Black screen when launching game.

ClayPigeon

Spaceman
I'm having a problem getting privateer to run. I launch the game from the start menu and it goes to a black screen and acts like its going to load, and then it just sits there. I've let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it doesn't do anything. I've also updated my video drivers and tried using different settings under the privateer setup and it still just sits there at a black screen. If anyone could think of any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I really want to play this game again.

I have an AMD Athlon 1.3 ghz 512mb ddr ram with a geforce fx 5200

have you tried disabling your internet firewall or windowed mode?
do you have the 66xx drivers from nvidia (the 71xx crash randomly)

No progress

Well I have windows 98 se, and I'm not completely sure how to disable any firewall settings it may have. However I did try your pierce firewall setting and that didn't seem to help, and yes I'm running 66xx drivers. I noticed that after I click on privateer from the startup menu that it will go to the black screen and the hard drive light will flash like its trying to load and then it will just sit there and blink every so often. I hit ctrl-alt-del after a little while and it didn't say that vegastrike was not responding, so I don't think its locking up.

Windowed mode

If you mean running the game fullscreen under the privateer setup then yes, otherwise I don't know how to disable windowed mode.

98SE doesn't come with a native firewall. Unless you're using a 3rd-party firewall like ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall, ect, the pierce firewall settings won't help you much.
PR juggles a lot of files around as it loads, and a heavily fragmented drive can slow the loading down bigtime. Try running defrag.

Back