Best Storyline

What is your favorite Wing Commander storyline?

• Wing Commander

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Wing Commander II

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Wing Commander III

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Wing Commander IV

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Wing Commander Prophecy

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Privateer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Privateer 2 - The Darkening

• Wing Commander Armada

• Total voters

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Fellow wingnuts, we've seen many polls here, mostly on favorite or least favorite ships or characters. I'm wondering what our favorite storyline is. I just finished replaying Wing Commander II, and it confirmed my belief that it has the best storyline of all the games. Part of that is that the music in WC2 is my favorite, and it adds a lot to the storyline. So I'm wondering what your favorite storyline is, and why.

I voted for Wing Commander 3 since it wraps up the Kilrathi war. There are other story elements I enjoyed, although I can understand that FMV may be a deal breaker.

II, no doubt. The storyline was so in depth for its time. Referencing random conversations from the first three games, as well as adding additional suspense, intrigue, and thickness to the plot. Don't get me wrong, I loved Heart of the Tiger, but Wing Commander II's depth still surprises me, to this day. Games just did not tell stories like that in 1991 (no game I can remember, anyway). Maybe the SNES Final Fantasy games did, but I never played those. I seem to recall a friend did, and from what I remember, it was all about fighting for the most part. WC 2's contemporaries were other side scrolling games with very little to no real plot or depth.

As I said in the Wing Commander Project:

Vengeance of the Kilrathi expanded the Wing Commander universe substantially, as well as adding elements of uncertainty, doubt, and fear into the game by using the human traitor subplot; the reveal for which is done very well, keeping you guessing as to who the traitor may be the entire time. Of course, the scripted deaths added just the right element of suspense and impending doom. Developing a relationship with Angel over the course of the game only added to the fear that "anyone can die."

I wanted to choose academy but it's not there ;)

II is imho by far the best - on replay you see the odd bit of terrible scripting (even blair and shadow's opening conversation, and especially when you then see angel for the first time, is a bit weakly written) but then again, the story is outstanding - I hadn't played wc1 before i played wc2 the first time, and admittedly I was more gutted by shadow's death than by spirits, but it was still upsetting.

I still remember being angry at blair kissing minx, i felt like i was betraying angel (and minx was ridiculously ugly!) and then the showdown with jazz - so good.

plus theres no moment in any game that can match the poker scene in wc2, the jazz music in the background and then hobbes reaches in and his claws tear the table - I loved that bit :D

I don't think Blair had any intention of kissing Minx. The look on his face in that cutscene was one of absolute suprise and i daresay revulsion. The scripting in the beginning wasn't too bad - and who could forget the first time they heard the Emperor speak to Thrakhath...

"...I wish to speak to Prince Thrakhath alone....guards you are dismissed...."

I dunno, the first conversation about the mandarins (with shadow on canaervon) feels a little stilted - as does the "i knew i was the best pilot for the job" line with angel - gets better later on mind :D

WC2 (and especially SO1) had several of best kilrathi lines ever.

But if you fail me, as I expect Khasra will... ...one of your fifteen cousins will replace you as Heir to Kilrah!

The central theme around the Wing Commander story line seems to be proving yourself as a hero. In WC1 you do it as a rookie pilot, which then gets repedative in WCP and in three it's like, let me get this straight, I'm a war hero, I helped push the Kilrathi out of Vega, I single handedly destroyed K'tithrik Mang, I worked with Covert Ops, and was injured in the Battle of Terra and I STILL have to prove myself on this old rust bucket!? What the hell!

WC2 did it right by making him look like a traitor and having him have to prove his innocence, that was the best.

Its funny - my two favorite storylines are WC2 and WC4....the first is that he's accused of being a traitor and has to prove his innocence...and the second he actually does defect in order to expose more sinister traitors.

WC2 (and especially SO1) had several of best kilrathi lines ever.

But if you fail me, as I expect Khasra will... ...one of your fifteen cousins will replace you as Heir to Kilrah!

I absolutely agree! My favourite is "Khasra! I have heard enough of Khasra!", the way the Emperor (i.e. his voice actor) says it sounds just so...powerful, I cannot describe it better. I found it to be spot on.

I voted for WC 2 but I have to say, Privateer had also a very cool storyline.

Back