared to have had with Maniac.

Come to think about it, that must have been some talk Blair had with the CAG. Considering that "She's a hard as they come", that's a pretty heavy brush-off in being "...ready to chalk it up to severe anxiety and stress".

Come to think about it, that must have been some talk Blair had with the CAG. Considering that "She's a hard as they come", that's a pretty heavy brush-off in being "...ready to chalk it up to severe anxiety and stress".

Well keep in mind she also knew what Maniac was like, SHE probably let Blair talk to Casey and went and screamed at Marshall herself.

The thing that should *really* bother you about that conversation is the fact that the turrets are manned by gun crews...

Mmm, something hard to remember when the player has control over the turrets if he/she chooses to. WC2 was pretty good in making a point that the turrets are manned through the dialogue, but it's not clear at all in WC3...

Theres also some software or something that can control a turret. I think Pliers installed it on Blairs Thunderbolt in the WC4 novel, its been almost a decade since I read it :(

Mmm, something hard to remember when the player has control over the turrets if he/she chooses to. WC2 was pretty good in making a point that the turrets are manned through the dialogue, but it's not clear at all in WC3...

It was even less clear when you see Hobbes' turret firing if you chose to go after him. Though I believe this was explained at some point.

It was even less clear when you see Hobbes' turret firing if you chose to go after him. Though I believe this was explained at some point.

It was either Victory Streak or Star*Soldier that made reference to a pilot who was a terror in his bomber, working both the turret and the main flight controls as needed. Hobbes was flying with his hands and gunning for you with his feet, using a conveniently placed rearview mirror. Guy's terrifying that way.

It was either Victory Streak or Star*Soldier that made reference to a pilot who was a terror in his bomber, working both the turret and the main flight controls as needed.

It's Victory Streak, referring to one of the Kilrathi Aces - Vaktoth pilot Kramm 'Deathfang' nar Caxki, I think it refers to him being a deadly shot from his rear turret. Going back to WC2, I always used to wonder what happened to your gunnery crew if you bail out of a Broadsword - I'd guess they got flung clear too.

I can't recall where I saw it - maybe the Academy TV show? - but I think the turret pods get ejected along with the cockpit when the pilot yanks the cord.

The thing that should *really* bother you about that conversation is the fact that the turrets are manned by gun crews...

Yeah, that's come to mind a couple of times. Obviously it's an empty threat, but one that Blair probably thought he could use while still showing his anger.

Back