Basic Feedback

kemstone

Spaceman
I've been playing the game for a few weeks now. I'm even more addicted than I was to the original! I think it's fantastic that you made this. For years I've been missing the Privateer universe and now I'm back and it's even better! So based on the game and what I've read in this forum there are just a few basic points in case any of the makers actually care:

1- Autotracking. I hope you don't get rid of it. It does make normal combat pathetically easy, but it's a god-sent when you're just getting started or for the tougher mission campaigns. If people want to be more true to the original they don't need to buy autotracking. But for the rest of us I hope it remains an option.

2- Asteroids. They were much more hazardous in the original. Now you can afterburn straight through a field and get hit maybe once or twice but never enough to do any damage. They should move faster and more erratically. Make it fun to fly through them and dangerous to do battle inside them.

3- The Nav Map. It's too complicated for its own good with all the zooming. I don't have a little roller on my mouse so I can't zoom in or out. I've been using a Wing Commander map I printed out from the website instead. I think the map should be more like the original, nice and simple with smaller circles for bases and planets and everything.

4- Buying ships. I think it's great that you can buy all sorts of ships that you couldn't get in the original. And it's also great that you can keep them all in a fleet. I don't know why anyone would complain about this. It keeps you playing a lot longer to keep collecting and refurbishing ships.

5- Money. It's a lot easier to make a lot of money really really fast in this version. Once you get a decent ship you can go on runs which will get you up to half a million credits in a single blow. This is slightly ridiculous. Makes you feel like you're just wasting time whenever you're on a normal mission.

6- Warp animations. Some people want them, I think there's no need for them. They got boring in the original after 8 million times anyway. I like how there's just a burst of light and then you're in the next system. I guess it's more "realistic" in that it doesn't take you out of the game for a few seconds to watch a little cut-video.

7- Repair droids. I'm sure this has been said a million times, but it would be nice if they actually did something.

8- The main mission campaign. There were a few minor glitches (like the great variations in the dialog volume) but I played through it nicely. I just miss how when the people talked to you, their lips actually moved, and when you were talking, you could see yourself. It doesn't seem like this would be too complicated to program and I think it should be dealt with in later versions.

Other than that, I'm completely satisfied with this game and thank the makers for providing me with hours and hours (way too many hours actually) of entertainment! Keep up the awesome job!

1) I think you can turn off autotracking inflgiht with 'k'
2) we're workiung on asteroids
3) I think you can click and drag with the center button down...
4) well there will be a purist version without any other ships at all released by John--that way both parties should be happy (though I suspect most people who don't want to fly other ships will just play the dosbox version anyway)
5) ya this is something we really regret--we usually tested it near the beginning--but in midgame these missions with insane payouts come along---we gotta fix that for 1.1
6) well those seconds are spent loading the next system ;-)
7) they do--just slowly--add that RepairDroidTime thing to your config file as mentioned elsewhere
8) doesn't seem to complicated?! you're dreaming pal... it ain't gonna happen. *you* try programming that

glad you likes :) I'm sure 1.1 will address most of your concerns

It happens that the original had those interactions hardcoded, probably. But VS has a generic interface, strongly structured, which makes such things difficult. To be able to do that, you have to first make them easier by restructuring VS. That is what is hard.

hellcatv said:
6) well those seconds are spent loading the next system ;-)
Er, on my machine at least, the game freezes while the maps load, a bit before and a bit afterwards.

Overall though, despite some gripes, the work all you PR guys have done is awesome to the max!

Back