Batman TAS DVD Vol. 1 to 3

vindicator

Rear Admiral
Hey folks,

I just wanted to let you know that the old batman the animated series 1992-95 turned out to be the best volume sets I have ever purchased. I am, of course biased as I really think Batman from 13 years ago set a quality standard for cartoons that has never ever been matched in animation since.

For about $105 you can get all 3 volumes 86 cartoons and several bonus features including a clip of Mark Hamill talking about how he decided to play the joker. The Director producer comentary on some key episodes round this out as a fantastic buy for anyone looking for a good superhero box set.

-Rance-

I bought those. They're nice. Volume 4 comes out in a few months I think.

Batman the cartoon was always pretty good, looking back i've always prefered marvel comics over DC but in the animated format DC's cartoons (Batman, Batman of the future and justice league) has alway won out over any Marvel cartoon i've seen.

Loved X-men when I was a kid, but looking back the animation, voices, colours and scipts all kinda annoy me now. They don't have that timeless quality that Batman the animated series has.

Has anyone seen Crest of the Stars? That was an incredible animated series that I really didn't think I'd like. Great space battles and really interesting characters.

I loved the X-Men cartoon. The older one. They had (have?) a newer one that I hated though.

Paddybhoy said:
Loved X-men when I was a kid, but looking back the animation, voices, colours and scipts all kinda annoy me now. They don't have that timeless quality that Batman the animated series has.

Batman is guilty of just as many issues as X-Men, albeit less severe. Episodes like "Beware The Grey Ghost" and the second season of the "Gotham Knights"/WB Season were fraught with piss-poor animation, and large technical problems from the get-go.

I can give several merits to X-Men that Batman failed at - the limited animation was presented with artwork that was extremely alike to the 90s era artwork found in the comics, the greater story continuity spanning the entire show's run and having voice actors equal to those on Batman for a much, much smaller pricetag.

While I agree with Lehah in some regaurds I will say again Batman set the standard to what a cartoon could be. X-Men came after Batman had taken all the risks and fought the censors and the box that cartoons were in. X-Men can't be considered in the same breath because it was not until 93-94 after Batman had shown what could be done that X-Men gets produced. The lower price tag is kind of a weak argument as well. I don't hand out credit to people that come along after the fact that someone else took a risk and found out it worked.

As for Gotham Knights. Alot changed between the series, one main thing was the fact that sunrise entertainment was not a part of this series and alot of the original art team had departed. It ended up messing with the chemistry and then they tried to reinvent their success. To a large degree though, I still liked it.

vindicator said:
X-Men came after Batman had taken all the risks

Batman and X-Men were both released in 1992. Batman had a five day a week spot, while X-Men was shown only on Saturdays at 11 on FOX networks.

vindicator said:
and fought the censors

That doesn't amount to anything. The Real Ghostbusters was pulled off the air because of family groups and censors.

vindicator said:
The lower price tag is kind of a weak argument as well.

Apparently, you have no idea how much money it takes to make an animated series. Its a great deal more than most sitcoms per episode.

vindicator said:
I don't hand out credit to people that come along after the fact that someone else took a risk and found out it worked.

Yeah, thank god Miyazaki came along to rescue us from Richard Williams, right? Jesus Christ, you are an idiot.

vindicator said:
Alot changed between the series, one main thing was the fact that sunrise entertainment was not a part of this series

That has nothing to do with anything. The FOX years of Batman: TAS was done by about 5 or 6 different animation studios to meet the time restrictions set by FOX. This is the completely opposite situation of X-Men, which used an in-house animation studio for the sole-purpose of creating X-Men episodes. It wasn't until Saban begged a number of more episodes out of FOX to finish the series that they were forced to use an outside contractor; FOX had already disolved the in-house studio weeks after finishing initially-contracted 65 episode run.

vindicator said:
and alot of the original art team had departed.

To work down the hall on Superman. Curt Geda was working on any number of projects at a time - Superman, Batman Beyond, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker, The Zeta Project - which requires immense loads - years, even - of pre-production before anything is even shipped off over to Asia for animation.

You seem to like the sound of your own awful voice. Kindly, do not tell me what I mean again or be faced with me calling you something four-lettered and less than savory.

LeHah said:
Batman and X-Men were both released in 1992. Batman had a five day a week spot, while X-Men was shown only on Saturdays at 11 on FOX networks.

The production of Batman TAS began in 1990-1991 X-Men Really did not set any standards and in fact, when put up against a batman Episode the script is not as adult or emotion driven as batman was I stated a taste. I said that Batman set a standard of quality and substance while it took X-Men a season to stop being flashy and get a bit serious. I'm not saying X-Men wasn't good but in my opinion Batman was better

LeHah said:
That doesn't amount to anything. The Real Ghostbusters was pulled off the air because of family groups and censors.

Real GhostBusters? Jesus, you can't draw a line to that, it was crap. You do realize that before batman all guns had to be lasers? You couldn't even show someone dying until this show took on Broadcast Standards and practices.
You obviously don't respect batman and love X-Men so much that you think attacking the show and pointing out it's flaws will make X-Men stack up better

LeHah said:
Apparently, you have no idea how much money it takes to make an animated series. Its a great deal more than most sitcoms per episode.

I don't look at money, since I am a fan and you are not a petty thing such as money doesn't affect me. Since I am a fan, I perfer quality over cheapness. The 40's look of the Batman show pleases me more than the flashy ninties and makes it timeless.

LeHah said:
Yeah, thank god Miyazaki came along to rescue us from Richard Williams, right? Jesus Christ, you are an idiot.

You're the one attacking my opinion as if I was preaching some kind of gospel to the masses. You blew this way out of it's original context. I simply was encouraging people to buy this DVD set.

LeHah said:
That has nothing to do with anything. The FOX years of Batman: TAS was done by about 5 or 6 different animation studios to meet the time restrictions set by FOX. This is the completely opposite situation of X-Men, which used an in-house animation studio for the sole-purpose of creating X-Men episodes. It wasn't until Saban begged a number of more episodes out of FOX to finish the series that they were forced to use an outside contractor; FOX had already disolved the in-house studio weeks after finishing initially-contracted 65 episode run.

Come on now, you don't honestly expect to destroy my argument simply pointing out differences?

LeHah said:
To work down the hall on Superman. Curt Geda was working on any number of projects at a time - Superman, Batman Beyond, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker, The Zeta Project - which requires immense loads - years, even - of pre-production before anything is even shipped off over to Asia for animation.

Shouldn't you then give more leway for there being such a good product out there?

LeHah said:
You seem to like the sound of your own awful voice. Kindly, do not tell me what I mean again or be faced with me calling you something four-lettered and less than savory.

Eh....

So really after all that, I still encourage you folks to buy this set If ace is correct then the Gotham Knights will be volume four as the WB eventually renamed the show the new advantures of Batman. I might skip Volume four, I never really got into gotham knights.

-Rance-

vindicator said:
The production of Batman TAS began in 1990-1991

While X-Men was miracled out of the clear blue sky?

vindicator said:
X-Men Really did not set any standards

Nor did Batman, especially. Except for the standards in voice acting. But even then, people Like Jerry Orbach, Adam West and The Harlem Globetrotters were in cartoons long before Paul Dini came onto Fox.

vindicator said:
and in fact, when put up against a batman Episode the script is not as adult or emotion driven as batman was I stated a taste.

And dealing with overtones of bigotry over 70 episodes isn't at all a mature subject matter? Get bent.

vindicator said:
I said that Batman set a standard of quality and substance

A standard? To be followed by...? To set a standard means it was to be followed by items of equal rank - and I think we can both agree that cartoons are just as silly today as they were 10 years ago.

vindicator said:
Real GhostBusters? Jesus, you can't draw a line to that, it was crap.

I'd suggest looking at the writers involved before opening your yap. J.M. DeMatteis, Michael Edens, Steve Perry, Michael Reaves, Linda Woolverton and J. Michael Straczynski were staff writers on the show.

(You keep using your fetid opinions as fact, and I'm just going to end this discussion here. I'm not here to handjob your semantics; I'm here to tell you you're an idiot by my using facts.)

vindicator said:
You do realize that before batman all guns had to be lasers?

So the fact that it had guns makes it "adult"? Thats asinine - I saw Bambi's mother get shot how many years prior?

vindicator said:
You couldn't even show someone dying until this show took on Broadcast Standards and practices.

You do realize how stupid that sounds. If the show "took on" Standards And Practices, it would've lost. The fact of the matter is it passed the censors. You make it sound like they were some kind of Catholic miracle.

vindicator said:
You obviously don't respect batman and love X-Men so much that you think attacking the show and pointing out it's flaws will make X-Men stack up better

I'm sorry, did I break your wittle heart? I didn't know I had to live up to your standards, Patton. Get serious.

vindicator said:
I don't look at money, since I am a fan and you are not a petty thing such as money doesn't affect me. Since I am a fan, I perfer quality over cheapness. The 40's look of the Batman show pleases me more than the flashy ninties and makes it timeless.

Again, semantics. What you care about doesn't make me care any more or less about it. Your wild nonsense that "since I like Item X, that makes it valid" doesn't hold any water to anyone.

Money is a major factor in animation. Richard Williams holds the world record for film production because of money. It took him 28 years to never finish The Thief And The Cobbler, yet it set an unprecidented standard in animation thats never been matched by any studio before or since. It was the defining influence on Disney's "Aladdin" and was what got him the job to do "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" by Zemeckis and Spielberg.

But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

vindicator said:
You blew this way out of it's original context. I simply was encouraging people to buy this DVD set.

If I'm guilty of something, its telling you to go fuck yourself. I don't like people selling me their bullshit and nonsense like they're talking down their noses to me on a subject they only know the thinnest layer about. You can't hack it, man, give it the hell up.

vindicator said:
Real GhostBusters? Jesus, you can't draw a line to that, it was crap. You do realize that before batman all guns had to be lasers? You couldn't even show someone dying until this show took on Broadcast Standards and practices.

-Rance-

Holy crap, you didn't say that. I'd rather have a season of Real Ghostbusters than all the seasons of Batman. And I liked batman a lot.

Oh, and don't knock X-Men either.

I like X-Men, I'm not saying X-Men is bad, I'm just saying that Batman collected an emmy and set the stage for what cartoons should be. LeHah just decided to oppose me for no other reason than to oppose me. He'd argue agaisnt common sense if it was popular.
Never once have I said that in comparision one is better than the other through fact I only stated an opinion based on my particular tastes and thought processes if you don't like them, or think that they are stupid, tough, they're mine!

-Rance-

vindicator said:
I'm just saying that Batman collected an emmy

Batman got a nomination and an award thanks to Michael Reeves - who was a staff writter on that "crappy" show The Real Ghostbusters.

I liked Batman more, looking back the animation seemed more smooth the colours were better and it didn't have Storm doing an annoying monologue every time she used her powers (Jeans voice was annoying aswell). I still love X-men but I enjoy batman more and if somebody disagrees with me they can either explain it within this forum and be civil and not use expletives or they can fly over to Scotland and be as rude as they want to my face, just as long as they don't sue me for kicking the crap out of them for their lack of manners.

vindicator said:
You do realize that before batman all guns had to be lasers? You couldn't even show someone dying until this show took on Broadcast Standards and practices.

I've always wondered exactly when the censors decided on that rule, has to be sometime between Johnny Quest and GI Joe.

Back