Barbaric cultures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob McDob said:
That's an odd response from someone who lists "Sex with men" as one of his interests :confused:
Hmmm, "Plagiarism: How Bob McDobb got to where he is today"...

Musta brought you back to your good ol' days in University, eh?...
Nice try, Bob. Too bad you had to alter reality to do it... :rolleyes: :p

BTW, when you were editing my profile, you left out the part about "volleyball" under "Interests"...

vindicator said:
My thread has been perverted oh how I have helped you oh how I helped you!!!!

BTW preacher I love you you can treat me like the naughty sinner I am any day.

WTF?... wait, I don't wanna know. Nevermind.

Preacher you are so dense you know what I need some hot barbaric religous S&M from you who knows maybe you can take me to the promised land ::wink::

-Rance-

For the barbarian references I have watched the History channel on some of them. The Visigoths (goths), and the other people of europe, including the huns from the east were called barbarians because they were not Roman. The name barbarian actually changed meaning during the Roman era, because the tribes of europe essentially became Roman.

vindicator said:
Preacher you are so dense you know what I need some hot barbaric religous S&M from you who knows maybe you can take me to the promised land ::wink::
Don't push it - this joke's gone far enough already.

No, I'm far from a PC person. I am an anthropology major and we deal with issues such as this. Lewis Henry Morgan created a unilinear evolutionary path that he thought cultures went through (Savagery-->Barbarism--->Civilization) each were split into smaller sections (lower, middle, and upper) depending on level of technology.
Nowadays we do not follow this model, as someone brought up earlier cultural relativism is one of the more modern ideas. I just find it demeaning to call a people who were able to survive and expand their culture can be called barbarians. They merely used tactics which to some seem to be not correct in acheiving the resources needed for sustaining life.

would it be demeaning to call germans Barbarians or do we make this term subjective?
reffering of course to their extermination of the jews

-Rance-

It all depends on what defination of barbaric one was trying to express. The word barbaric has come to mean of people who tend to view other humans beings as fodder in their quest for more. I was just expressing my discontent with the history channel appealing to popular beliefs by callin such groups of people barbaric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back