Battlefield 2142 demo

Edfilho said:
BF2 takes too long from double-clicking the icon to actually playing. UT2004 is a lot more hassle-free, for instance.
I hope that the new game's is better on that aspect.
ugh I hate it when they have a bunch of unskippable videos before the game starts up

medal of honor pacific assault was really bad about that, it showed an EA splash screen, an ad for intel, the developer's little video and then a long loading screen

Edfilho said:
BF2 takes too long from double-clicking the icon to actually playing. UT2004 is a lot more hassle-free, for instance.
I hope that the new game's is better on that aspect.
From what I've encountered in the demo it is. The load times are especially better.

This spyware they added is terrible. People shouldn't buy the game. I mean, you have no option to opt out of the damn thing during install. EA is really doing some questionable stuff to their costumers lately. People complained about the extra stuff in oblivion, but the new pay-to-play content in Tiger Woods is kinda silly.

Edfilho said:
This spyware they added is terrible. People shouldn't buy the game. I mean, you have no option to opt out of the damn thing during install. EA is really doing some questionable stuff to their costumers lately. People complained about the extra stuff in oblivion, but the new pay-to-play content in Tiger Woods is kinda silly.

Like what? Everyone is up in arms that you can pay to unlock stuff in the game that you'd ordinarily get from playing a whole bunch, but this is no different from companies selling cheat code books or game enhancers.

I've heard about this spyware in the game - but whys it so bad, exactly? I read all it does is slap new advertisements onto your game depending on your web browsing. While it is a touch disconcerting, I don't think its the horrifying end-all act the internet wants it to be.

I saw an interview with the people responsible for the advertising features -- it actually sounded really neat... they're having companies design futuristic ads appropriate for the year 2142.

It could be very neat, but the user should be at least aware or with the option of an opt-out. It's nothing catastrophic, but spyware is not the nicest thing in the world. Some people don't care, but a lot of people do, and that's the problem.

LeHah said:
I've heard about this spyware in the game - but whys it so bad, exactly? I read all it does is slap new advertisements onto your game depending on your web browsing. While it is a touch disconcerting, I don't think its the horrifying end-all act the internet wants it to be.
I figure nerds think its the end of the world because EA is doing it

there are much worse things they could do, this is just a new, kind of neat way of adding a little extra long-term revenue

I'd like to be bothered by such things, but the internet is just so terribly consistent with its righteous indignation routine -- it gets a little tired.

This isn't "spyware" in the sense with which any of us are familiar -- secretly installed programs that slow down our computers constantly and copy our personal information. As the disclamer linked to above clearly says, this is something that runs only when you're playing Battlefield 2142 and provides EA with entirely anonymous information. Labeling it such and raging in the typical fashion is a heck of a lot more misleading than EA was... heck, as horrified as the bandwagon is by all this, it's pretty clear that Battlefield 2142 lets *everyone* know that this feature exists before they can even play the game.

Where, exactly, is the wrong?

Delance said:
It could be very neat, but the user should be at least aware or with the option of an opt-out. It's nothing catastrophic, but spyware is not the nicest thing in the world. Some people don't care, but a lot of people do, and that's the problem.

There's a giant piece of paper explaining what's going on inside the box. Every user is completely aware, and there is no attempt on EA's part for this to be a secret program. I'm not aware of any game with in-game advertising the offers any option to opt-out, but that's beside the point.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'd like to be bothered by such things, but the internet is just so terribly consistent with its righteous indignation routine -- it gets a little tired.

This isn't "spyware" in the sense with which any of us are familiar -- secretly installed programs that slow down our computers constantly and copy our personal information. As the disclamer linked to above clearly says, this is something that runs only when you're playing Battlefield 2142 and provides EA with entirely anonymous information. Labeling it such and raging in the typical fashion is a heck of a lot more misleading than EA was... heck, as horrified as the bandwagon is by all this, it's pretty clear that Battlefield 2142 lets *everyone* know that this feature exists before they can even play the game.

Where, exactly, is the wrong?
Idiocy isn't halted by reason, ufortunately... :(

Back