Been thinking about ports of old games...

Thanks to Prophecy GBA, I've been thinking about ports and updates a lot recently. If there were to be an anthology WC box, which titles would you include?
I'd include:
Super Wing Commander
Wing Commander 2, 3, 4
Wing Commander Privateer 1,2
Wing Commander Prophecy Gold...

And I'd make it a hybrid PC, Mac, and *nix flavored release. I'd want it to sell for around $29.95 U.S. If such an anthology were to be done, how would you other WC fans want it to be done?

I'd include them all and give them out for free, just to watch all those suckers who bought KS on eBay cry like little girls.

One, the compilation needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever the compilation is not being played, all the other characters should be askined "Where's the compilation?"

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
One, the compilation needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever the compilation is not being played, all the other characters should be askined "Where's the compilation?"
I.. Hmm.
Well, I... Err...
Good God, that was so confusing I think my heads going to blow up. Please, no comments on how it would be an improvement.

So... what you basically, essentially want is for someone to re-write the code (if it even still exists) for eight of the most complex computer games (plus addons) of all time... and then sell it to you for 30 dollars?

So... what you basically, essentially want is for someone to re-write the code (if it even still exists) for eight of the most complex computer games (plus addons) of all time... and then sell it to you for 30 dollars?

How can I get in on this?

1) There's nobody around OSI who's ever actually worked with the original games, code-wise

2) Why the hell would anyone port a stupidly complicated, multigame compilation to Unix at this point. I very much doubt that the port would return on its investment

3) My ten million dollars and gold house come before this in the magical fairy wishing list.

Hell, once I get through programming school, I'll get started. I'm sure there's some way to reverse engineer it... Privateer 1, anyway... No way in heck I'd bother with the rest(and no, I'm not talking Unix. it's tough enough getting crap to run on my PC.)

Sprinkle magical fairey dust on your nose.

I have an aunt who was arrested for just that.
I never said I was thinking realisticly. I was just wondering what games others would include in the box-- what the WC cream of the crop is, let's say. That's all. I wasn't expecting or hoping for actual re-releases. Just wondering what others thought was the "Essential Wing Commander," y'know? By the by, every title except prophecy can be handled by other OSs visave emulation.

actually HCL tried to decompile priv. he couldn't even get it to recompile, without any changes to it. and with changes was even worse. priv will not be easy to port. only way to run priv on another cpu/os is running it in virtualpc which currently only runs under apple mac and windows 9x/nt/xp you'll need a 500mhz+ processor to run it nicely. if you want to run priv under unix get bochs and start adding in proper emm386 support or add qemm support. As for running the other games. Use winex. you can run Priv2, wc1-3KS and wc 4. prophecy and secretops may also work haven't been tested yet. Superwing Commander CAN run on a pc. you just need a copy of the mac version and the Baslisk II mac emulator.

I thought that was Poochy. :(

Doesn't matter, I still don't understand it.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
I have an aunt who was arrested for just that.
Huh?

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
Just wondering what others thought was the "Essential Wing Commander," y'know?
I honestly think each and every Wing Commander has it's virtues. But if I had to decide on such a thing, you can't go past WC1/2/3. Then add IV if space allows. Then Prophecy Gold. Then Privateer. Then... you get the idea.

Originally posted by Wedge009 I honestly think each and every Wing Commander has it's virtues. But if I had to decide on such a thing, you can't go past WC1/2/3. Then add IV if space allows. Then Prophecy Gold. Then Privateer. Then... you get the idea.

WTF are you talking about? All Wing Commander is essential.

i would have to say that all the WC games are good however i'm not a priveteer fan... however i have never really had the time to play it and since i don't own it, i'm not going to out and find it. I just finished playing Prophecy... i found it to be surprisingly good... better than i though.... i liked the story line and such... to this day, i still find WC 4 a little weak

Back