Better than Moslo? (WC1&2)

Icestorm

Spaceman
Is there anything that will slow down the old, non KS versions of WC 1 & 2 that works better than Moslo? I'm not too thrilled with the results I get with Moslo.

Actually I haven't really tried with WC1 yet, but I've never really thought Moslo was that great when using it with other old games. It always seems "choppy" to me whenever I use it, like it's not quite at a constant speed.

WC2, the movies/cutscenes play a little too fast, even with Moslo at 0.1%, and while the gameplay is fine without Moslo, with Moslo it's not "right" it's got that "choppiness" I mentioned. And I don't want to play without the story scenes, so not using a utility is straight out.

If it matters, I've got a 1GHz Athlon processor, I run Win98, and I have tried it both in regular 98 and rebooting to just DOS (version 7, the one 98 runs on top of).

If there's any other slow down utility that you think is better, please, let me know. Thanks!

(Thank goodness WC3 and 4 seem to work fine, and Prophecy is okay as long as I switch to my SB 16 instead of my Live!)

Have you tried disabling your cache memory in the BIOS? That usually helps too.

(just be sure to re-enable it when you´re done playing)

Thanks for the tips.

I did try the old version of WC1 since I last posted, and it is totally unplayable, even with MoSlo at the max setting. I would try that cache thing, but I did something and mucked up my installation, so I have to reinstall the game to try anything else, and I don't want to deal with the floppies at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though!

XIII, could you just give the names of the freeware ones you were thinking of? I'm sure with just the names I could probably track them down myself, even if they're on sites you can't post here. (If it's not allowed to even post the names of them here, I apologize to the forum mods and admins for asking, but if they're really freeware I don't see the harm, even if they're found on "bad" sites.)

Actually, if you don't mind mouths moving really fast, you should be fine playing WC2... the text changes at a normal rate, even though the 'acting' is somewhat insane... So you can more than understand the story.

Icestorm, look for :

- turbo (not Turbo Pascal of course ;) )
- cpulower

There's also CPUkiller, but it's a shareware.

Hope this helps.

I've had similar problems with Moslo, the choppy performance that is. Currently I cant seem to get it to work at all as my DOS computer resets itself whenever I try to use it.

You know you can change the speed at which the talking heads, erm, talk by pressing one to four, with one being the fastest. Sorry if you all already knew that, but you didn’t imply that you did. Mind you I’m not sure if it would slow it down that much on a really fast system.

On a related note I never really noticed how good the lip-syncing in Wing Commander is untill recently. It really is quite impressive. Its just a shame that it wasnt quite so in other origin games where the talking heads actually talked...

Back