Bidding is hard me thinks...

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Well this is the third time I've tried bidding for the Kilrathi Saga. I've not much strategy for bidding. I don't mind going fairly high, but the reason I lost it today was I had to go to work when there was like two hours left on it. Is any other way in this world to get the Kilrathi Saga not via Ebay?

What you've gotta do is set a bid limit. I'm not exactly sure what it's called, but what it does is bid for you. For example... let's say that the current bid is for $15. If you set a maximum bid limit for $50, then the site will automatically bid you for the next bid at $16, if someone bids higher, then it'll put you a dollar above them, up to $50. If someone bids over $50 dollars, than you have to set another one, so if you're really desparate, set it as high as you'd be willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay more, though, you're just out of luck.

Yes, that is called "incremental bidding", which ebay does that automatically if you set your bid limit high enough.

Right...

Yeah, I know how to do the maximum bid and all that. So in the end it really is just how much you're willing to pay. But still no advice on anywhere else I can get it?

What you want to do is snipe the auction - wait until there's thirty seconds left (or less, with practice), and *then* bid. Auctions aren't decided nine days in advance - you have to wait until the specific time they end to do your bidding.

Shipgate said:
Yeah, I know how to do the maximum bid and all that. So in the end it really is just how much you're willing to pay. But still no advice on anywhere else I can get it?

You could try putting an ad in the wanted section of your local newspaper. Maybe check out flea markets or even pawn shops. I bought two KS copies, one from ebay and found one via the news paper ad method.

(no I wont sell either of em, mostly cuz one of em is mine, the other was given as a gift to my brother's son)

Bandit LOAF said:
What you want to do is snipe the auction - wait until there's thirty seconds left (or less, with practice), and *then* bid. Auctions aren't decided nine days in advance - you have to wait until the specific time they end to do your bidding.

See, that's what incremental bidding is supposed to stop. No one knows how high your bid limit is, so even if you snipe, and someone has a bid limit higher than your snipe, they still get the product, cause E-bay will automatically bid higher than your snipe.

It's a nice idea, but it doesn't work in practice - because the vast majority of people don't use that system or aren't interested in the item enough to bid over whatever is being bid at the last minute.

Bandit LOAF said:

Yeah some buyers ask for the seller to end the auction before the last moment to avoid this. It's amazing how it can get hot on the last moments.

Ebay doesn't operate in Brazil, but it kind of owns Mercadolivre.com.br.

I've won every auction I've ever bid on by sniping. Actually, I've only lost three. One for Kilrathi Saga and two for a Sega CDX; both because they went way above what I was willing to pay.

I don't wait 'til the last 30 seconds. I wait until the last 5 minutes. I make my bid, and then I open a duplicate window, one that will be set to bid if I should be outbid. Then I just keep refreshing the first window, and boom, I win. I've only lost once with this method, and won at least 20 times.

I just love eBay...you can get the kickass soundtrack to the WC movie for dirt cheap, although it's hard as all hell to find the Prophecy soundtrack. *shakes fist*

Jacob said:
I just love eBay...you can get the kickass soundtrack to the WC movie for dirt cheap, although it's hard as all hell to find the Prophecy soundtrack. *shakes fist*

Dang, I've seen a bunch of them back at the music stores back home. Too bad I'm at school, or I'd be willing to pick up one for you. Half.com is pretty good, though.

Back