Big Time Problems with Prophecy and SO

Triple-B

Rear Admiral
Hi folks,

I was just experimenting with the enhanced star field patch in secret ops. somehow it did not work anymore.

than I busted my prophecy somehow,that I had to uninstall it. I kept the savegames.

After I installed it, I updated it with the High res pack of hcl, togehter with the dvd vids.

Prophecy only shows me software and direct 3d in the launcher, no more glide.

the hcl start page does not come up also. after i hit "install" ( the one of hcl) to determine glide mode, some files are being extracet and "install" says that I can run prophecy now.

if i do so, an error occurs that glide2x.dll cannot be found

again, there is no hcl start page and only software and direct 3d modes are available? do i need the glide wrapper?

why is there no glide anymore?

I can run the game only in D3D. the savegames and the history that i kept are not being used by prophecy. i need to start the game from the beginning..

what is going on here???

EDIT: I fixed this issue WITH PROPHECY. somehow you always need the glide wrapper to be installed for glide option. okay.

the savegame could be retrieeved by "changing pilots" *duh*

secret ops PROBLEM REMAINS:

glide wrapper is installed, hcls high res patch too.

when i try to start the game, secret ops backfires me to windows with a message:

"secret ops encountered a problem and must be ended"

there is a long textfile to be found under details, and it is saved in the temp folder. however i cannot copy the textfile..

I had these problems before, the solution was playing around with the grapihc hardware speed of nvidia. somehow this does not work anymore. i installed the newest nividia drivers a couple of weeks ago, for advanced graphics in standoff. is this maybe the problem?

it does not matter, if i choose software, direct 3d or 3dfx. the game always throws me back to windows

the option in so is 3dfx glide or direct 3d , the option in prophecy is open gl beta, 3dfx glide or direct 3d. i don't know if this info helps. compatibility modes never worked for me either.

I have found a textfile in the so folder called "_GR2GL.TXT.

it reads: Beginning Glide2 log
grab_extensions failed, missing the minimum set of common GL extensions

prophecy does not make these problems, it runs smooth now.

system: core 2 duo, nividia 8800 gt

Sounds like you didn't set the compatibility setting on the EXE. You must right-clic on the EXE, "Properties", "Compatibility" tab, check compatibility mode and select "Win95" on PROPHECY.EXE, SECRETOPS.EXE, SETUP.EXE and LAUNCHER.EXE.

ok, I uninstalled SO and installed it again, during the install routine I checked Win95 mode from the installation cd.

after the game was installed, I checked secretops.exe, launcher.exe, setup.exe and uninstall.exe in win 95 mode.

then I installed HCLs HI RES Patch.

I checked back, if the exe files were still on win95 mode. they were.

i tried to launch the game and got backfired to windows again.

like i said. this is not the solution :(

EDIT: prophecy is running on my machine without compatibility mode

What kind of PC are you running it on again? Can you post your specs, OS, etc?

system: core 2 duo, nividia 8800 gt , 2 gbyte ram, win xp

I installed like i said the glide wrapper together with hcl high res patch. glide wrapper is needed to gain 3dfx.

AGAIN: COMPATIBILITY MODE HAS NO EFFECT

thanks to everybody who helps

this is exactly the screen I get, after running WCSO in 1024*768 in glide. when opening the error text file i notice severall error messages ( see red box). there are probably more of them, unfortunately i cannot find the txt file in the temp folder

Attachments

• wcso error.jpg
    wcso error.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 56
  • wcso error 2.jpg
    wcso error 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 56
this is exactly the screen I get, after running WCSO in 1024*768 in glide. when opening the error text file i notice severall error messages ( see red box). there are probably more of them, unfortunately i cannot find the txt file in the temp folder

Does the game run without installing the highres patch? What about in D3D or openGL modes? Do you need to change some settings in the glide wrapper to make this work?

I suggest taking this one step at a time. That way we can narrow down exactly what is affecting this. If the game works fine without the high res patch in OpenGL and D3D, it's most likely not the patch that's the issue. The game won't run in glide mode without the glide wrapper. If it still crashes in OpenGL or or d3D we know it's not the glide wrapper. If the game works in both OpenGL or D3D though with the high res patch but not in glide mode than I would look to the glide wrapper as the culprit. If it starts crashing immediately after installing the patch in all modes than it's an issue with the patch.

1.) the game does not run without and with the high res patch ( same result)

2.) D3D and open Gl and software mode causes all the backfire to windows ( no difference)

3.) I tried to play around in the wrapper, but with no effect. ( before, when SO worked. I did not touch the wrapper at all

I experimented with the sound acceleration in dxdiag, with no effect.

I even played around with the hardware acceleration of the graphics card with no effect.

btw: I installed the newest nividia drivers, can this be the problem?

I don't know if this is so easy, reverting the drivers..

But it still if this is the reason for my problem, other players must have had the same problems after installing the newest nividia drivers

edit: I just installed standoff one more time and it runs perfectly ( no compatibility mode enabled)

maybe some standoff programmers can see a "gap" here?

You could give this alternate installer that Pete recently made a try. Instead of the original highres patch in includes the alternate OpenGL patch that gives you the extra glide effects anyway plus some other enhancements developed with standoff: http://download.wcnews.com/files/so/secretopsfull-enhanced.exe.

It comes with it's own installer and you can try it without any compatability modes to start with.

I tried the enhanced installer.

same result.

then I reseted my system (played back an image data). I got a clean win xp now with the old nvidia drivers. I tried to install again, and checked with compatbility modes on and off. again it did not worked :(

again, standoff works perfect ( without compatibility)

whats going on here? this is so absurd

edit: the enhanced installer of secret ops does not overtake the deactivation of the compatibility mode. everytime I uncheck the win 95 mode and apply to it, the box is checked the nex time I open the compatibility tab again

maybe popsicle pete can help me?

i have extracted the error code

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 65 63 ure sec
0018: 72 65 74 6f 70 73 2e 65 retops.e
0020: 78 65 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 xe 0.0.0
0028: 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 73 65 .0 in se
0030: 63 72 65 74 6f 70 73 2e cretops.
0038: 65 78 65 20 30 2e 30 2e exe 0.0.
0040: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0050: 30 62 32 33 66 39 0d 0a 0b23f9..

maybe someone knows what to do?

Well, I am still trying to figure out what is going on with your setup. More informations would be welcome. What exact steps did you take to install, for example ? Did you just install straight from my installer and clicked "play" or did you make some extra steps too ? Are you copying, renaming or moving files ? Are you running the game in the folder it was originally installed to ? Do you have admin rights on your PC ?

thanks you are still there pete :)

i ran your enhanced installer by simply clicking on the exe file. I installed everything from it and afterwards simply tried to run the secretops.exe ( with compatibility mode set to win95 by default)

after that i tried to unchecked the compatibility mode in secret ops.exe. when checking back in the secretops.exe, however the combatibility mode was still checked. so i think, windows does not overtake this unchecking. however i can uncheck the compatibility mode in the secret ops shortcut.

so i tried to run it without the compatiblity mode in the shortcut, again with no luck

i did not rename or copy anything, concerning your secret ops version

i tried to install it in the original folder ( given by default in your installer) and also tried to install in custom folder.

I have full rights on my pc, so if you need any infos we could look it up.

I can only repeat, standoff works. so maybe i need a little sort of " standoff patch for secret ops"

as far as it goes for the original version:

-I tried it so far in all graphic modes ( with and without the glide wrapper, with and without the hi res patch)

- I tried to fool around with the hardware accelartion speed
- I tried to fool arount with sound accleration speed in dxdiag
- I tried to change the resolution, tried to change to 16 bit and 32 bit color

nothing worked

installed and uninstalled secret ops maybe 150 times now

edit: I updated to the newest nvidia drivers now again

I found something funny out:

If I use compatbility mode on standoff, I get same error like in secret ops. when I uncheck the compatiblilty mode for standoff it runs again

Just found out, that Unknown enemy causes the same problem as secret ops :(

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 63 75 ure wcu
0018: 65 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e e.exe 0.
0020: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in
0028: 20 77 63 75 65 2e 65 78 wcue.ex
0030: 65 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e e 0.0.0.
0038: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0040: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 62 set 000b23f9..
0048: 32 33 66 39 0d 0a

When you reverted your nvidia drivers, how far back are we talking about? is it possible you didn't roll the drivers back far enough?

the drivers were from january 2008, I believe these were some of the first drivers for the nvidia 8800 GT

maybe there is something with the registry?

Back