Balancing Act: Cloaking Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm not exactly sure how you guys remade the game so I don't know if you can deal with some of the things I propose.

Anyway, the cloaking device is a major imbalance in the game. It's cool enough to stay there (and it is part of WC after all), but some things need to be done.

First of all, I got it for free...which is not cool. The price is listed as 0.00 where I "bought" it. We'll develop an idea of what the price should be later on in my post, after we review the imbalances it introduces.

Cloaking isn't such a big deal when you are in a fight, since the time it takes your shields to recharge is quite significant. I've used it once or twice to get out of the thick of things and catch my breath at 10-15,000 km, but that's not really abuse of the device.

The cloaking device is most valuable for traders and people running cargo missions. If I'm running cargo, there really is no incentive for me to <i>un</i>cloak. I bypass all sorts of enemies along the way, allowing me to complete the most dangerous cargo runs with ease. Plus, I recently took a mission running Brilliance to New Constantinople (mission computer, not the campaign one) and was able to evade detection by simply cloaking myself.

In order to balance these effects, we don't need to nerf the power of the cloaking device. The loss of shields is penalty enough. However, in the situation I propose, that penalty never takes effect because the player never decloaks. All we need to do is to give players an incentive to uncloak from time to time.

If it's possible, I would suggest that we somehow disallow Autpilot while a craft is cloaked. Why do I suggest something so completely unrelated? Well, it's simple, really: it's a way to force to periodic decloaking of ships.

As it is right now, after you initiate the cloak you can even Autopilot out of combat. If we disable the ability to Autopilot while cloaked, we can remedy this sort of abuse. Players will still be able to potentially do their Brilliance runs or Cargo Missions without fighting a single raider, but they'll either have to sit there and be bored (no autopilot means much longer flights) or they'll have to expose themselves to the possibility of combat by decloaking in order to autopilot (of course there won't be any enemies where they are entering autopilot...but their arrival at the destination point will be fair game).

Anyway, I don't think there's any need to drop the idea, or to implement energy drain or special detection. I think the combination of this limitation and a fairly expensive installation price will be enough to temper the issue. Considering how much damage a cloak can prevent you receiving, I would say that something between 75,000 and 125,000 is not unreasonable for the shield.

I'm working on having the cloaking device eat up reactor power and turn itself off when you're out of juice, also (in WCU at least) you DO pay for it, quite a lot actually...

also I think that only small ships should have the CanCloak flag. The way I would do it, the only flyable ships you can get which are cloakable are Stilettos, Tarsus and Talon -- MAYBE a Demon. That also makes it worthwhile to keep your Tarsus since it would be the only cloakable ship with significant cargo space.

you can do that by disallowing cloak on the .template
as for eating power--I'm pretty sure the csv has slots for power consumption of cloaking devices

yeah, the only thing is....what trader is going to be able to logically and realistically get his hands on one hella rare piece of equipment? the cats are about the only ones that have it...in confed, only paladins ship and then later on towards the end of the war they had it. the cats were VERY gaurded about them. and if you absolutely MUST have this piece of techonology...it'd be be so prohibitively expensive on the black market so as to make it laughable to get one.

make it suck down fuel like in escape velocity. Not reactor power but jump fuel. That would limit its use to only really desparate situations.

The cloaking device really wasn't a good idea, but it's no use to complain about it now. No matter how much you tweak around with it now, it's in the source, and people will simply reactivate it or change the parameters if you try to get at it with a patch.

My suggestion: Roll out a patch that fixes the issue without announcing it to the users. Let the patch do something beautiful to the game, but also let it incoporate some lines that let the cloak malfunction. Maybe even incorporate a barkeeper rumor that some new technology/some nautral occurence has come up that makes the cloak switch off, or overload, or desintegrate.

I don't know how your team sees it, but if you all agree that the cloak was a bad idea, then act - don't let a bunch of fanboy players dictate what they want from the game, and don't give them the tools to break what you just wanted to fix.

What are you "fundamentalist gamers"????

QUOTE :"My suggestion: Roll out a patch that fixes the issue without announcing it to the users. Let the patch do something beautiful to the game, but also let it incoporate some lines that let the cloak malfunction. Maybe even incorporate a barkeeper rumor that some new technology/some nautral occurence has come up that makes the cloak switch off, or overload, or desintegrate.

I don't know how your team sees it, but if you all agree that the cloak was a bad idea, then act- don't let a bunch of fanboy players dicatate what they want from the game, and don't give them the tools to break what you just wanted to fix." END QUOTE

I keep reading these posts about what NEEDS to be removed from the Privateer remake... What is wrong with you people? There will likely never be another commercial wing commander game and this is one of the few opportunities that there is for new content to be added to an old game. Here the remake team has added so much interesting content like being able to land on capships (something so common in other WC games) and the kilrathi weapon stash that was rumored in bars and often searched for by original privateer players. Everyone loved the original privateer because it was such a flexible game and you could do so many things. Now, new abilities and flyable ships have been added making it even more open ended and true to the original ideals of privateer and you're all in here complaining about it????????????? Hey, if you want to be a fundamentalist and purist gamer and play the old privateer exactly the way it was then DO IT! Get dosbox and play the original! But STOP trying to ruin what is a great project and clearly a lot of hard work on the part of the remake team! If you don't want to fly a gladius because it ruins the purity of your sterile never-changing world then DON'T, but stop telling the remake team and every other fan that enjoys being able to do new and interesting things in a Wing Commander game that they shouldn't be able to fly one either! Why is it that for you to be able to enjoy a SINGLE PLAYER game, you need everyone to be forced to play it the way you want to????
P.S> The "you" is not directed at the author of only this post but rather all of the people in the "Proper Remake?" thread as well. The comments are not meant to be a personal attack on anyone.

StarSlayer said:
I keep reading these posts about what NEEDS to be removed from the Privateer remake... What is wrong with you people? There will likely never be another commercial wing commander game and this is one of the few opportunities that there is for new content to be added to an old game. Here the remake team has added so much interesting content like being able to land on capships (something so common in other WC games) and the kilrathi weapon stash that was rumored in bars

The Kilrathi weapons stash referred to the Steltek Derelict. But there most certainly will be a new Wing Commander game at some point, and there are plenty of fan projects going about creating new things. Isn't that what that WC Universe expansion to the Priv Remake supposed to be? I think people are talking about removing things because the Priv Remake is supposed to be a Privateer Remake, not an entirely new game full of random new ideas. There are plenty of other fan projects to add new content in.

"Yeah let's put everything in... Nephilim Battleships would be nice too? Maybe flying around with that Nephilim Portal and play catching other ships with it FUNNNNNY !!! and the Vesuvius would be awesome too with these large amount of turrets and Burrows could be morphcloned into Tolwyn, why always playing the same guy if we could make him morph to another person? And money must be cut off, i like to take everything for free from my shipdealer - that's MORE FUN. Well and i think Hobbes and Angel should be available as a Wingman would be WHOOOOOP!! i like to fly with them again... yeah add this stuff and the Remake would be A LOT BETTER!!! Hey BTW blowing up ships is too hard, could you reserve a key to blow up the whole system where i'm in...?"

-the usual fanboy

Just say NO!
Privateer Remake QA department

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back