Best Practices: SyQuest 44/88/200 MB Tapes

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
During my survey back in April I took note of 44, 88 and 200 meg SyQuest drives - 20 to 40 units.

I have bought a SyQuest SQ5200C drive, which is supposedly capable of reading all three formats. In addition, Dundradal has kindly donated an external drive which can read the 44 MB disks, which we can use as a backup.

My current thought is to install the drive on my Windows desktop and then use some software that will let me read Mac-format disks. Does anyone have a favorite? This list seems to be a good starting point: http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/pc2mac.html

Here's some recon from our xOrigin pals (straight from our project bible!):

Trey Hermann, on the SyQuest Drives:
“Wow, I haven't thought about a SyQuest drive in quite some time. The SyQuest drive was a magnetic media device that we used for storing data prior to learning that there was a high level of media decay associated with the magnetic system. We then switched over to CDs for all archives. I hate to be the one carrying bad news, but I suspect those SyQuest disks will be in pretty bad shape. They would begin dropping data after only six months and were not considered to be a stable, long-term archival solution. I wish the best of luck and hopefully you can pull some good stuff out of the archives!”

David Swofford, on the SyQuest Drives:
“I just walked over and spoke to our creative services mgr. He says that those things were both PC and Mac, but mostly Mac. I believe I recall that our creative services dept used those. There's probably a ton of package art and other marketing materials/art on those things. Our guy says he actually has one that's gathering dust. So you might have a seller if it comes to that. But there are different sizes. Can you tell me what size those drives are? Maybe I can get some more info on what you'll need.”

Any better suggestions? Exact practices?

My hope is that the SyQuests will be done on Day One and that that machine will then become a second 8mm tape reader.

Did you figure out that the drive I sent only reads the 44s? I got the impression from online research that it could handle all three sizes. I was hoping it would have been the all-in-one solution for the disks.

The current HFS driver for Windows is a commercial package called MacDrive.

But possibly the very first thing to do would be to use a Linux PC with it and make an image of the disk - all it takes is one "oops" to screw up the disk permanently. So grab images of the disks (using dd), then work on the images. A nice thing is that Linux has support for HFS filesystems (and HFS+, but not modern OS X HFS+Journalling. But those drives are of enough age that Linux should be able to access it via the images)

Make copies of the images and work on those, of course. That way the disk is only in the drive for the initial image creation.

Good news, boys!

We put together a dedicated SyQuest PC tonight which mounts an internal SQ5200C drive. I installed Windows XP and attempted to bit-for-bit copy a Mac-formatted tape (provided by Dundradal!) using rcopy.exe (from here: http://www.geocities.com/lc_castro/winnt.htm)

... and it worked! We got a 44 MB .IMG file which I then dumped to a USB stick. I plugged the stick into my Macbook, clicked on the image and... bammo, there's Dundradal's System 7.5 backup files.

The whole process took only a few minutes. I think SyQuests are in the bag!

Yeah!!! That means that the 20-40 of these tapes should be done in less than a day mostly depending on the sizes there are (how many 200s and so on).

Excellent.

That's great news and to think at first I wasn't going to include those old tapes! I'll make sure to pass on the good news to my dad that his drive is still functional!

The test tapes were what saved the day. It was great to be able to prove that we could read a Mac-formatted tape with a PC... eliminates all the worry for when we're on site and faced with a stack of Mac tapes.

I wish I had an Exabyte test tape right about now.

Back