Best Way to Sell Old WC Games

theYipster

Spaceman
Folks,

Just discovered this forum, and I must say it's great to see that there is still an active community discussing Wing Commander today. WC was a very big part of my life growing up. Today, I can credit the series for kick-starting a passion with computers that is still central to my life 20 years later. I owned every game in the series, and I distinctly remember each and every time a new Wing Commander game would necessitate a major computer upgrade (including Wing Commander III, which outright necessitated a new computer.) Of the main series, Wing Commander II was my favorite (although Wing Commander IV is right up there.) Of everything included, my favorite was absolutely Privateer (still one of the most memorable gaming experience I've had.)

Despite the great time I had with these games as a young'in, they were very much part of an earlier time of my life. Right now the few games of the series I still have in my possession have been collecting dust for years and years. As part of a general closet-cleaning effort I'm undertaking, I'm hoping to sell my remaining WC games (along with PC equipment not nearly as old.) Given how old (and apparently how rare) some of these games are, I haven't the foggiest clue as to where to sell or how to go about the process. I'm hoping I've come to the right place for advice.

The games I have include: Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga, Privateer 2, and a DVD edition of Wing Commander IV. All of these games look like they're in great shape (disc-wise) and all but WC4 (which was included as a pack-in for one of the very first DVD-ROM drives in 1997) are contained in their original packaging with all manuals, brochures, and the like.

Looking at eBay I was astounded by how much the Kilrathi Saga package is going for, but I wonder how often those boxes sell. As I don't have an eBay account, I'm hoping there is an alternative way to sell the games (such as through forums, utilizing HeatWare.) It would be great if this forum had a FS/FT thread, but it appears from looking at the FAQ and forum rules that there isn't even a mention of selling or not-selling WC games. In any case, is eBay the best place to sell? Are there alternatives (I figure this forum is my best shot to ask given its subject matter?) Are the prices I'm seeing for these games on eBay realistic, or inflated? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, and again, if anyone is looking for one of these three games (although I assume most everyone here already has them,) let me know.

Hey! Always good to see a friendly ship!

I think a good place to start is here. Simply stating you have those items available might spark someone's interest. The price for KS is inflated (and not really necessary since DOSBox makes the DOS versions easier to setup and play).

I'm sure there is a user or two looking for Priv2 or WC4 DVD.

Looking at eBay I was astounded by how much the Kilrathi Saga package is going for, but I wonder how often those boxes sell. As I don't have an eBay account, I'm hoping there is an alternative way to sell the games (such as through forums, utilizing HeatWare.) It would be great if this forum had a FS/FT thread, but it appears from looking at the FAQ and forum rules that there isn't even a mention of selling or not-selling WC games. In any case, is eBay the best place to sell?

There's a couple reasons why we don't have a forum like that here.

To the vast majority of our members, Wing Commander products just aren't things that they'd sell or trade. The people here are the ultra-dedicated that already have all the main games and are on the lookout for rare items (and not parting with them when they find them). The next most common segment are new fans looking to build their collection, and they should go look at ebay, because most of the people here aren't trying to get rid of any Wing Commander stuff.

People who've happened by and want to sell off items are the least common. Typically, what they have to sell are the standard games that the people here already have, so ebay's their best bet. On the chance that they have something rare or valuable, the ebay audience is still going to get the most exposure/best price, so the only reason they'd sell here is dedication to the WC community, which typically doesn't sync with their desire to sell off their WC stuff... So, the market forces don't really set us up for a forum like that.

It's a bit harder to bid up to and figure out what the best price for something is on a forum, but you're welcome to mention what you have for sale and see if someone's interested.

Thanks fellas. Great information.

For anyone interested, I have:

* The complete Kilrathi Saga box set, with all CDs, manuals, posters, etc. Everything is in excellent condition except for the box, which is still in good condition.

* Privateer 2. Again, the complete package (box, manuals, etc.) All in excellent condition.

* The Wing Commander IV DVD -- this is just the DVD in a paper sleeve (which is how I received it as a pack-in to one of the very first DVD-ROM drives. )

The Wing Commander IV DVD -- this is just the DVD in a paper sleeve (which is how I received it as a pack-in to one of the very first DVD-ROM drives. )

Is this a single sided DVD or a double-sided DVD?

Yes, that's the one you want!

There are two versions -- the double sided one that has upgraded movies... and a single sided one that is just all the CDs on one disc.

Lucky duck...

By the way, I'm new here too! Lurked for years but never signed up for one reason or another. Figured I should eventually, and here I am!

Many thanks!

By the way, just how hard is it to get one's hands on a copy of WC IV DVD? The two-sided version mentioned before, that is?

It's not terribly hard, but it seems to go through phases of rarity. They pressed a million of them, though, they were included in all the early Creative Labs DVD kits. Sometimes a big pile will show up at once.

I'd budget $30-40 for it.

I found the original Wing Commander Deluxe Edition with the original box and what looks like all the paperwork. I also picked up Wing Commander II Deluxe and Privateer - CD and manual for both. I was curious how much they are worth.

Here is a picture of WC1.
Wing-2.jpg

Thanks for your help!

WC2 Deluxe is extremely common (I have literally 50+ copies), so like $5-10 there. WC1 Deluxe is somewhat less common. It can range from $10-50 depending on how complete it is and how many copies happen to be on eBay at the moment.

Back