Barbaric cultures

Status
Not open for further replies.

vindicator

Rear Admiral
The History Channel is goning to have a series on the barbaric cultures of the past vikings and goths and monguls etc... anyone that likes that kind of stuff should watch Monday January 19 at 9 pm pacific time

Just for fun I was wondering if any of you had a favorite barbaric culture

I liked the the Vikings although they never possesed an empire they were passionate when it came to warring their thirst to conquer (sp) is kinda neat

-Rance-

They were great navigators too. They discovered America like 200 years before Colombus.
Yay! Vikings. Burn the village and steel the women. :D

K1nG Gr4H4m said:
They were great navigators too. They discovered America like 200 years before Colombus.
Yay! Vikings. Burn the village and steel the women. :D
Yeah, but wouldn't metal women be damn cold on winter's night? ;)

Sorry, I'm a smart ass and I couldn't resist. :D

the old saying goes "It's all pink, and it's all good", but does that apply for metalic women? And, would you lubricate with motor oil?

The use of the word barbaric to describe a people's level of cultural advancement is an incorrect and outdated method of sorting them. I'm an anthropology major, and we do not break down cultures into the old categories of Lewis Henry Morgan. The history channel I'm assuming is talking about the tribes of ancient europe that roamed the northern areas.

The actual name of the show, and the way it's being promoted, is "The Barbarians are Coming".

Yeah the reactions of women are great apparently they were so afraid of the invaders the killed themselves rather than be captured or whatever

-Rance-

Dundradal said:
The use of the word barbaric to describe

Yeah, we know, Cultural Relativism, Moral Relativism, yada yada. The Kilrathi are not barbaric when they terraform a world with proton bombs. It's just their culture. Just don't go tell that to Hawk! :rolleyes:

I hadn't seen any mention of the Republican Party on this thread yet. Afterall, we're so barbaric we put to death people who murder others :(

My thread has been perverted oh how I have helped you oh how I helped you!!!! :(

BTW preacher I love you you can treat me like the naughty sinner I am any day :)

-Rance-

Delance said:
Yeah, we know, Cultural Relativism, Moral Relativism, yada yada. The Kilrathi are not barbaric when they terraform a world with proton bombs. It's just their culture. Just don't go tell that to Hawk! :rolleyes:

Using the word barbaric to describe their actions is just not what we would say in anthropology. Using proton bombs to terraform a planet (I don't even think that would work?) is merely using different techniques to achieve goals. Barbarism is a left over word from a leftover time...

are you one of those political correctness people well personaly if we call these people barbarians theyre all dead I dont think they care too much

-Rance-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back