Balancing Gilgamesh vs. Ralatha

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I wonder why there is such a large difference between the strengths of the Ralatha and the Gilgamesh. We see Ralatha V Gilgamesh battles plenty of times during WC2 and the Gilgamesh seems to hold its own. Heck, in End Run, the Intrepid held its own against a Fralthra until they mutually killed each other. Were you basing their stats off the information out of the WC2 Joans?

The ships' values derive directly from the CIC database (where applicable) or from the game(s). Honestly, I agree with you: The Ralatha seems to be too heavily armored. In WCTO, it would take 4 torpedo hits to take one down...
Somewhere down the line I'm afraid I'll have to make a decision between messing up with the WC stats or the game's balance.

Hmm - but we know only two torps are necessary in-game, right?

That seems to be the real art when it comes to game design, whether original or fan based. There's always this elusive fine line that, when found, results in a wonderfully balanced gaming experience. I suppose that element, more than any other, makes or breaks great games...

Well the game should be a bit more balanced. Have the Gilgamesh take two torpedoes to die and the Ralatha three. That will offset the faster speed that the Gilgamesh has (per End Run).

If we wanted to be really true to WC2, each capship could be downed with one single torpedo. I already made a decision against that when I reduced a torpedo's in-game effectiveness...

Okay, let's see: Three torpedoes for a Ralatha would mean we had to bring down its hull points to <= 1,500. On the other hand, making the Gilgamesh faster isn't really an option. It would then run at a speed of 4, which is way too fast compared to the Kilrathi heavy fighters. And we'd also have the same problem again with a torpedo that can't catch up with a capship.
I think I could live with the three torps solution, and the Ralatha definitely has to be more expensive (points wise) than the Gilgamesh.

If we wanted to be really true to WC2, each capship could be downed with one single torpedo. I already made a decision against that when I reduced a torpedo's in-game effectiveness...

Except that it takes 2 torps in WC2 to down almost any capship (exceptions being the Kamekh (and Dorkathi, but I mean, c'mon... :D )

What are you referring to here when you come up with only 1 torp? In game armor vs damage points?

Except that it takes 2 torps in WC2 to down almost any capship (exceptions being the Kamekh (and Dorkathi, but I mean, c'mon... :D )

What are you referring to here when you come up with only 1 torp? In game armor vs damage points?
Um, no, I actually referred to WC2 gameplay. You sure it took 2 torps? I can't remember any occasion where I needed more than 1 of them to finish off any capital target. Except when my torpedo was shot down by the enemy's flak fire.
(The Ralatha's hull points refer to in-game armor, though.)

Every Kilrathi capital ship and base (Including KMang) with the exception of the Dorkathi requires two torpedos to kill in WC2.

I guess I'll have to replay some torpedo runs in WC2, then... It really never occured to me - or I forgot about it. :eek:

Back