Bidding is hard me thinks...

Bandit LOAF said:
I have... several hundred... WCU Maps... Boomer sent them to me... I'm not sure why.

Because, despite often seeming somewhat confused, Boomer is great.

Huzzah! I won the soundtrack for WC:p today on eBay for a mere $4.25! And that includes S&H!

I use the service located at www.esnipe.com

Work 100% of the time for me, as long as I am still the highest bidder. It automatically bids on my behalf at the last 1 or 2 seconds. A server will outbeat a human any day of the week. It is kind of cheating and Ebay will continue to keep changing its bidding process to prevent these things from working but ESnipe quickly updates their code to make it work. I think the cost is like 1% of the end price. So in order to win a Kilrathi Saga, it might cost you and extra buck or two. I am just not willing to pay $150+ for a computer game.

On a different note, I've never seen nor heard of the Wing Commander 4 DVD. I have the 6 CD version but I do have a DVD recorder. Can I just take all 6 discs and make a single DVD out of them or is the files structure not supportive of that? Is the DVD as hard to get as Kilrathi Saga?

Wing Commander 4 DVD (the good one, at least) has high quality .VOB video files... they look like regular DVD video rather than the ultra compressed Xanencoded ones on the original WCIV(/WCIVMac/WCIVPSX/WCIVWin95/etc.).

There's two versions of the WC4 DVD.. One is a one-sided version, that just has all the six discs put onto one, with very little (if any) improvement in quality. Then there's the two-sided DVD version, with the high-quality .VOB files Loaf mentioned. Both of them aren't that hard to come by on eBay, but just make sure you're getting the correct one.

You can look up "WC4 DVD" in the forum's search engine.. there are a few threads about it. But the two-sided DVD was meant to be played with a specific DVD decoder that it was packaged with it. I actually have that game and play it on WinXP. The game plays fine, and the video plays fine until you come to a decision. You should know that I can't seem to play the video files outside of the game without downloading a special DVD software (Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and the rest that I always use don't recognize the files).

Bandit LOAF said:
I have... several hundred... WCU Maps... Boomer sent them to me... I'm not sure why. I'm happy to send them out to people who want them.

Loaf, you Promised me TWO YEARS AGO to send me a couple of those maps. And I'm still waiting for them LOL LOL

Another way to pick up KS Saga is to get it the way I did. Look for people who are selling video games in lots.

For $80, I ended up getting a complete mint KS, along with 3 Xerox paper sized boxes full of video games LOL LOL Was kind of funny, because the guy only charged me $10 for shipping (he BIG TIME miscalculated the cost).

Now here's the really funny part. 2 weeks after I had finally gotten all my stuff, I got an e-mail from him. Apparently he had started seeing just how much some of the games in his lot sold for seperately (Mainly KS), and wanted me to send it all back and he'd refund the $80! Said he had no ieda that computer games could be worth so much, and he wanted to resell them seperately.

I told him he was nuts, and no way. I bought it, paid, and he sent. Can't have it back. LOL Moron filed with Ebay, who in turn told him what I had... you're nuts LOL

Oh, wow, can't believe I forgot (I don't remember forgetting, if that helps?). Drop me your address and I'll send some out.

(Similar but less crazy story: I once found a Chinese Wing Commander Academy on eBay... in a lot with one hundred other Chinese computer games. All 5.25" disk games in their original packages. Nobody in their right mind wanted it, so it was mine for something like $20. It took me three years of constantly offering anyone who visited my house free Chinese computer games to get rid of them all. I may still have a box of them somewhere.)

Tannim said:
Another way to pick up KS Saga is to get it the way I did. Look for people who are selling video games in lots.

Good point. I was visiting everyone's favorite auction site about a month ago and found an auction for something like 40 PC games in one lot. Included was a nice copy of KS. The whole lot ended up going for right around $130.00.

TheRedDuke said:
Is that WCU rolled map the same print as the one that was packaged with WCP and WCP Gold?

It's probably not the same as the map that came with WCP Gold. ;)

But yes, it's the same map, AFAIK.

P.S. Speaking of buying games in lots, apparently you can get some games much more cheaply on eBay if you buy them in conjunction with a lot of other crap. I got my WC4 DVD that way. The problem is, now I have all these CDs of junky games that I have no intention of playing, yet I never throw anything away, on the principle that I might be curious about it later (damn packratism...). After I won the auction, I offered to let the guy just keep the other games, and that all I wanted was the WC4 DVD, but he insisted on sending everything, since it was already sealed up in a cardboard box.

w00t. I received the soundtrack to Wing Commander: Prophecy yesterday afternoon. Good stuff, especially when playing FPS to it. Kicking my roommate's ass at Doom never sounded so good.

Back