Battlestar Galactica

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
In one of the oddest promotional appearances ever before the TV Writers Summer Tour, Edward James Olmos, who is starring in a new Battlestar Galactica miniseries due to air on the Sci-Fi Channel, gave this advice to fans of the original Galactica series, which aired on ABC between 1978 and 1980: "Please don't watch this program," Olmos said. "Buy yourself the new DVDs that they're putting out of the old episodes, and whenever we come on, just put that one in. ... Trust me. Don't watch it. If you're a real, real staunch Battlestar Galactica person, please don't watch it."

Yeah, the new series sounds really awful. A bunch of things are going to be radically different from the original. For example, Starbuck is a woman. That just about says it all.

Starbuck can't be a woman. Than he can't be the male chauvinist womanizer we all came to know and love... :mad: I guess the guy who is producing the new series wants a female chauvinist womanizer (see: lesbo dike). :rolleyes:

Hmm, with Starbuck as a woman, I bet we will see other "liberties taken in the name of creativity".

Such as Captain Apollo as a gay cowboy in assless chaps, the main Commander is played by Catherine Zeta Jones, the Cylons are an evil race of killer tentacled squid, the Vipers look like F-18 Hornets, and the Battlestar Galactica will look like a US aircraft carrier in space.

Well, lets be honest: anyone who admits that they're a "real, real staunch Battlestar Galactica person" probably has some more serious issues to deal with. :)

The possibility of a relationship between Apollo and Starbuck greatly upsets me.

It should upset you significantly less now than it would have in 1980, though. :)

psych said:
Hmm, with Starbuck as a woman, I bet we will see other "liberties taken in the name of creativity".

Such as Captain Apollo as a gay cowboy in assless chaps, the main Commander is played by Catherine Zeta Jones, the Cylons are an evil race of killer tentacled squid, the Vipers look like F-18 Hornets, and the Battlestar Galactica will look like a US aircraft carrier in space.

That's called Babylon 5.

I'm a fan of the original series and I still will be watching the new Sci-fi version. I do know this, give me a Broadsword and the Galatica would be stardust.

Bob McDob said:
That's called Babylon 5.

Nah. The Babylon 5 starfighters were definitely ripoffs of X-Wings.

On the SW track, about Olmos' comment: And I thought Ewan McGregor's bashing of the Episode II title was bad..

t.c.cgi said:
Not really. Aside from the character differences, the last bit sounded more like Space: Above and Beyond.

Yeah, that's the state of modern scifi.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I enjoyed Space: Above and Beyond when it was on. Why did the guys at Fox cancel it?

Ice Hellion said:
The more things change, the more they stay the same. I enjoyed Space: Above and Beyond when it was on. Why did the guys at Fox cancel it?

Here's the story...

They aired the first 22 episodes and got high ratings. Then for some reason they aired two more episodes unadvertised two months after the last episode. Due to the fact of having low ratings in the last two episodes (which is because they weren't advertised) FOX canceled the whole series.

It's amazing how people find ways to kill things people like, isn't it?

That's fanboy apologism -- the pilot of SAAB got good ratings... and the rest of the show did not. The show was aired in the proper order, with '.. Tell Our Momse We Done Our Best' being the last show aired.

SAAB was a great show -- but at the time it was the most expensive TV series ever produced, and FOX couldn't get high enough ratings to let it live (which is why they shifted it around at the end of their run). It'd be nice to blame somebody, but you can't in this situation -- the network spent millions of dollars on the show, they're not behind an evil evil conspiracy to kill it.

Ice Hellion said:
Is the sci-fi channel still playing them or not? If not is there anywhere where I can find them.

KaZaa has them readily available until DVDs are made.

Back